Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:09 AM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeS View Post
So all you playing D3, what's your impressions so far?
Addictive like EQ?

I have just started - lvl 1 today

GeorgeS
It is addictive, but not exactly the same way as EQ. I played EQLive for years straight, but only played D2 for a couple of months at a time then took a year or so break and came back to it and would play it again for a while. I expect D3 to be pretty similar, where you play it for a while then maybe come back to it again a few months or years later and enjoy it all over again.

The game itself is pretty awesome. Even if I only played 1 time through normal mode I feel like it was well worth the money. Currently, I am playing inferno difficulty, and still enjoying it. My wizard is up to 49k DPS self-buffed now, but I still need to work on my build for inferno to survive a bit better while retaining the high DPS.

The D3 forums are practically useless as anyone who enjoys the game is playing it (which is the majority of players), while people with complaints come to the forum to post negative threads. Yes, there are some valid complaints, but most of it involves the end-game stuff and they are patching regularly to resolve as many of the issues as they can. I am sure it won't take long to fix most of the major things people complain about in the game. I think the game lacks a bit in build diversity, but I expect that they have some cool stuff planned that they are saving for the first expansion that will add lots of flexibility in class diversity. Even with the current state of D3, the diversity is decent. I think most people started complaining almost right away because they hadn't invested the time needed to create some of the more unique type of builds and gear setups.

Obviously, some classes are going to be easier to get going in the higher difficulties. Right now, I think the preferred end-game class is DH, with Wiz being a close second. Then, I think Monk is next due to their ability to avoid damage. The Witch Doctor is good for pets to deal with combat, but they normally lack in DPS from what I have seen. The Barbarian is probably one of the hardest classes to make a decent build for in Inferno, but does really well up until that point.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:45 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
It is addictive, but not exactly the same way as EQ. I played EQLive for years straight, but only played D2 for a couple of months at a time then took a year or so break and came back to it and would play it again for a while. I expect D3 to be pretty similar, where you play it for a while then maybe come back to it again a few months or years later and enjoy it all over again.

The game itself is pretty awesome. Even if I only played 1 time through normal mode I feel like it was well worth the money. Currently, I am playing inferno difficulty, and still enjoying it. My wizard is up to 49k DPS self-buffed now, but I still need to work on my build for inferno to survive a bit better while retaining the high DPS.

The D3 forums are practically useless as anyone who enjoys the game is playing it (which is the majority of players), while people with complaints come to the forum to post negative threads. Yes, there are some valid complaints, but most of it involves the end-game stuff and they are patching regularly to resolve as many of the issues as they can. I am sure it won't take long to fix most of the major things people complain about in the game. I think the game lacks a bit in build diversity, but I expect that they have some cool stuff planned that they are saving for the first expansion that will add lots of flexibility in class diversity. Even with the current state of D3, the diversity is decent. I think most people started complaining almost right away because they hadn't invested the time needed to create some of the more unique type of builds and gear setups.

Obviously, some classes are going to be easier to get going in the higher difficulties. Right now, I think the preferred end-game class is DH, with Wiz being a close second. Then, I think Monk is next due to their ability to avoid damage. The Witch Doctor is good for pets to deal with combat, but they normally lack in DPS from what I have seen. The Barbarian is probably one of the hardest classes to make a decent build for in Inferno, but does really well up until that point.
Well said. I just entered Inferno and I can already tell I'm going to need to do a LOT of farming so I can get my survivability up. With the Force Armor nerf (not saying I was actually WANTING to use it) you really have to build for survival and not just DPS. I'm not getting facerolled in Act 1 yet, but I imagine the pain will pick up in Act 2 when the mobs are a lot less predictable.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Phantons
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
The Barbarian is probably one of the hardest classes to make a decent build for in Inferno, but does really well up until that point.
From what I understand, Barbarian is probably the hardest to get started with in Inferno, but it seems like once you start to get gear, they start to pass up the other classes, difficulty wise.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:52 AM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

Gave the game a go this weekend,and leveled to 30. Halfway thru act 3, and pretty easy so far. Died twice, but I did visit the auction a bit. Definitely plan to finish. Character name is "georges" - look me up.

GeorgeS

http://www.georgestools.chrsschb.com//
Old 06-25-2012, 06:34 AM
Speedz
Hill Giant

I been playin it for a bit, just now noticed (due to lack of checking in here) that ya all play.

I have a 60 monk in Inferno and get insta owned in the end of act 1, forget anything act 2.

Also a 52 DH which gets owned fairly easy only up to hell act 1 or 2. I decided not to constantly buy gear for this toon till 60, but downside is 1 hit wonder with ok dps.

I got a few other lowbie garbage toons I don't play much yet.
But I am in the trying to farm boat to survive Inferno and it loses it fun fast in that regard. But I still pop on about everyday.

