Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:07 PM
zerjz3
Banned

Default Need collaboration on new server

Hey everyone,

Been a follower of eqemu since way, way back in the day Played on many emu servers and also have played live progression servers and over the past year or so I've been coming up with ideas for a server of my own.

I have a concept for a roleplaying server (roleplaying encouraged, but not required) called The Emerald Isles. This would be a fully custom server with all items replaced with new ones that we create, zones will be named differently and different level ranges and mobs than on eqlive, etc.

I have already got a great deal of quests, items, NPCs, and zone concepts sketched out and ready to be implemented onto a server.

Problem is, I do not have the resources to host a server myself. I can do things like edit databases etc, no problem, but I don't have hosting capabilities.

What would be ideal is for me to take a server of someone else's that is already running all quests, spawns, and items from eqlive and then edit the database from there, slowly customizing everything over time. I have lots of time to devote to this but once again, I can't host the server myself.

I would also need some customer service people because I plan to be doing all of the quest writing / item editing myself and will need the help with in-game community support.

If anyone is interested please let me know, and if there's anything I need to clarify or if anyone wants to know more details about my ideas, feel free to ask me
Old 01-23-2012, 09:15 PM
zerjz3
Banned

Here are some further concepts I have for the server:

The game will have a strong focus on questing and community. Basically I want to capture the feeling from EverQuest live when it first launched, but in a new setting. There will be quests for items, money, and experience starting from level 1 and going all the way to the max level. This will not be in the same manner as WoW or anything like that, but optional quests that a player can do if they wish to obtain the quest rewards or learn more about the game's new lore.

Items will never be ridiculous or overpowered, and there won't be silly things like buff NPCs and port NPCs - I believe that the game can be balanced to be played with a much smaller playerbase in ways that are much better than has been implemented by a lot of servers I've seen on eqemu. You do not have to be constantly reminded that you're playing a player-made emulator server - a level of immersion can be possible even on an emulated server.

Experience will be boosted slightly, as one of the ways to balance the server for a small playerbase. Also the addition of at least ten times the amount of quests the original EverQuest had will give players access to items appropriate for their level, throughout the game.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Phantons
Sarnak

This kind of a server sounds very interesting in my opinion. I would love to try it out. I can't host servers, and that's more than half the reason I don't run my own server with my brother, but I would love to try this out. The slight exp gain would be nice, as long as it stays slight. (Like 3x tops or something.) Not having any buff/port NPCs would be nice as well, though I personally like hub zones that I can AFK in and not have to worry about my buff timers ticking down.

Having a server with lore would be awesome. I would love to play through a server with an amazing story line, even if the whole story line was optional. Getting good rewards from quests, but not the best items, is always nice.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:20 PM
Vexyl
Hill Giant

Are you asking for someone to host this professionally, or on their own computer and internet connection?
If it's the latter, are they required to host it 24/7?

Would you accept a host that may be unstable (might restart every so often)
What kind of access would you need to the server?

Any more information would be helpful.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:45 AM
zerjz3
Banned

Default Server update

Just an update on this : I have been working on editing the database and customizing everything for the past few days. It's coming along nicely.

I'll be looking for some people to help test content if anyone's interested.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:39 PM
zerjz3
Banned

Just an FYI this project is well on its way and the server has been renamed to Sanctuary in the Sky. It is following the original vision precisely with the custom zones, npcs, items, quests. Right now I've got level 1-20 content with lots of items and choices for players. I am still looking for some Guides as well.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:00 AM
Noport
Opcode Ninja

might look into www.netsol.com hosting your server for you. If your going to host you own server might look into www.simpledns.com i bought 25 zones 5 zones in more then enough.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:13 PM
zerjz3
Banned

I've already got someone to host the server when the times comes to go live with it, but thanks.