Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:48 AM
microlo
Sarnak

Default Creating a new server.

I have played everquest since 1999 and through the years I have loved and hated it, however i must say the most fun I have ever had was on Kimura's old server and in blood and rank.

I write this because I have no understanding of how to code or create a server otherwise I would, but Kimura's old server was the best time by far and I was wondering if anyone had the ability to recreate it that wouldnt just keep dropping the server. I would be available to help with information needed on how it worked and would be greatly appreciative, and if you wanted could maybe teach me how to help you.

Please PM me if you have any interest in this.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:11 PM
atrayas
Hill Giant

If you are serious about it you should spend a few days reading the wiki thoroughly to get a basic understanding of setting up a server. Once you feel comfortable with that you should start to learn perl or lua whichever you prefer so that you can recreate the custom scripts needed to achieve your goal.

Don't let it intimidate you, as you don't need a powerful machine to host a server for eqemu. Bandwidth depends on amount of players but generally 10 down and 5 up for burst is enough for a smaller population.

Keep in mind most of the devs here are self taught and learned through trial and error, they didn't just become good overnight.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:36 PM
Nerdgasm
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlo View Post
I have played everquest since 1999 and through the years I have loved and hated it, however i must say the most fun I have ever had was on Kimura's old server and in blood and rank.

I write this because I have no understanding of how to code or create a server otherwise I would, but Kimura's old server was the best time by far and I was wondering if anyone had the ability to recreate it that wouldnt just keep dropping the server. I would be available to help with information needed on how it worked and would be greatly appreciative, and if you wanted could maybe teach me how to help you.

Please PM me if you have any interest in this.
If you get snagged on anything I can set the server up for you via teamviewer and give you some scripts to run with. =)