Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:26 PM
billiameo
Sarnak

The above suggestions have all been done. As for the eqhost.ini... I believe my post said eqhost.txt I don't even know what a .ini is *-P

C:Program Files\Everquest\

Not

C:Program Files\Sony\Everquest\

??

I tried to take the sony out of it but I get an error ...

Not Valid make sure that the folder exists and that the path is correct.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:33 PM
billiameo
Sarnak

Default Target error

I've attempted to put

"C:\Program Files\Sony\Emulator\Eqgame.exe" patchme

In the target box but everytime I try to apply I get this message

Invalid make sure the path and file name are correct.

??
Old 03-31-2008, 10:41 PM
billiameo
Sarnak

Default Narrowed it down

It seems in that Target sentence

"C:\Program Files\Sony\Emulator\Eqgame.exe" patchme

The only problem it has is changing "Everquest" to "Emulator".
Old 03-31-2008, 10:58 PM
billiameo
Sarnak

Start in: "C:\Program Files\EverQuest\"

Target: "C:\Program Files\Everquest\eqgame.exe" patchme

I've tried these both, but I get errors when I take out the word "Sony". Is there something I'm missing? Or are these extensions incorrect?
Old 03-31-2008, 10:59 PM
trevius
Developer

Did you change your Everquest directory name to "Emulator"? If you didn't then there is no reason to try setting that name in the target. The target should be whatever directory you are wanting to run the eqgame.exe from. If you have a directory specifically setup for the emulator and you named it "Emulator", then you have to edit the eqhost.txt file THERE.

This process is pretty straight forward and simple. If you installed Everquest Titanium to the defaut directory, it should either be:

C:Program Files\Everquest\

OR

C:Program Files\Sony\Everquest\

That is what you would set in the shortcut for the "start in:" directory. The most important part of the short cut is that you set the target file as:

"C:\Program Files\Everquest\eqgame.exe" patchme

OR

"C:\Program Files\Sony\Everquest\eqgame.exe" patchme

Try this:

Click Start
Click Search
Click For Files or Folders
In the search field, type: eqhost.txt
Click Search Now

(These directions may be slightly different depending on which version of Windows you are running. Just find the file search and search it.)

Let it search and then post here with every directory name that it finds that file in. Then repeat the process for the eqgame.exe file and post those directories here. This will tell us exactly where you have this installed and if you have more than 1 installation of your EQ directory. Once we have that, it will be easier to tell you exactly what to do.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:09 PM
mattmeck

just go to your EQ directory, right click on eqgame then select send to desktop (create shortcut)

then right click on the shortcut on your desktop and add a patchme to the end of it.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:23 PM
billiameo
Sarnak

Mattmeck I tried your suggestion- and I still get the host error from the log in screen

I have copied the search result as instructed and here is what was found.

eqhost.txt C:Program Files\Sony\Everquest 1kb

So is that correct then?
Old 03-31-2008, 11:32 PM
mattmeck

Thats correct, only other question I can think to ask is.

You installed right off the titanium disks right? You didnt download, or use a diferent version?
Old 03-31-2008, 11:33 PM
billiameo
Sarnak

eqgame.exe is also located in the same location as eqhost.txt

C:Program Files\Sony\Everquest
Old 03-31-2008, 11:33 PM
billiameo
Sarnak

Everquest web-site offers FREE download of titanium. It's Legit... but is it bugged or something?
Old 03-31-2008, 11:40 PM
billiameo
Sarnak

I know we don't talk about nefarious downloads here or anything. The site I got my download from is a Sony site and it's 100% legit. If you would like I can provide you with the link. Sony is promoting the trilogy package for some reason. Perhaps the one downloaded from them is bugged.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:46 PM
trevius
Developer

LOL, post a link to the page where you found a free download of titanium. My guess is that you are downloading a new version of EQ that is NOT compatible with eqemu. You HAVE to have Everquest Titanium with no further expansions or patches. That will definitely cause a problem. Though, I would think you would be getting a different error that wouldn't happen until after you actually got logged in and tried to connect to a server.

The only other eqhost.txt suggestions I can make is:

1. Delete the eqhost.txt file you currently have.

2. Open notepad and paste the following in it:

[LoginServer]
Host=eqemulator.net:5998

3. Click "Edit" and "Select All" and make sure there are no extra spaces anywhere in the text. The cursor should be blinking at the end of the line after 5998.

4. Click "File" then "Save As"

5. Find your Everquest directory. In your case you need to go to "C:Program Files\Sony\Everquest".

6. Delete everything from the "File Name" field. The only thing that should have been in there was "*.txt". Make sure that you delete that and that field is completely empty.

7. In the "File Name" field, type "eqhost.txt".

8. The "Save as type" field should be showing "Text Documents (*.txt)". You need click the arrow on the right side of that field for the drop down. Then select "All Files" from the drop down menu.

9. Click "Save"

If you follow all of those steps exactly, you should no longer have to worry about your issue being related to the eqhost.txt file. If you are still having an issue, it is almost certainly related to the fact that you aren't using a fresh install of Everquest Titanium.

I highly doubt they have a free download for Titanium expansion set from the EQ website. Since that is an old expansion set and they normally only host the files for the current download that includes all current expansions. This is for players who wish to use the 7 day free trial or whatever it is they have these days. After those 7 days, people are expected to pay for the download and the monthly fees. If they hosted a free download of Titanium, it would be like asking their players to play the emulator for free lol.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:51 PM
billiameo
Sarnak

http://everquest.station.sony.com/trilogy/download.jsp

That's the link. And yeah I thought it was kind of wierd that the download is free from Sony. If this is a bad download I'll obtain a fresh copy of the trilogy and follow these instructions again. *-) Oh trying your .txt fixes now. Will take a minute or two. Hilarious step by step btw, makes me feel like a computer noob... which isn't too far from the truth.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:52 PM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiameo View Post
I know we don't talk about nefarious downloads here or anything. The site I got my download from is a Sony site and it's 100% legit. If you would like I can provide you with the link. Sony is promoting the trilogy package for some reason. Perhaps the one downloaded from them is bugged.
The everquest Trilogy is only Classic, Kunark and Velious if I recall correctly. That is NOT Titanium and will NOT work with the Emulator at all. You need to get the Everquest Titanium expansion set. No other will work.

That is most likely the reason why your connection is failing. The older version you are running most likely doesn't know how to deal with the eqhost.txt file or may even use a totally different file to reference for the host. I think it used to be called something else back then, but it has been like 8 years so I could be wrong lol.

***Just saw your most recent reply. Yes, you need to get Titanium. I am 99% sure that will resolve all of your issues. Get it and reply back if you still have problems.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:53 PM
billiameo
Sarnak

P.S. How do I open notepad? I know I can open the notepad from the eqdirectory by searching it for eqhost.txt ... But do you want me to open the notepad on my computer?