Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 07:15 PM
Sakrateri
Dragon

Question here DevNoob....If you were asked to rejoin the team.....would you?? I never had a prob with you or Image and personally I think a couple of great minds and been unfairly dropped and replaced with some people with larger heads albeit smaller minds . It would seem to me if you still did not have an interest to do the right thing for the community here then you would just be sitting back quiet listening to all of this. It seems you would like to help out but pride and a couple of people are standing in your way......

and that concludes our psychology session for today........

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 08-27-2007, 09:13 PM
mattmeck

See Dev and Image did a LOT of work for eqemu, they were the core for a long time. However, the attitudes and elitist attitudes aren't missed at all. There was so much drama surrounding the whole Dev team during that time, that EQemu was almost spli and ripped apart.

I would love to see some of the old dev's to come back and revive this dying project, but if the attitudes and drama come back too, most of the people left here who still do contribute would leave then we would be right back where we are now.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:08 AM
devn00b
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmeck View Post
See Dev and Image did a LOT of work for eqemu, they were the core for a long time. However, the attitudes and elitist attitudes aren't missed at all. There was so much drama surrounding the whole Dev team during that time, that EQemu was almost spli and ripped apart.

I would love to see some of the old dev's to come back and revive this dying project, but if the attitudes and drama come back too, most of the people left here who still do contribute would leave then we would be right back where we are now.
Hahaha mattmeck your one funny guy.

I R uber...And you suck! hows that for elitist? woot.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" Club
Most Senior EQEMu Member.

Current Work: EverQuest 2 Emulator. Zeklabs Server
Old 08-28-2007, 04:55 AM
sdabbs65
Dragon

Default old days...

www.cheaterz.info
Old 08-28-2007, 05:08 AM
Richardo
Banned

Lol... Hey guys, I got married..!

Old 08-28-2007, 05:12 AM
oldlurker
Fire Beetle

I wonder how this exploit works. If it is just an attack against the server ports it would help if the login Server and the eqemu server did some sort of handshake, so any IP who did not connect to the loginserver first might still be able to open these ports but the emu server will not communicate and close it instantly.
Also it would be nice to know if the attacker is stupid enough to operate from his own account. Wouldnt it be funny if this jerk is also browsing these forums with the same IP, maybe even logged in. That is what logfiles are for.

Some facts about devnoob:

Way back devnoob did his utmost to kill Lucid Vision. He messed with the login server and banned or hijacked accounts until they decided to run their own login server.Then tried to hack their forums and finally forced an wipe with some hidden backdoor in the eqemu code.

It is not a matter of brilliance. I take an merely good lead programmer over an brilliant egomaniac anytime.

Anyway. I would suggest not to feed the Troll any further. if no one responds to his BS he will get bored.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:14 AM
aneriel
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gernblan View Post
I need to say something:

You're willing to spend gobs of time fighting all sorts of problems running the emu server on an OS that the entire world knows has more holes than swiss cheese, yet you won't just sit down and put up a linux box and have a secure server once and for all?

I submit that you're spending (read: wasting) a lot more time struggling with windows security (especially since it doesn't exist--if Microsoft can't even lock down their own OS, what makes you think you can?) whereas you could just invest the time to learn how to do it right on Linux and be done with it.

Because then i'm just opening up more problems for myself. I'm not familiar with Linux, so if something doesn't work I won't know if it's because i didn't set something up right, or because it's part of eqemu, etc etc. I would be *wasting* more time as it is. Plus I really have no time to learn something new, I have too many "Gotta Learn this system" at work going on as it is.

Plus if this is an issue with ports eqemu uses, then it's going to affect linux as well. I've got my system locked down good, no one is going to be able to get into that doesn't use the 700* ports.

My first problem was that I didn't do this before putting the server online. I was too excited about having a server running that I had no anti-virus installed, I had ports open on my firewall that shouldn't have been (VNC for one since I don't have a monitor hooked up ..btw that is disabled so don't try), etc etc. My main worries were that I overlooked something, but now I know it's just part of eqemu and for some classic eq i can live with that.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:29 AM
Demi-God

I need to butt in here because oldlurker seems to love creating rumors left and right, maybe if his registration date wasn't July of 2007 I would be more impressed. I am not devn00b first off, but he is a good friend of mine, we live in different states. Secondly devn00b although had the ability to damage Lucid Visions servers did not do so, it was done on part by various eqemu members (To take down the server), although there were a few eqemu developers that created cheats (such as exploiting the point system for items).

