Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:27 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

Default EQClassic

...is back up after recovering from a fatal C&D order by SOE.

It was really unfortunate that it grew to the point where SOE had to shut it down, though, I think it had to do with the negative publicity it was getting on SOE's forums.

The goal of the project is to re-create EverQuest as it was at the end of velious in 2001. Since this is an independant project away from EQEmulator, I am posting this here. I am the database developer and am proud to say we are using a mixture of previous ProjectEQ releases and Angelox's Classic DB as a base for the database development. I hope you guys don't mind, lol, but it would be hard to find packet logs from way back when, or recreating the zones off of memory. And hey, we're just making games for people to play, and to emulate old software before it's lost. That's the way I see it. Possibilities are high for open-sourcing the database as a ProjectEQClassic database, compatable with the 7.0 EQEmulator format, but that is yet to be determined. Any information regarding that will be posted here and on our forums.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Tabidzukare
Sarnak

Default Hi Secrets

Hey Secrets,

In regards to recreating the EXACT game as it was at that time..
I've been cataloging the game by era in my own time as a kind of 'history project' for myself. I enjoying recreating EQ in other settings not just EQEmu..

I've been using old web caches and data mining from web archives of allakhazam, everlore, etc etc.. and cross referencing data on quests, mobs and posts.. it obviously doesn't provide pathing information, however it provides very exact quest data when matched with the modern day versions of the sites.

For spell data there is an old book that was published before luclin detailing all of the spells and their exact costs.. scaling effects and such, I use that as a reference for that data. If you ever need any help lightening the load on researching which quests, mobs and loot dropped precisely in each era let me know. It's extremely fascinating to see how minimal the game was back when it was first released.. I don't think many people remember or understand how sparse the game was back in release

As a side note: I truly hope the project becomes open source at some point. From a programming perspective it would be fantastic to see what's going on (I'm digging through old 2.x releases now, but with my infantile knowledge of the required programming skills.. it's slow going to say the least) as well as be able to run our own servers based on the project.

Personally I've found many other 'complete' projects *cough* peq *cough* that claim to be 'accurate' extremely lacking in completeness. I have only the best wishes for your staff that you raise the bar, and I'm glad to see the slow and steady effort on the project.

Again, skill lacking, enthusiasm abound, if you need a historian let me know

Kindest Regards~~
Old 05-30-2009, 11:11 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabidzukare View Post
Personally I've found many other 'complete' projects *cough* peq *cough* that claim to be 'accurate' extremely lacking in completeness. I have only the best wishes for your staff that you raise the bar, and I'm glad to see the slow and steady effort on the project.
Alright, I'll feed the troll. We've never claimed to be complete, and work is done daily by many of us to make the database more accurate. If you find problems, then report them on the PEQ forums: http://www.projecteq.net/phpBB2 That's a hell of a lot more productive than bashing people's hard work.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Tabidzukare
Sarnak

Default True Enough

Hi Cavedude,

Indeed it is more productive. I apologize about such a blatant remark, personally though I just dislike misrepresentation, and I've found that going through the database there were significant blocks of missing content when your site alluded to otherwise complete content.

Again, I'm sorry for that, your database is fantastic in it's spread of content and gripes aside about it's supposed completeness it is appreciated. Afterall.. I do use the database myself!

Kindest Regards~~
Old 05-31-2009, 12:57 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedude View Post
Alright, I'll feed the troll. We've never claimed to be complete, and work is done daily by many of us to make the database more accurate. If you find problems, then report them on the PEQ forums: http://www.projecteq.net/phpBB2 That's a hell of a lot more productive than bashing people's hard work.
This.

I personally submit fixes when I can, and I find it's productive to contribute rather than not.

I still believe in free software which is why i've been thinking of open-sourcing the EQClassic database project. The only problem would be the grids system, as ours is completely different from EQEmu's.

I would never want to put down cavedude's work, because without his community's work, mine would be nothing. Please don't put his community's work in a negative light.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:37 AM
Tabidzukare
Sarnak

Default Absolutely

I completely agree, looking back over the comment now, I can see how rude it was, again to cavedude my apologies. I merely tried to highlight a desire for a more complete database and I certainly did not need to make this desire through a put down to PEQ.

Again my apologies.. I don't think that comment truly mimics my true feeling as I myself have submitted quests to PEQ and am in fact working on several more even now.

Kindest Regards~~