Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::News

General::News EQemu news posts.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:59 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Default Net Neutrality

As some of you may know, a lot of websites have been touting awareness for Net Neutrality. This is a huge topic that affects us all and threatens much of the freedoms that we enjoy on the internet.

If you want to take action regarding this or simply educate yourself on what Net Neutrality is and what politics are trying to do to threaten Internet freedoms, you can read up on it here:

https://netneutrality.internetassociation.org/action/

Feel free to discuss
Old 07-13-2017, 08:29 PM
ghanja
Discordant

Another site. I am, have been a supporter/donator to EFF, since, well longer than I'd like to admit. Dial-up days, BBS SysOp'ing days.

https://www.eff.org/issues/net-neutrality

There is of course a plethora of information available. The above sites aren't even the tip; however, be vigilant in what petitions, etc. you support that you may encounter. I've seen a few now that word their petition/support page in such a manner as to mislead it's reader/supporter.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:06 PM
blackdragonsdg
Dragon

The core concept of net neutrality was fine but the politicians being who they are tried to piggy back garbage into it which turned a lot of people away from the idea. With so much misinformation going around these days it is often difficult to know what is true and what is not.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:32 PM
Scorpious2k
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragonsdg View Post
The core concept of net neutrality was fine but the politicians being who they are tried to piggy back garbage into it which turned a lot of people away from the idea.
Such as? I must have missed these things that turned people away...
Old 07-14-2017, 08:01 PM
demonstar55
Developer

I'm not sure what they're talking about either. My guess their team is anti-Network Neutrality and have to just BS to keep their world view in line. (Pro-rated, you can disagree with someone and still support them overall)
Old 07-15-2017, 12:06 PM
Scorpious2k
Developer

From what I have read, it's a simple case of freedom of speech vs corporate greed. ISP's want to extort money from web sites and if they don't get it, they slow access to the sites. Of course that doesn't mean that in the future they can't just make sure connection fails completely.

It's nothing new.

*scene: 1940's black & white movie. Gangster type walks into a small mom and pop type business with a couple of thugs. The owner walks over to him*

Gangster: "Nice place ya git here. Be a real shame if something happened to it..."
Old 07-15-2017, 12:33 PM
demonstar55
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpious2k View Post
corporate greed. ISP's want to extort money from web sites and if they don't get it, they slow access to the sites.

Which is framed as corporate freedom :P I'd rather not be f'd in the ass by billionaires so they can get richer.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:47 PM
The_Beast
Hill Giant

My ISP just recently sent out notices for Aug 1st. Any customers NOT paying for the "faster speed" contract plan,
their monthly rates are going up 5 bucks/mth .... again. It's a convenient setup. If I was to downgrade my data plan,
to something with half the speed, my monthly cost only goes down 8 bucks.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:51 PM
blackdragonsdg
Dragon

Quote:
Such as? I must have missed these things that turned people away...
Well since you asked the two things that came up the most often were that some companies such as Google would still have been able to make a deal with an ISP for network priority while others would have been barred from doing so. And control over the internet would have been given to the UN in an effort to kill off free speech.
By all means take what I just said with a grain of salt because it could have easily been misinformation.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:59 PM
Scorpious2k
Developer

It is misinformation. Net neutrality means everyone and everything have the exact same priority. And the UN? Seriously? When did a weak, virtually powerless organization become the boogie man? You understand the UN is run by a committee where every member has the power to veto everything brought before it. And the US is one of them.

Anyway, how does giving everyone the exact SAME level of "voice" take away free speech? Isn't that the VERY DEFINITION of it?
Old 07-15-2017, 05:06 PM
demonstar55
Developer

Quote:
Anyway, how does giving everyone the exact SAME level of "voice" take away free speech? Isn't that the VERY DEFINITION of it?
They're talking about the freedom of speech of the corporations to screw over consumers. Very understanding why we should give billionaires more money!
Old 07-16-2017, 09:23 AM
blackdragonsdg
Dragon

Quote:
It is misinformation. Net neutrality means everyone and everything have the exact same priority. And the UN? Seriously? When did a weak, virtually powerless organization become the boogie man? You understand the UN is run by a committee where every member has the power to veto everything brought before it. And the US is one of them.

Only five countries have veto power at the United Nations but what about the other 187 countries. So how exactly is that an equal voice? The power to veto is great if it is used but that is not always the case as recent history has proven. Simply abstaining from a vote can cause just as much harm as voting for or against something. The power of enforcement is irrelevant in cases where the intent is to cause political harm or set a precedent of some kind.

This definitely went off topic a bit but in the end I do hope that you are right about it being misinformation. More protections for consumers from greedy billionaires are always welcomed as long as there is no sleight of hand going on.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:15 PM
kokey98
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonstar55 View Post
Which is framed as corporate freedom :P I'd rather not be f'd in the ass by billionaires so they can get richer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonstar55 View Post
well enjoy the next 20-30 years with a conservative supreme court... you can thank the similar decisions as "Citizens United" for that. corporations are people and deserve all the protections form the constitution (specifically freedom in speech for citizens' united, but that's the proverbial "foot in the door") *not my belief nor is it logical, but that is inconsequential to reality.

