Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Linux Servers

Support::Linux Servers Support forum for Linux EQEMu users.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:07 PM
eqwarrior
Sarnak

Question Zone's mem growing too big

I'm running the server on Debian and have Anguish as one of our high end raid zones. When I boot up the server for the first time, the process name zone for "./zone anguish zone" starts at 20 megs of memory, but after 2 days, its up to 1 gig of memory being used for that one zone. Is it possible there is a memory leak in one of my quest files for anguish? There are about 17 bosses in there with scripted events.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Yeormom
Discordant

Well you're quest files don't contain the leak but the functions they call could be losing memory. I removed about a dozen leaks in the quest manager class a few months back so I know they do exist. If it is explicitly occurring in the zone with heavy quests, you've already narrowed the memory leak down to that subset.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Derision
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqwarrior View Post
Is it possible there is a memory leak in one of my quest files for anguish? There are about 17 bosses in there with scripted events.
If you are running Linux and suspect a memory leak, install valgrind, move a character to anguish and boot that zone with this script:

Code:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:.
valgrind --log-file=valglog --leak-check=full --show-reachable=yes ./zone anguish
Then run around triggering your scripts for a while, camp out and then CTRL-C the zone and you should have a text file called valglog.<processid> detailing where the memory leaks are occurring. Post it here or PM it and I'll take a look.

You don't want to do this on a 'live' server as valgrind adds a substantial overhead because of all the checking it does.

Last edited by Derision; 07-23-2009 at 01:09 AM..
Old 07-23-2009, 12:51 AM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeormom View Post
I removed about a dozen leaks in the quest manager class a few months back
Good fixes are always nice to share! This is open source, after-all.