Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:41 AM
knowom
Discordant

Default EQemu on Android?

Seeing as you can run Linux on Android devices such as Ubuntu or Debian and you can run EQemu on Linux would it be possible to run EQemu off Android?

I doubt the performance would be optimal, but it seems like a interesting concept at least maybe it could be of some practical use to handle a few static zones or something?
Old 09-01-2013, 11:24 PM
Tyen05
Discordant

Unity3d compiles games to web, console, mobile

Eqbrowser.com has a link to source where a lot of work has been done building the client in unity3d
Old 09-27-2013, 03:27 PM
Corysia
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyen05 View Post
Unity3d compiles games to web, console, mobile

Eqbrowser.com has a link to source where a lot of work has been done building the client in unity3d
I can't see playing EQ on my phone. But my Nexus 7? That could be fun!
Old 08-19-2015, 06:47 AM
famined
Fire Beetle

Has any further progress been made on playing eq, emu or live, on android devices? I went to eqbrowser and it said that mobile devices were not supported. Just curious, all I have access to at work is my phone, I would love to be able to play eq!
Old 08-19-2015, 06:53 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

think he meant more along the lines of running a server.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:18 AM
famined
Fire Beetle

I am just interested in playing it right now

I don't want to stream it off my PC because I don't want to lock it up while I am gone. I just simply want to play eq on my avant and waste the hours away at work!
Old 08-19-2015, 02:02 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

not possible.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:09 PM
Shendare
Dragon

The EverQuest game client was designed and built for use on Windows only. It can be used on Linux-based operating systems only with a Windows emulator (emu-ception!)

There is no Windows emulator available for Android at this time, and I have not heard of anyone trying to make one, as any kind of performance would likely be unworkable.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:24 PM
provocating
Demi-God

He was talking about the server itself. I cannot imagine why you would attempt it anyway. I remember a prior thread on running it on a Raspberry Pi, not feasibly. Just because you can do something does not mean it is a good idea.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:29 PM
Shendare
Dragon

Ah, I misread "I am just interested in playing it right now" and was too lazy to read over the whole thread.

Android is built on Java, an interpreted language, running on a flavor of Linux. It's good for general purpose applications, but not for complex, performance-important, memory-consuming, database-crunching, file-system-thrashing server applications.

If you have a job where you can waste away work hours in a game (you bastard), and you don't want to use existing servers or run a server from your home network over the internet, you'd need to install the server on a work machine you can connect to, likely the one you'd be playing on.

You could only do that if IT gave you admin rights to install software like MySQL, PHP, Perl, etc., of course.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:17 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Could always just have a VM or something similar and RDP in or use something like Teamviewer (not recommended due to security concerns), but I'm sure there are ways to "play" it on Android, but not actually on Android.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:32 AM
Tyen05
Discordant

The biggest issue with "EQ on Android" is the screen space. Everything else is a non-factor.

edit: just realized OP was talking about serverside~ woops
Old 09-10-2015, 09:14 PM
knowom
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyen05 View Post
The biggest issue with "EQ on Android" is the screen space. Everything else is a non-factor.

edit: just realized OP was talking about serverside~ woops
Not a issue these days for Android Nvidia Shield Android TV has HDMI 2.0 4k support. It also can stream from a PC from a Maxwell based GPU. It has USB 3.0 support and 3GB of ram as well plus a stronger GPU than what I originally was thinking of at the time a Tegra K1.

To me the whole point would be to have it run from android device itself to take advantage of it's power efficiency to do either things play it via Linux/Wine or host a server on it. It sips power compared to a typical PC. I think it's more feasible today, but probably any of it's efficiency advantages are a lot less intriguing with the more efficient x86 CPU's available now. Not to mention capable older x86 CPU's that you could undervolt/underclock to save a lot on power.

You build a C2Q LGA771 mod adapter server for chump change these days and just undervolt one of those server chips which many of them had highly binned energy efficient lower TDP designs anyway that are still very decent CPU's.

In terms of just playing EQ on Android the Shield TV Console should be able to do so fairly trivially maybe even at 4K resolution EQ is not graphically demanding it's old as dirt. Basically all you'd need to do is run Linux on Android and use Wine for Linux and run EQ.

I'm pretty confident that if Shield TV Console can modestly emulate Wii Dolphin Emulator EQ wouldn't even be remotely challenging in terms of performance.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:33 AM
MarcusD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocating View Post
He was talking about the server itself. I cannot imagine why you would attempt it anyway. I remember a prior thread on running it on a Raspberry Pi, not feasibly. Just because you can do something does not mean it is a good idea.
Innovators push boundaries just fyi.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:36 AM
MarcusD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowom View Post
Not a issue these days for Android Nvidia Shield Android TV has HDMI 2.0 4k support. It also can stream from a PC from a Maxwell based GPU. It has USB 3.0 support and 3GB of ram as well plus a stronger GPU than what I originally was thinking of at the time a Tegra K1.

To me the whole point would be to have it run from android device itself to take advantage of it's power efficiency to do either things play it via Linux/Wine or host a server on it. It sips power compared to a typical PC. I think it's more feasible today, but probably any of it's efficiency advantages are a lot less intriguing with the more efficient x86 CPU's available now. Not to mention capable older x86 CPU's that you could undervolt/underclock to save a lot on power.

You build a C2Q LGA771 mod adapter server for chump change these days and just undervolt one of those server chips which many of them had highly binned energy efficient lower TDP designs anyway that are still very decent CPU's.

In terms of just playing EQ on Android the Shield TV Console should be able to do so fairly trivially maybe even at 4K resolution EQ is not graphically demanding it's old as dirt. Basically all you'd need to do is run Linux on Android and use Wine for Linux and run EQ.

I'm pretty confident that if Shield TV Console can modestly emulate Wii Dolphin Emulator EQ wouldn't even be remotely challenging in terms of performance.

I think getting away from the nasty x86 intel monopoly would be an excellent reason.