Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:43 AM
Vanhorn1
Fire Beetle

Default AMD Dual Core*

I login, and my chars legs dont move, pets have no animations, NPCs have no animations, corpses stand up, I warp forward at GM speed....

its an AMD dual core issue I think....

I've set affinities, that makes it so I cant 2 box.... I get to a 5 second delay even on desktop if I try to 2 box w/ affinities set.....

I've gotten GnS Affinity, and done it through task manager.....

Downloaded the AMD optimizer.....

Tried all the compatibility modes.....

Now my laptop is getting to where it seems worse off than it was when I started trying to fix this mess.....

I run a Turion64x2 with Vista.... (personally, I'm blaming Vista, I hate it)

Anyone that has cured this problem (with none of the above mentioned working for them) would be much appreciated if I can get this thing running correctly again (it ran fine for like 10 days, then just went off a fucking cliff).
Old 04-14-2008, 01:02 AM
trevius
Developer

That is definitely a dual core issue. At least the part with the GM speed char sliding. Here is the fix I have on my forums for it. Make sure you are only using Core 0.

Dual Core CPU Fix:
Dual (or Quad) Cores cause crashes, but has a simple fix.
1. Start EQEmu
2. Before logging into the login server, ATL+TAB out of the program and hit CTRL+ALT+DEL
3. Select the 'Processes' Tab
4. Find the eqgame.exe process and right click it
5. Select 'Set Affinity' and then chose CPU 0
6. Return to EQ and run like normal

Alternatively, if you are running an AMD processor, you can fix it by just installing the AMD Optimizer.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:04 AM
Vanhorn1
Fire Beetle

Heh, I have already done that.....

I put it in my post.....

I also got the AMD Optimizer, and the GnS Affinity program.....
Old 04-14-2008, 03:17 PM
erde
Sarnak

Use runfirst.exe to start eq
http://www.activeplus.com/us/freeware/runfirst/
Old 04-14-2008, 04:43 PM
trevius
Developer

Ya, you did mention that you had set affinity in your post, but you didn't specify which core you were setting it to use. From what I have heard, you have to use core 0, which is the only reason I mentioned it at all. If you were trying core 1, supposedly it will still cause issues. I am not sure how that works for boxing since I don't have a dual core to try it on. It may automatically start any other eqgame.exe's to run on the same core as the first one you set. If not, you may need to set them manually. I would try setting both to core 0 and if that doesn't work, try setting the first one to core 0 and the second one you load to core 1 and see what happens.

If this was working fine for 10 days without any issues, then something must have changed to start the problem. That is the part that bugs me. Where you able to 2 box fine during those 10 days?

Also, I doubt it is good to be running more than 1 program for setting the core use at the same time, so you might want to try uninstalling the AMD Optimizer and the other one you installed too and then mess with setting affinity again.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Vanhorn1
Fire Beetle

I thought runfirst and EQEMU were not really kosher....

I'll try removing that shit, and binding affinity....

Tommorrow I am going to sit on the phone w/ Toshiba Tech Support until I get this fixed....

Need my damn garage box
Old 04-15-2008, 03:43 AM
erde
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanhorn1 View Post
I thought runfirst and EQEMU were not really kosher....

I'll try removing that shit, and binding affinity....

Tommorrow I am going to sit on the phone w/ Toshiba Tech Support until I get this fixed....

Need my damn garage box
I dont start eqemu with runfirst! I use it to start the client.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Vanhorn1
Fire Beetle

After re-reading my post, I decided to restore system settings to 10+ days ago....

THis helped alot, I also deleted the optimizer before I did the restore. Reinstalled it after the restore, and it completely fucked up EQ.....

So, now I have about 30minutes to a hour before the legs stop moving, and at 4hrs it is still playable, but animations stop in 1 of the 2 windows....

Did Get n Set Affinity (post restore and post Optimizer uninstall) and it seemed to do the job.....

Fuck Vista.....

Will post in a day or 2 (once I get 5 or more hours to play w/ GnS Affinity being used) and say if that finally fixed it....

Thx to whoever it was that said EQ working previous to the most recent 10 days.... I think that made this alot easier as I am pretty sure I either shut off or disabled some graphic untility.