UN/WTO - these things are basically corporate puppets, too. it may not be the old family lines of nobility from various coutnries, but it's likely correlated and mixed with some new money => the new aristocracy are the billionaires and the world bends to them. you have to work 60-80hours to live check to check and they don't want you to have healthcare or anything beyond the basics -- not even fair access to the internet because that can be used to turn a profit!

you can follow the money back to 200-1000 families in the world that pull all strings... if you think a government runs your country, you are only part right... these people make things happen if/when motivated. they may only influence 1% (read:small amount) of what happens but it's a major 1% that is likely costly to that country's public and a great benefit for the few at the top. typically when something doesn't make sense, this is likely going on (un the USA supposedly 80+% are for background checks on guns (just checks! mind you)... yet that is a very unlikey piece of legislation to ever be enacted. money > constituents, always.)

heh, and like someone else said, if it does see the light of day it will have so many riders or a proverbial death pill that it's a net negative effect on society, lol. even when we win some rights through the S.C. they find ways to undermine it with laws taht will take 10-15 years to overturn -- assuming a rational S.C. (think women's rights --specific exmaples: in indiana you have to pay for burial of an unborn fetus by LAW - - WTF mike pence? Arkansas just passed different type of similar nonsense to sh&t on womens' rights too, other states, in the south only it seems plus ohio, put absurd requirements on women's clinics and essentially force them out of business or a 200+ mile trip to get there for most residence) these people care not for law or decency... they care about their ideology and it's directly related to net neutrality -- similar to the "Prosperity Theology" concepts... the people that are successful deserve it because they are better people. can rationalize doing all sorts of terrible things to a "second-class" person. if you could afford the 'better' internet without the throttling, you would have the money to buy it! therefore, you don't deserve it.

So, if there's a way to make a ton of money, it's very likely a losing fight. if they so adamantly do not want poor people to have access to decent healthcare without bankruptcy, what makes you think they give 2 cents about your internet?

---- if i wasn't remabling, this definitely is:

if more than ~5% of the voting public wasn't too inept to vote properly, it woudlnt' be so bad... we outnumber them... simply need better education, knowledge and a longer attention span from the voting public... right now the voting public are veritable monkeys flinging poop at each other. if things are to start trending in the "right" way, it will take multiple generations before any return is realized. we've gone down the rabitt-hole for too long, now.

i won't have kids, this being ~50% of the reason, lol... it's a terrible place filled with terrible people. i remember k-12 -> people are really dumb with a very short attention span. they may be slightly more mature with age but they retain the same over-confident ignorance. even in college they aren't much smarter and that's the top 1/4th or so. k-12 education gets dumbed down and are forced to learn at a near retarded pace. then, they let too many into college, lol... ~1/2 graduate (think 59%)? clearly it's more about money than education with those rates of failure... expecting a ~90-100% graduation rate in college should not be a stretch.. they are supposed to be smart people! but, if you let in the extra and sucker them into spending money on something thay are incapable of doing, presidents of even a smaller university can command ~$1Million plus benefits.. those 'undeserving extras' also dumb down the classroooms too through weak competition (takes time, but definitely happens -> lowers the bar for all).

did you know kids take 5-6 years to do a 4 year undergrad program, now? WTF? i can't imagine wtf they are doing in 1-2 extra years.. you have to be the most useless ignorant lump, if it takes you 6 years to graduate -- going to school full-time, that is. honestly, 31 credits over 2 semesters is SO MUCH free time it's disgusting to think about how much time you'd have taking 5-6 years... and 31cr/yr will graduate you on-time in 4 years. can't imagine only taking 12credits/semester over ~6 years.

colleges actualyl are starting to push kids to take ~5years... because it makes them more money!!! LoL... common trend here... follow the money and you can see the future...
Old 07-21-2017, 01:25 PM
Maze_EQ
Dragon

^ This guy def drank the koolaid.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:26 AM
The_Beast
Hill Giant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality

In all reality, this whole concept of "governing internet usage" has always been at the helm of ISP's and content hosters.
Every data connection that takes place on the internet, someone at the end of the chain is making money off it.
Business starts with the greed of someone's wallet wanting to make profits from a product/service and they usually don't
want to have their earning potential limited by politics. Why put up an "Open for business" sign if you're not going to make
any money at it ? You want a faster car with more power under the hood ? Get out your wallet.
Competition is (and should be) the only thing that regulates the services and prices, much in the same way we decide
which restaurant we want to eat at. It's not like we have rights to decide what kind of service or food we get at
any individual eating establishment.
Myself, I don't think of the internet (or it's access) as "a right" anymore than being able to walk into a store that posts
a sign "We have the right to refuse service to anyone".
Of course, we do need consumer protection, which definately helps in cases like Comcast and it's "false packets" and
having speeds throttled which present a lesser product or service than we were led to believe we paid for.
As far the individual country governments sticking their "regulatory nose" into the business world, the legal differences
will never be in sync with each other. The internet is a world wide shopping center and customers are damn picky, lol