Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Spell Support

Spell Support Broken Spells? Want them Fixed? Request it here.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:51 AM
strugglegenerator
Hill Giant

Default Missing Spell: Calefaction

The druid/ranger Spell: Calefaction is missing from PEQ, so I'm trying to add it (unsuccessfully). Here's what I did...

Updated the "items" data table with the following:
1) Picked a similar item (Spell: Starfire, Item ID 15671) in the "items" data table
2) Duplicated the row for Spell: Starfire
3) Found an un-used item ID 116636 in the "items" data table
4) Copied all of the data from Spell: Starfire into the un-used item ID 116636
5) Changed the name of the spell from "Starfire" to "Calefaction"
6) Changed the "scrolleffect" from 671 to 13847

Updated the "spells_new" data table with the following:
1) Picked an unused spell (ID 13847)
2) Found Starfire's ID 671 and duplicated it's row
3) Changed the ID from 671 to 13847
4) Changed the "classes6" number to 44 (Druids)
5) Changed the "classes4" number to 59 (Rangers)
6) Changed the descrnum to 13847
7) Changed the mana, damage, range, recast time to match Calefaction

Updated the "db_str" data table with the following:
ID: 13847 Type: 1 Value: Calefaction
ID: 13847 Type: 2 Value: Calefaction
ID: 13847 Type: 4 Value: Ignites your target's skin, doing between 444 and 450 damage.

Exported my server files into the "export" folder
Copied the exported "spells_us.txt" and "dbstr_us.txt" server files into my EQclients root folder

Loaded up the server
Loaded up the client

Logged in.
Targeted myself and typed #giveitem 116636
Received the scroll for Spell: Calefaction
Right clicked the Spell: Calefaction
It says RNG (255) and DRU (255)

Tried to scribe the spell using the scroll and it says "Your class can never use this item"

Tried to scribe the spell using #scribespell 13847 and received an error "Unable to scribe spell Calefaction (13847) to your spellbook.

I checked my dbstr_us.txt file and it does have Calefaction in there under the correct ID. My spells_us.txt file also has Calefaction in it under the correct ID. Everything appears to be setup correctly, even though it's not working in game.

If I switch the "scrolleffect" from 13847 to 671, it lets me scribe the spell Calefaction, but it has the same stats as Starfire. So to me, it appears as if 13847 is not being pulled from my dbstr_us.txt file properly, even though it's there.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have read every post on these forums related to this topic and nothing has worked for me.

Please do not bash me. I did not write this post without spending DAYS researching and trying things myself. This post was made because I have exhausted all possible methods to fix it based on the knowledge from these forums.

Thank you in advance for your help and support. Once I get this resolved, I'm going to post a guide on exactly how to do this so nobody has to go through what I just went through again.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:00 PM
Uleat
Developer

Did you run shared_memory before exporting the client files?

Not sure if the exporter uses direct db access or the pre-parsed files.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 06-07-2019, 12:42 PM
strugglegenerator
Hill Giant

Thanks for the advice Uleat =) I did not run shared_memory before exporting the client files, but I just did it as a test and I'm still seeing the same issue.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:48 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

The spell isn't missing, it was renamed in 2006 to Dustdevil.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:31 PM
strugglegenerator
Hill Giant

Thank you demonstar55. I didn't realize it was renamed to Dustdevil in 2006. I was able to find the spell, summon it's scroll and scribe it, but that's not Calefaction, it's a completely different spell (AoE) with the wrong levels, mana, range, etc.

Obviously I can edit this spell to be what Calefaction used to be, which is probably what I'll end up doing, but I would still like to know why I can't simply add a spell to the game using the method from my original post.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:36 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Ahhh it's not an AOE on PEQ???
Old 06-07-2019, 01:55 PM
strugglegenerator
Hill Giant

I'm trying to make a classic version of Calefaction on my server. The original was just a fire based direct damage spell, not an AOE.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:10 PM
chrsschb
Dragon

Calefaction makes more sense. The original spell was fire-based and the description said it ignites blah blah. Then they renamed it to the Air (magic) line, which is supposed to have a stun component, but didn't ever add the stun component (neither are, or ever were, AOE spells). If you can find old copies of Calefaction on Live they scribe as Dustdevil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uleat View Post
Did you run shared_memory before exporting the client files?

Not sure if the exporter uses direct db access or the pre-parsed files.
Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by strugglegenerator View Post
Obviously I can edit this spell to be what Calefaction used to be, which is probably what I'll end up doing, but I would still like to know why I can't simply add a spell to the game using the method from my original post.
The biggest thing for me is making sure the entries are in spells_us and dbstr_us. Like manually open the files and find your entries. They should both be there.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:02 PM
strugglegenerator
Hill Giant

Thank you for the response chrsschb. I confirmed by manually opening spells_us and dbstr_us and all of the entries were there with the correct corresponding ID's.

Since it just isn't working this way, I decided to just take the Spell: Ancient Starfire and use that instead. I tweaked it's stats, name, etc and turned it into Calefaction. I still want to figure out why I couldn't do it the way I was doing it, but for now, at least the spell is in the game and fully functional- both as a scroll and a scribed spell.