Btw, to guy that asked which core. First instance of EQ I slap onto Core 0, and 2nd instance I put on Core 1
Old 04-17-2008, 04:03 AM
trevius
Developer

Try running both instances on core 0 then and see what happens. From what I have heard, it doesn't work right on core 1 for some reason. I just suggested to try that as a troubleshooting step.

If I was you, I would stop using all of the programs for setting affinity and just change your shortcut to start EQ with the /SETAFFINITY 0 command. I am not 100% sure that is the command, but I have seen posts somewhere on these forums recently where people have used it. I think they give a good example if you can find that post.

I know I have heard that sometimes those programs will work and sometimes they just won't. It sounds like they aren't working for you, so you should try it without them if you can.

Found the post I was thinking of. Check the batch file that So_Leet made here:

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/sho...light=affinity

Last edited by trevius; 04-17-2008 at 12:07 PM..
Old 04-17-2008, 07:06 AM
erik_llewellyn
Sarnak

While I have not used Vista, I would presume when you right click on your shortcut and choose properties, there is still a compatability tab. use that to set the compatability mode to either windowsXP or windows98 (98 preferably if available). Also make sure your power usage mode is set to always on. Since you said you have a Turion x2, use http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...onitor_120.zip to set your power state. EQ seems to NOT wake a CPU up into it's higher power state which is what you force on by setting the power scheme to "always on". Make sure once you get done you turn it back to "Portable/laptop" or your battery will die way quicker that it would typically.

Also, unless you copied your EQ folder so you have 2 seperate folders and run the eqgame.exe out of each folder, you CANNOT set affinity to 0 on "one instance" then set the other to 1 when it's the same program from the same folder. What you will end up with is the program either going all crazy and potentially causing file corruption due to CPU cacheing to both cores yet not being synced with eachother or it will simply run on the last core you set it to. My money is on data corruption is what caused your major issues after messing with CPU affinities the first time.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:35 AM
gernblan
Discordant

It's not an issue Toshbia can fix. The EQ Titanium client was made when dual core processors didn't even exist. So it just doesn't understand processes being dished out across cores by the operating system. Internal timers in the client get screwed up by it, making the client unstable.

AMD optimizer DOES work under XP.

Runfirst does nothing more than tell a program to launch on only 1 particular core. it can only help the EQ client, not hurt it.

Tying the client to either core 0 or 1 doesn't matter. The KEY is that it only talks to one core and only uses the timers of that one core. So tying it to core 1 is fine.

If you're still having issues, then it's related to something else I cannot speculate simply because I cannot access your machine to take a look and figure out what else it could be.

It could be a video card/driver issue or a corrupt directx installation. Try a different version of your video driver. Google "directx redistributable" and grab the latest directx and reinstall it.

Also...

If you happen to be running Vista, well, what can I say other than shame on you. Vista = the Windows NT based version of Windows ME.

(But if you are and haven't yet upgraded back to XP, try running eqgame.exe in "compatability mode").

Lastly, if your Toshiba has an Intel graphics chip in it, that's another problem. They are notoriously fickle with EQ.
Jest 4 Server
Linux (Jest3 runs on Fedora, our Dev servers usually run on Ubuntu and/or Gentoo), OC-12 Connection = Hella Fast

Last edited by gernblan; 04-20-2008 at 11:37 AM..
Old 05-16-2008, 10:09 PM
TonyAtma
Fire Beetle

I run on a duel Core AMD so i've experienced this same problem... Go grab yourself WinlauncherXP from Major Geeks

Open the program go to the Programs Tab and click Add Program Configuration

Type in Everquest into the blank space

Hit Browse and go to your EQ directory and choose eq.exe

Now click the Advanced Tab at the top and type patchme into the blank space

Now Click the SMP tab and uncheck ALL processors but Processor 1

Click Save

Now in order to play eq just double click on the Everquest in the window under programs

There perfect working EQ titanium. I 6box all the time so 2boxing shouldn't be a problem
Old 06-17-2008, 01:51 PM
jimbox114
Hill Giant

Default Fixed it

I have XP and was having this problem. My server is not running on a duel core but my other PC is a Athlon X2.

Anyways I just used Windows 98 compatibility mode and it seems to have solved my problem.