Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:15 AM
JimB_1958
Sarnak

Quote:
How is leniency on the use of cheat programs conducive to garnering preferred status? This may or may not have ever been an issue in the past; it is something worthy of consideration.
cheat
/CHēt/
verb

verb: cheat; 3rd person present: cheats; past tense: cheated; past participle: cheated; gerund or present participle: cheating

To act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination. "she always cheats at cards"

•deceive or trick. "he had cheated her out of everything she had"

noun: cheat; plural noun: cheats
A person who behaves dishonestly in order to gain an advantage.

------------

Since everyone is welcome to use these programs to enhance gameplay, No one is cheating or using cheat programs. It's only cheating if it is against the rules.

That being said... Now that I have played on Leets server, and seen his dedication and how much he cares that we are all enjoying ourselves... I would try any kind of server he decided to do. It's a great server.

-Parlin
Paladin of the Goonies
Old 08-12-2014, 08:10 AM
typenamehere
Sarnak

Default downtime?

Was wondering since the website is down, if we can get a length we can expect the server to further be down?
Old 08-12-2014, 08:57 AM
Leetsauce
Hill Giant

We should be operational this evening. Maintenance is important.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:58 AM
Leetsauce
Hill Giant

Also, thanks Parlin! Sorry for double post, but it was worth it. Apologies for downtime!
Old 08-12-2014, 12:13 PM
Tiran
Fire Beetle

I've played EQemu on and off for a long time, progressed a bit on THF, and EZserver and some others. I keep leaving EQemu for a bit because of work, but more so because the servers themselves are not alive. They may say 200-300 people online but its always 15 characters per 1 person.

The souce is legit, mainly for the activity /ooc wise, and also because the progression/80game is fun. At first I'd wished there was noobie armor in Crushbone/Paludal like the other servers but you gain money and can buy loot from the vendors as you progress.

Whatever, my 2c. Should be green, so people can actually see that people play. I selected it out of the wild one day cause it had over 100 people on.

-Lemonk
Old 08-12-2014, 12:23 PM
Leetsauce
Hill Giant

I appreciate the kind words, Lemonk. Glad you're having fun with it. When we bring the server back online I will be giving double xp for a few days to make up for the lost time. Stay tuned!
Old 08-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Zarkiue
Fire Beetle

Leet's server is legit, great people even better content and it's the only emu server that greed doesn't rule people will give away gear to help a newbie and the /ooc is very active and helpful. You couldn't ask for a better mix of content/players/dev owner. This will be my home until I stop playing Eq for good and let's face it we never stop forever.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:33 PM
bloodeus
Fire Beetle

Definitely a winner here. Fun times and a great community.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:18 PM
Leetsauce
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarkiue View Post
.....and it's the only emu server that greed doesn't rule people
Oddly enough, this seems to be true. As much emphasis as we have on the earning of money, people still do a lot of giving away. I always thought this was an interesting facet of our server, and ended up being something I enjoyed from a developer's standpoint.

I cannot stress enough how appreciative I am of you all posting on behalf of our server. Reading all these nice things has made my day.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:22 PM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

I liked leetsauce for the first 15 mins, but moment I learned warp/speed hacks are OK I just logged out.

It may be the greatest server ever, and I enjoy using MQ for multiboxing, but warping just kills it. If it does get green status, maybe have a note showing that what is normally defined as cheating is allowed.

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com
Old 08-12-2014, 04:01 PM
Sorce08
Fire Beetle

Default Mq2

I have been playing EQ and EQEmu for a long time. I have never looked into nor thought about using MQ2, as is the same with my friend that started playing Leet's server with me. He was the same, never thought of looking into it. Once he did, though, and convinced me to give it a try, we quickly agreed that it did not feel like nor should be considered "cheating". As mentioned above, it is only cheating if it is not allowed. If the owner of the server states that every player can use it and it is very easy to get started with because of helpful players, then it is by your own standards considered cheating. The server is based around being able to use MQ2 so why would you think otherwise?

