Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:03 PM
jpowers601
Fire Beetle

Default EQemu - Viruses?

If I were to download just titanium, from the disks, and run EQemu as it is, is there a possibility to obtain a virus, hack, trojan, or any other harmful item from the servers hosted, which could access my personal data files.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:08 PM
trevius
Developer

If you download Titanium from the net (which is against the rules to discuss here), then yes, there is a risk of getting malicious software. But, I assume you mean "install" instead of "download". If you are installing directly from the retail CDs, and aren't downloading anything else to play, then you are at no risk. Though, if a server has custom files to download, they could potentially have malicious content in them, but I haven't seen a single server that has done that yet, and something like that would be reported quickly. Basically, you should be perfectly safe!
Old 03-30-2009, 11:10 PM
jpowers601
Fire Beetle

Ok, are there any specifics on that (Aye I meant install). Like, how playing on a server, and not downloading their custom packs, can not possibly harm my PC. (Havinf a hard time convincing a few people that it is not possible.)
Old 03-30-2009, 11:14 PM
trevius
Developer

Normally, most servers only have you download a custom spell file, which is a .txt file and has no chance of being infected or dangerous to you. Some also have other files, but I don't think any of them require you to download any .exe or script files. If they require you to download a .exe file or a script, and tell you to run that file, then yes, you might be at risk. Otherwise, you should be perfectly safe.

If you have a certain server you are wanting to play on, I will personally review their custom files for you and tell you if you are safe or not. Though, again, I have been here a long time and have never seen a server that was asking it's users to install a Trojan or virus or any other type of malicious file as far as I know.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:26 PM
jpowers601
Fire Beetle

Alright, so logging into the server does not download anything, and connecting to the LS server won't do anything.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Yeormom
Discordant

No, if you install Titanium and only change your eqhost to point to eqemulator.net and play on a server, you will not get a virus. Under the new system where a client is required, it is possible to inject a virus into your system through this method by either security exploit or malcious developers.