Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:41 PM
AdrianD
Discordant

Default Path file issue: ~.path failed to load

I was tinkering with the `logsys_categories` status setting figuring it would glean some information about my general pathing issues.

Code:
[09-06-2015 :: 12:41:41] [Status] Init Finished: ZoneID = 66, Time Offset = 0
[09-06-2015 :: 12:41:43] [Status] Path File Header: Version 2, PathNodes 1025
[09-06-2015 :: 12:41:43] [Error] Path Node 1021, Neighbour 4 (1025) out of range.
[09-06-2015 :: 12:41:43] [Error] Path Node 1022, Neighbour 2 (1025) out of range.
[09-06-2015 :: 12:41:43] [Error] Path Node 1023, Neighbour 2 (1025) out of range.
[09-06-2015 :: 12:41:43] [Error] Path File ./Maps/gukbottom.path failed to load.
[09-06-2015 :: 12:41:43] [Normal] ---- Zone server gukbottom, listening on port:7014 ----
[09-06-2015 :: 12:41:43] [Status] Zone Bootup: gukbottom (66: 0)
This past July I reinstalled all source, maps and quests. The maps folder has WTR, PATH and Linker files. The majority of the linker files have a small red <!>. The majority of the other files do not. I don't know what this means exactly, otherwise I would be more eloquent in the description. I know it's related to git/svn somehow and the fact it was changed.

Specifically: I have .path, .wtr and the linker address map for gukbottom. The linker address map has the red ! while the other two do not.

What is the cause of this?

What can I do?
Old 09-06-2015, 02:59 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Not loading the path files isn't anything to worry about, just means it doesn't exist. The Linker Files have nothing to do with the wtr, path, or map files in the Maps folder.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:09 PM
AdrianD
Discordant

I have a many .path files in the maps folder. For gukbottom, a .path file is located in this folder. When it says it failed to load I understand that to mean it doesn't exist but, in this case it seems to exist.

What am I not understanding?

EDIT: I wouldn't think much of it if the pathing in some zones wasn't pretty bad.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:03 PM
provocating
Demi-God

That particular path file has been corrupted for years. I just created a new one.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:39 PM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

You have a repo setup by chance? I've just recently started tackling the #path stuff myself.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:41 PM
provocating
Demi-God

I will get it to you Monday
Old 09-06-2015, 09:57 PM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

Thanks a bunch!
Old 09-06-2015, 09:58 PM
AdrianD
Discordant

I would like to assist in any way that I can to attain the accurate files so pathing is less of an issue.

Currently, I have npcs going through walls in dungeons and hopping in outdoor zones. Most zones are fine but some make it difficult to play in.

I have been putting this off for a long time in favor of things I could actually accomplish but, with others commenting it renews my ambition for a project like this.

Please point me in the right direction to learn about the tools required to do this.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:02 PM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

Really, the #path command should be all that's needed. It's just tedious and there's not really a good tutorial that I've found to reference as kind of a "best practices".

I was kind of hoping to find some obscure repo somewhere that had all the missing ones in it, but seems like that's not gonna happen at this point.

I'd be willing to contribute to a centralized effort on this. This would be a huge benefit to everybody.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:34 PM
AdrianD
Discordant

Ok, thank you. I've messed around with that a little, very little. I see it as hugely tedious but, with others in the same boat, it will make the tedium worth the combined effort.

Would every single potential problem spawn2 need this process? From my brief encounter, it seemed as such.

Is it common practice to only do this process within a reasonable radius or should the spawn2's be done zonewide?

EDIT: I have other basic questions about the process, I can learn the rest through trial and error

EDIT: I've been apprehensive to start a project like this for the same reason as you, N0ctrnl
Old 09-07-2015, 07:14 AM
Demi-God

Not sure if KLS can chime in if the pathing changes broke the old .path files (not saying that is the reason above, but for reference to the link below), I have some path files that were built on the older format, so not sure about backwards compatibility here.

www.eqpvp.com/paths

Here is the info about the #path command in the wiki:

http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Pathing_Files

The only ones you really need to know is
#path shownodes - to show a previous loaded path files points
#path add - add a new node (Auto connects to nearby line of sight nodes)
#path connect [id] - connect targetted node to another node
#path disconnect [id] - disconnect targetted node from another node (id)
#path dump [filename] - where filename is Maps/somefile.path. Dumps all output nodes to file (as-is) no line of sight connections made.
#path process [filename] - where filename is Maps/somefile.path. Connects line of sight nodes, saves the output nodes to the file.

As you build up the pathing in the zone you will be able to test mobs (just have them aggro you). The nodes are taken into account 'on the fly' when they are added in the zone via #path add.

When adding to existing pathing files you should use #path shownodes doing your changes followed by #path dump, don't use #path process unless setting up the first pathing file.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:04 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Yes it is tedious, and you will make plenty of mistakes. I have had to redo some path files 3x times now because I did not realize the importance of spacing, especially when you are going up and down a Z-axis.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:00 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Some day we will have a program that autogenerates paths and an editor to tweak them ...
Old 09-07-2015, 01:54 PM
AdrianD
Discordant

Thanks a bunch everyone.

Could poor pathing be the cause of npcs having spell casting interrupts out of combat?
Old 09-07-2015, 01:59 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
Thanks a bunch everyone.

Could poor pathing be the cause of npcs having spell casting interrupts out of combat?
No, I cannot see that happening. Maps possibly, but not path files.