Look me up if ya want. Name (battletag) there is Herrah#1510. Mention our forums so I know its not some J random spammer lookin to sell gold or PLs.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Akkadius
Administrator

I uninstalled. Gets too stupid to play in Inferno and I don't need the distraction anymore.

Last edited by Akkadius; 06-25-2012 at 09:23 AM..
Old 06-25-2012, 12:24 PM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

Managed level 40, and game is still fun, but it's getting to the point where I'm farming more than "playing". Beat Diablo on normal (that was an epic 30 min battle)
George

http://www.georgestools.chrsschb.com//
Old 06-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Paladinsteve
Sarnak

I am level 50, Into Hell. Game is still enjoyable to me. Granted Champion packs can be a pain in the ass sometimes more so then any boss.

Playing a Monk.

Varrshar#1530
Old 06-25-2012, 03:31 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

Hell is where it started getting less fun for me with my witch doctor. I'm not a glass cannon at all, but still die often to packs with stupid affixes. My DH is working through nightmare and still having fun though.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Speedz
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkadius View Post
I uninstalled. Gets too stupid to play in Inferno and I don't need the distraction anymore.
I have been struggling with the boredom and frustration myself since getting there. The increased repair costs make it easier to say hell with it...just what were they thinking?
Old 06-25-2012, 11:16 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedz View Post
I have been struggling with the boredom and frustration myself since getting there. The increased repair costs make it easier to say hell with it...just what were they thinking?
Heh the only reason I even picked it up is because Trevius was like 'Oh look I have a guess pass! Do you want it?'. What else was I supposed to say, my vacation started the next day and it easily ate up my vacation time and then I played it maybe a day or two a week afterwards.

I must say it has a lot of potential despite a lot of things they screwed up about the design. They keep making it more irritating/annoying to play rather than difficult. I don't need to play something that is the equivalent of stabbing myself in the foot.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:22 PM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkadius View Post
They keep making it more irritating/annoying to play rather than difficult. I don't need to play something that is the equivalent of stabbing myself in the foot.
Agreed. That's pretty much all Inferno is. Completely geared my wiz for high vitality, armor, and resistances--still get facerolled.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:02 AM
Speedz
Hill Giant

Well, said, I doubt I could have put it any better. But I am bored otherwise so I still torture myself and log in.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:15 AM
trevius
Developer

Yeah, there are definitely some valid complaints about D3, but overall the game is a big success in my mind. I shell out $60 for console games that I spend much less time playing before I shelf them lol. Also, compared to any other game in its genre, D3 wins by far. I would compare it to games like Torchlight or Dungeon Runners, which both (very heavily) used ideas from the Diablo series. Neither of those examples even compare to D3, even though I thought they were both enjoyable games.

As almost everyone can agree, Diablo 3 has great potential. The good thing is that it can reach that potential with minimal work from a development standpoint. They just need to find the right balance/tweaks for a few systems that need some work to make the game just right.

I switched mains from Wizard to Monk. The Wizard is fun, but just dies way too much and can't handle inferno well without zerging which is impossible with the new repair cost increase. I love the monk so far though. I built him to use the "One for All" skill which sets all of your resists to equal whatever your highest resist is. So, I bought a bunch of items with like 50-60 resist all and 40-50 resist cold and now he has 1000+ resist all which means he only takes about 20% damage from equal level mobs. He only has about 20k health right now, but can actually survive really well in inferno with his heals that land for 10kish. I am going to try to get his vitality, dexterity and DPS up, but it is costly lol. He has about 1500 Life on Hit which is pretty awesome considering the high resists.

Right now, my monk is stuck at Ghom in the Larder / Act3 Inferno. Many people have been complaining about the changes to that fight. It seems almost impossible to me the way it is now, and I imagine it will be hotfixed soon.

I don't imagine I will be playing D3 for too much longer, but I am sure I will go back to it again before too long. Now, I can't wait to see what the first expansion brings, because I am sure they intentionally held off on some really cool features to save for the first expansion. I have a feeling that the first expansion will make the game feel more complete, since it will bring the whole of their ideas for Diablo together instead of breaking them up into a release and first expansion. What I mean by that is that I am sure they had much more planned for Diablo and had to decide which to hold for the expansion and which to put into the release.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:04 AM
Speedz
Hill Giant

I do agree it has potential, but any game that is first out needs tweaks usually. I don't fully give up on it yet. I wonder if they will time the expansion for around the release of GW2? That would make it rough on my pocketbook.

My focus lately has been to build a decent gold find gear setup. One that can survive and deal damage on my monk. I could probably be more effective once I am satisfied with my GF gear and focus on cheap high dex resist gear with sockets. I usually pick a cheap single resist type overall and stack that then use "one for all". Yea right cheap huh? lol

Send me a friend request if ya want T. My battle tag is up a few posts.