Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Tools

Archive::Tools Archive area for Tools's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 09-05-2004, 12:07 AM
KhaN
Dragon

Default Omen of War files (EQG, LIT, MOD, ZON, ANI)

Hello,

Last days, i investigated about new file system introduced with Omen of War, im posting this to share what i found.

With this new file system, SOE totally dropped WLD system (Thanks !), now zones look to be scattered into many ojects/zone parts (MOD), that are assembled into one file (ZON), like they were in WLD.
Two important thing is that Omen of War zones look like to have Bump Mapping textures (Now, we know why OoW zone look kick ass), and maybe active shadows (Still need to get confirmation on this), but with Omen of War, it look like SOE resigned in using more DX9 possibilities, even if lots are missing (Pixel Shading ?!). All we can hope is Omen of War is a beta of the new EQ Graphic Engine SOE is speaking since a moment now.

EQG : Appear to be a container such as S3D files were, EQG files contain all files related to the zone itself (LIT, MOD, DDS, ZON), it look like SOE is using a software called "ffcreate2.exe" to create (package all files) EQG files, but i was unable to find it in any EQ files.
ZON : Zone file containing all objects (MOD) reference, as well zone specificities.
MOD : Objects containing all informations related to it such as materials, specificities.
LIT : Lit vertices was a DirectX function introduced with DX8.1, if you want to know more, here is a good information website http://www.thehavok.co.uk/scene/32bi...1worldtri.php/.
DDS : Zone/Objects texture "*_c.dds" is for texture, "*_n.dds" is for bump mapping.
TER : Terrain, Ground mesh of the zone.
ANI : Only found in EQG NPC files, appear to be animation of models (MOD), where the MOD is the static mesh, and ANI the bone animated model.
BMP : Used for Zone Heightmaps.

I havent found where are located sounds, musics.

If any of you made some investigation, please, feel free to post what you found here.

Old 09-05-2004, 12:31 AM
killspree
Dragon

Hmm...maybe TER is short for terrain?
Old 09-05-2004, 12:39 AM
KhaN
Dragon

Yes TER files are definitivly the ground mesh of the zone, while the ZON file contain zone/object reference, updated post.

Old 09-06-2004, 09:24 AM
Zkhava
Hill Giant

KhAn...

I dont know where they are located but i do have them since im in beta

If you need, msg me on aim
Old 09-06-2004, 09:35 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

Quote:
I dont know where they are located but i do have them since im in beta
Khan has beta too obviously because he's deconstructing the files. ... What's your point zkhava? it didn't take anything special to get in beta. i havent played in 2 years logged on and saw them saying go here to join beta. lmfao.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:38 AM
Zkhava
Hill Giant

Quote:
it didn't take anything special to get in beta. i havent played in 2 years logged on and saw them saying go here to join beta. lmfao.
I know , heh... Same ... I Saw Omens of Beta Application... & In 3-5 Clicks on my mouse, I was in
Old 09-06-2004, 09:41 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

i on the other hand ignored it, cause i could care less about ANOTHER crappy eq expansion =)
Old 09-06-2004, 10:27 AM
killspree
Dragon

You don't even have to be in beta now to download the files from the eq patcher. :P

Edit: Btw zone music is still in .mp3 format as of the last time I patched the beta. Not sure about ambient sounds if there are any.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:15 AM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

I wonder if the .TER files are Terragen heightmaps...OpenZone can import Terragen heightmaps as well as .BMP heightmaps when creating zones...

WC

Nevermind...I checked one out. It looks like the replacement for .WLD or something...
Old 09-07-2004, 04:54 AM
smogo
Discordant

Yepeeh ! WC, glad to see you up on the works again
hmm -- this just ends of topic post in the thread :/
Old 09-07-2004, 05:48 AM
Rogean
Administrator

I noticed that the OoW Zones took a shitload more RAM Than any other EQ Zones, Would this be the reason?
Old 09-07-2004, 06:13 AM
fnemo
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean
I noticed that the OoW Zones took a shitload more RAM Than any other EQ Zones, Would this be the reason?
It's due to the new graphical functions/effects used.
Also if you dont have enough video ram, the system will use the main ram
so add to this the textures if they are bigger
Old 09-08-2004, 11:19 AM
Rogean
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnemo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean
It's due to the new graphical functions/effects used.
Also if you dont have enough video ram, the system will use the main ram
so add to this the textures if they are bigger
I have 128MB Video ram, and using ONE session of Everquest I was using 950/1024 RAM
Old 09-08-2004, 11:32 AM
smogo
Discordant

500+ Mb for a fps game session. It's just going crazy.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:54 AM
KhaN
Dragon

Quote:
If you look at OoW zones, its normal they took way more RAM, CPU process than any other EQ zones, mainly because OoW zones start to use some DX functions, and that zones contains way more polys, in OoW zones, you also load texture+BM when EQ zones only load textures.

The good thing now, would have to have this new file format figured, because for me, it could maybe make zones/mesh creation easier.

Quote:
500+ Mb for a fps game session. It's just going crazy.
Nothing really crazy here, 128/256mo on a graphic cards is ok for all the games generally, but MMO are differents, because you load more textures than any other games, because zones are largers and there are more NPC variety, meaning PC will have to load many textures.

WC, When you are back, log on IRC please, i will be online whole week-end :p