I agree with everyone here on the positive comments. This server is a lot of fun and has held my attention for a while now. I can't say that for most of the games I have been playing. Not to mention, Leet actually takes time to chat with you if you give him a tell concerning issues you may be having. He doesn't direct you to the forums, he tries to help you right then and there. Using /warp isn't everyone's cup of tea, I get that, but your personal opinion of using it should in no way be a reflection of the server itself. Play his server for a while, try using MQ2 as it is being used now and then come post your honest opinion. If you still have a negative opinion then so be it, but at least it would give Leet a fair shake and not some preemptive strike against his server. Keep up the good work, Leet.

Ralpho
Old 08-12-2014, 04:02 PM
bloodeus
Fire Beetle

Yeah buddy, it is only cheating if it is not allowed on the server, otherwise it is just another feature. Content and progression are tuned to include it so.... not sure what your deal is but ok... each their own or something something.... taking the time to log on and bash a server you didn't even play I mean.... maybe try yoga or something?
Old 08-12-2014, 04:16 PM
Leetsauce
Hill Giant

I don't think he was bashing, for the record. He's just stating his opinion, and we ALL should be okay with that.

He, and no offense intended to be directed at ANYONE, was doing me a solid. He was telling me something other than what I wanted to hear.

Before I go any further: I consider MQ2 to be an extension of your player. These are additional tools to help you have the most fun whilst playing Everquest. It is in no way required. It's just another feature.

That said, I do not think it would be a fair requirement for a server OP to have to have a disclaimer that "cheating is allowed" as the word "cheating" is relative, and would imply I allow things like item duplication, and things of that nature. Moving a couple extra units on the X and/or Y axis a little quicker than you would otherwise be able is the absolute least of my worries.

Last edited by Leetsauce; 08-12-2014 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: Edit: By "He" I mean Shin Noir
Old 08-12-2014, 05:43 PM
XDR
Fire Beetle

If it wasn't for /warp, people would just be straight up training shit to get where they need to go. I've seen this countless times on live and emu servers over the years, this is better for all in my opinion.

As for the server itself, it's pretty god damn amazing right now. Unless you dig for info, you'll probably spend weeks finding new and cool shit exploring everything.

Leetsauce has and continues to do great things. I don't think there was a night in the past 2 weeks where I was on and didn't see a "Anyone need help with anything?" from him. Dude is on top of this shit, adding content, fixing issues and helping people.

I wouldn't mind some variety to the max level grind though, maybe some zones from the SOF/TSS/TBS eras would be a nice addition?
Old 08-12-2014, 05:52 PM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

Sorry, I was trying to be constructive and give insight like Leetsauce said. I'm not at all trying to insult the server.

EQAwakened allows warping as well. I didn't find this out until I was level 50ish (A few hours in), and had a bad experience where while clearing to Naggy, some guy warped in and just killed it, not even talking to me, so when I arrived, it was dead. When I OOC'd about it, people said warp is allowed and that's likely why it went down like that. So I loaded up warp, and immediately found out that it killed the experience for me.

To each their own, I'm not saying anything negatively, I enjoy MQ and the things it offers to simplify gameplay. Some prefer classic 100%. I'm not a fan of warp, and it's normally not allowed (I can only think of two servers that allow it, leetsauce and eqawakened?).. On second thought, not saying to put the word "cheat", more "warp OK" or something since if it's not clearly noted.. Warping I kind of put in the category of exploiting door/keys/speed/permanent buffs/using skills across zone, which is normally thought of as cheating.. I'm not sure where the line is drawn on leetsauce, but since legit is normally assumed, people may be playing legit while the rest utilize the tricks and causes an unfair advantage until it's realized. (Maybe at least in the server greeter or rules) Always sucks to play on a server to find out everyone else isn't playing the same way.

I think on all servers it'd be nice (maybe I should make a wiki page) where there's a simple FAQ. Something like:
  • Is MQ Allowed?
  • Is /stick allowed? (mq2melee)
  • Is AFK killing/looting allowed?
  • Is /warp allowed?
  • Are speed hacks allowed?
  • Is /twist allowed?
  • Is EQBC allowed (sending messages between clients, I think EZ server discourages this one)
  • Is there a hub zone?
  • Is there a teleporter or #zone command?
  • Is there a gate item?
  • etc

That's all. Sorry Again.

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com