Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Tabidzukare
Sarnak

Default Old Source/Binaries

Greetings,

I've read the rules and it only mentions not asking for older sony related content. My query is in regards to old EQEmu items and I'm not sure if anyone knows whether or not their available. I have tried *everything* possible I can think of and I'm getting nowhere.

I'm looking for older EQEmu source code / binaries, this includes older minilogin releases. I have my own necessary EQ files ('New Dawn' release (up to luclin)) and others that run on versions (I've heard anyway.. ) 3.8 / 4.3. I am already aware that these older EQEmu sources are extremely bug ridden.. lack databases etc, it doesn't matter, I'm interested in the older sources and getting and old client to work simply for the education of the process as I'm studying to code for the current project.

I'm also not ambitious enough to consider a server or any kind of 'public' project, I'm talking about just pouring through the older code myself and building it in tandem with where it's gone in my own time simply to familiarize myself with HOW these sorts of games work from a ground level.

I've checked on sourceforge and a number of other means and I cannot seem to find the older packages anywhere though from other (unreliabe) locations I have *seen* some older downloads which I've avoided. I would like to get it from the legitimate source and I hope this doesn't rub anyone the wrong way by asking.

I look forward to any response, and in addition if anyone could direct me to some clear compatibilities (ex. a freshly installed unpatched 'new dawn' install works with emu version 3.8 .. etc etc).

Finally, I want to say that I greatly appreciate the work that everyone here in the community does as it provides so many facets of game programming and tool programming from all of the amazing free projects that are open in free here. Again I want to stress my apology in advance if this is a sensitive or barred subject for the forums, I did check to make sure it was not inappropriate to ask this question before posting.

With kindest regards,
and as always,
Great respect~~
Old 05-04-2009, 09:40 AM
KingMort
Banned

Gah , I would have had our 3.2 source / binaries still if it were not for a Fire which destroyed our server some 5+ years ago....

However I know that you can still get those old school binaries SOMEWHERE .. Just not sure where at anymore...

King
raidaddicts.org
Old 05-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Tabidzukare
Sarnak

Default I thought so..

Hi Mort,

Thanks for responding. I though the same thing too.. viewing old caches of the eqemu.net page I can see all of the old archived links to the packages but they're not maintained by sourceforge.. I figured they had to be there somewhere but the search options on sourcforge to me seem hardly intuitive as I can get for example release reports and odd downloads from places like the smithy's anvil (emulation site) from the EQEmu sourceforge repository, yet when I search for the blasted things myself I get no results from SF.

I know they are there, and it is an open source project and was even back then (though I know there was a period when the Login Server was held closed) so I know it's available. I feel horrible to ask, but I really have exhausted my own means of finding these older resources.

Anyone else have any insight??

Kindest Regards~~
Old 05-04-2009, 11:18 AM
KingMort
Banned

The best I can do is offer you the S2k Source which I purchased some years back... Contact me in IRC

King
Old 05-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Zlandicar
Sarnak

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25234 will work on your 3.8/4,3 files.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Sakrateri
Dragon

Here you go man, And have fun

Old Stuff

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 05-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Zlandicar
Sarnak

http://www.MegaShare.com/853602 public login for you, This works on versions 3.8 to 5.9 Good luck to you hope it all works out well.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Tabidzukare
Sarnak

Default Faction..and thanks!

To All,

Someone once told me 'There is no spoon', that was a good day.

This too is a good day. I can't say thank you enough.

Your faction standing with Tabidzukare could not possibly get any better!

With profound appreciation~~
Old 05-05-2009, 03:12 AM
Tabidzukare
Sarnak

Default Databases?

Hi Everyone,

I've gotten a classic server going now for study and work!! It's fantastic to see the Emulator in it's infancy and now having all the older sources I can follow the work from the ground up. I am however looking for some of the older databases that work in tandem with these older binaries, namely the Drawde's databases starting from the old worlddata05.zip and up if possible. If anyone has a repository for these let me know, Drawde's work from what I can gather greatly improved the flexibility and functionality of the emulator so having these will also be helpful to learn from.

It's not a big deal not having them, as I can easily just add data in myself to the stock databases to test out features or see what their status is, but having a larger pool of data already ready to source in and interact with will just save time and make things easier to see. I've tried all of the sources in the archives including links submitted by other peoples sequencing of theirs and drawde's work. Everything from that era DB wise seems to be dead. I browsed through everything in you guys posts for DB related materials but couldn't find anything.

Any more help would be great, but at this point isn't completely necessary for understanding the core functionality of the EQEmu.

Kindest Regards~~
Old 05-05-2009, 03:27 AM
trevius
Developer

I had assumed that you were wanting the old source so you could have a version to match an old database that you already had and wanted to use. Any particular reason why not to just use the current stuff? You will find that the newer versions are light years beyond that old stuff.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:56 AM
Tabidzukare
Sarnak

Default Hi Trevius,

Hi Trevius,

Strangely enough my very length reply to your post was not posted.. so I'll be brief this time around:

I had actually started out with old clients and was trying to attain older EQEmu source so I could study the Emulator in it's infancy. Which is exactly what I intend to do.

With all the old source I can now compare for example 4.4 to 4.3 code and see things like:
    • Problem solving methods used by the EQEmu team
    • Solution to problems after I study the problems
    • See how the Emulator developed
    • Understand the work involved in contributing to the Emulator
    • Understand the direction of the project
    • Understand more what is provided to me for free !

I've been a part of this community for years and years now, but I finally decided it's time to 'know where it all comes from' so that's what I've set out to do. I hope that by understanding where this project has been from the back-end up to now I can one day actually contribute to it or help those in need of knowledge.

I'm still working on quests/database things for the PEQ release, and I still maintain for study and development my own MiniLogin server that's 'modern'. Call me crazy... it is after all true..

Kindest Regards~~
Old 05-05-2009, 06:28 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabidzukare View Post
Hi Everyone,

I've gotten a classic server going now for study and work!! It's fantastic to see the Emulator in it's infancy and now having all the older sources I can follow the work from the ground up. I am however looking for some of the older databases that work in tandem with these older binaries, namely the Drawde's databases starting from the old worlddata05.zip and up if possible. If anyone has a repository for these let me know, Drawde's work from what I can gather greatly improved the flexibility and functionality of the emulator so having these will also be helpful to learn from.

It's not a big deal not having them, as I can easily just add data in myself to the stock databases to test out features or see what their status is, but having a larger pool of data already ready to source in and interact with will just save time and make things easier to see. I've tried all of the sources in the archives including links submitted by other peoples sequencing of theirs and drawde's work. Everything from that era DB wise seems to be dead. I browsed through everything in you guys posts for DB related materials but couldn't find anything.

Any more help would be great, but at this point isn't completely necessary for understanding the core functionality of the EQEmu.

Kindest Regards~~
I would suggest looking at the PEQ Kunark release. This is the closest you'll find to the old DB schema, and what I was using for quite some time before I basically did a clean slate for EQClassic. You will have to remove a few database fields, but for the most part, it is largely the same. Also, you have to do some tricksy work in Excel to get the grids from the 2grid system to the old old OLD grid system.

Best of luck.