Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Database/World Building

Development::Database/World Building World Building forum, dedicated to the EQEmu MySQL Database. Post partial/complete databases for spawns, items, etc.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Cer0
Fire Beetle

Default A few questions regarding custom server development

Good morning/ afternoon EQEmulator goers!
I apologize if a few of these requests are already noted somewhere else in the *Very* large forums here on the website, but i did make the attempt to find what I'm looking for with no real luck.
I have been working with Akkadius on his Blood of the Akkadian (BotA) server, and there have been a few things i want to do but don't really know how. He was a little stumped as well, but due to work load doesn't really have time to worry about it with so many other things to attend to. So if anyone could point me in the right direction for at least a few of these i would greatly appreciate it:

1. Custom Made Factions- This is pretty self explanatory really. My goal is to completely remove the factions already in EQ, and replace them with new ones fit for the content we are creating. A good example being one of the portions of story i was working on myself. Neriak was invaded by a number of clans of Goblins, and i wanted to combine all the Neriak related factions in to "Neriak Citizens", "Neriak Guards", "Mayor Magnus D’Kessel". I also wanted to remove all the factions from Najena, Lavastorm, etc... in those areas and replace them with a faction something to the effect of "Combine Goblin Tribes of Rangishki". With this, i would like to add the ability to gain and lose faction with them through combating the opposing faction or possible quests created through turn ins.

2. Experience Modifier Items- I know its near sacrilege to mention World of Warcraft, but I played it a number of years ago and have friends/ co-workers who play it currently. I admit, the system is good but the players ruin it. I did see something that was admittedly interesting. Items with a % experience gained modifier attached to them. Is there a way to create something like this through GeorgeS's tools? Or a way at all?

3. Good and Evil System- When you play a game like Mass Effect, Fable, or Knights of the Old Republic you may or may not wonder "what if i had been good/ evil for that particular part?". Is there a way to put a system in game to emulate this? Not as detailed as those big budget games obviously, but a simple system of triggers maybe through text or action to modify a Good and Evil scale, and maybe a Lawful and Chaotic scale. Depending on those values would trigger different dialogue we set in our NPCs text. Does anyone happen to know some information on this?

Those are the two major issues for me at the point, sadly i know i have/ had more during this last week, but due to work and such (without writing any of it down) it was forgotten. So i will edit this post, or add more if i come in to any other blocks in my creative path. I appreciate the help offered here, the EQ gurus have my highest respect here.

-Reed
Old 09-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Tabasco
Discordant

Number 1 should be pretty easy. In the PEQ PHP editor you just make a faction and set its base attitudes, then assign that faction to the appropriate NPC's.

Number 2 seems a bit more tricky. I've never added new item fields or spell effects, so I can't tell you how involved it would be or if it would even make any sense to the client, but that's probably what you'd have to do. Someone more experienced may know of a better way to do this.

Number 3 shouldn't be difficult at all. You could track this with a faction so that killing the good guys reduces your G/E faction and killing bad buys increases it. Then in your quests you just get the players value for that faction ID and adjust your dialogue accordingly. If certain responses should incur a faction hit, you can do that with the quest system as well. You could even set up your faction hits table so that relevant NPC's even become hostile. In fact, this really strikes me as what the faction system was designed for, it's just more granular than Good and Evil in game.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Cer0
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
Number 1 should be pretty easy. In the PEQ PHP editor you just make a faction and set its base attitudes, then assign that faction to the appropriate NPC's.

Number 2 seems a bit more tricky. I've never added new item fields or spell effects, so I can't tell you how involved it would be or if it would even make any sense to the client, but that's probably what you'd have to do. Someone more experienced may know of a better way to do this.

Number 3 shouldn't be difficult at all. You could track this with a faction so that killing the good guys reduces your G/E faction and killing bad buys increases it. Then in your quests you just get the players value for that faction ID and adjust your dialogue accordingly. If certain responses should incur a faction hit, you can do that with the quest system as well. You could even set up your faction hits table so that relevant NPC's even become hostile. In fact, this really strikes me as what the faction system was designed for, it's just more granular than Good and Evil in game.
Thanks for the information. Hah admittedly i didn't even think to add a Good/ Evil faction type. Thats makes alot more sense than what i was thinking of.

-Reed
Old 09-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Tabasco
Discordant

I was just messing around with some spells and found the effect that I couldn't find the other day.

337 - Percent XP Increase

You would make or recycle a spell with this effect and then set it as the worn or focus effect for your item. (Check out spells like Enhanced Learning or Experience Bonus Effect)
Sorry I totally missed this before. I was thinking something like that was in there but must have skimmed over it.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
I was just messing around with some spells and found the effect that I couldn't find the other day.

337 - Percent XP Increase

You would make or recycle a spell with this effect and then set it as the worn or focus effect for your item. (Check out spells like Enhanced Learning or Experience Bonus Effect)
Sorry I totally missed this before. I was thinking something like that was in there but must have skimmed over it.
Yep. you can easily set it as a worn or focus effect, and you can actually make something like that fair by activating it by time played in a zone or something to that matter. I will most likely put something like that in game once I get our massive expansion out, and it's not just what's posted on the front page for updates.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:07 AM
csb4623
Sarnak

George's tool has something that will tell you all of the particle effects.