I appreciate mattmeck's support as we did put a lot of effort into eqemu and I think as you can all understand when you put a lot of effort into something you have a lot of emotional feelings towards it. However what has happened is in the past, the big argument that occured I think is resolved for the most part atleast in my eyes.

But seriously if you didn't understand the situation stop just making up stuff, thats just ridiculous.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:30 AM
oldlurker
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneriel View Post
Plus if this is an issue with ports eqemu uses, then it's going to affect linux as well. I've got my system locked down good, no one is going to be able to get into that doesn't use the 700* ports.
Tell me how hard it is to run an Windows EQEmu server in a bare-bones jail enviroment. Say all files exept the mysql data files and logfiles are read only. And I mean "read only" as in 'not even root can change em'

Trust me, you really want to invest the time and get a linux server running. Yes, the learning curve is a bit steep but once you get the hang of it you wont look back.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:05 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Now I *know* you hate me! (didn't invite me to your wedding!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardo View Post
Lol... Hey guys, I got married..!
Old 08-28-2007, 06:06 AM
gernblan
Discordant

There is absolutely NO reason in my mind that ANY good code from ANY source should not have the same chance to get committed as any other.

Personalities mean nothing. Infighting means nothing. This is about the code.

The facts are this, whoever is policing the tree and is putting personalities over the project is flat out WRONG.

If this sort of practice was the norm, we wouldn't even HAVE a linux kernel. Don't believe me? Go read the LKML.

Whoever is cockblocking code from sources they don't "like personally", grow up. Get over it.

Real people are out here running servers that cost real money. We have a right to the best emulator possible. If fixes, code, features and bugfixes are not hitting the tree due to politics, then I call bullshit.

The players also deserve better.

You may not like everyone that has ever worked on this project (or wants to now), but if they write good stable code that improves this project in ANY way, you have a DUTY to accept it, not sit on it. If you do, you're doing more damage to the project than they EVER could.

Think about it.

Image and devnoob (and whoever else) may all BE jerks for all I know. But I say, who cares--it does NOT MATTER.

If they write good code, ACCEPT IT. Otherwise, the maintainers are the ones doing the real damage... and a fork becomes necessary.
Jest 4 Server
Linux (Jest3 runs on Fedora, our Dev servers usually run on Ubuntu and/or Gentoo), OC-12 Connection = Hella Fast

Last edited by gernblan; 08-28-2007 at 02:09 PM..
Old 08-28-2007, 09:00 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

I don't think anyone is blocking anything, just simply, lack of interest is all.
Even if you were to fork, I would really think hard about who to give control to all this, because some people in this scene are acting very childish, to a point where they are willing to sabotage what we already have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gernblan View Post
There is absolutely NO reason in my mind that ANY good code from ANY source should not have the same chance to get committed as any other.

Personalities mean nothing. Infighting means nothing. This is about the code.

The facts are this, whoever is policing the tree and is putting personalities over the project is flat out WRONG.

If this sort of practice was the norm, we wouldn't even HAVE a linux kernel. Don't believe me? Go read the LKML.

Whoever is cockblocking code from sources they don't "like personally", grow up. Get over it.

Real people are out here running servers that cost real money. We have a right to the best emulator possible. If fixes, code, features and bugfixes are not hitting the tree due to politics, then I call bullshit.

The players also deserve better.

You may not like everyone that has ever worked on this project (or wants to now), but if they write good stable code that improves this project in ANY way, you have a DUTY to accept it, not sit on it. If you do, you're doing more damage to the project than they EVER could.

Think about it.

Image and devnoob (and whoever else) may all BE jerks for all I know. But I say, who cares--it does NOT MATTER.

If they write good code, ACCEPT IT. Otherwise, the maintainers are the ones doing the real damage... and a fork becomes necessary.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:35 AM
mattmeck

Dev, Image, I know you remember the EQEmu where if someone annoyed certain developers they have pics of the tub woman crapping in her own mouth posted, or added as there avatar. The constant bans from IRC, the instant bans from the forums for asking almost any question.

The work you two did in your time made EQEmu what it is, and guild wars is sorely missed, however all the stuff that went on (whether you did it or allowed it to happen) made EQEmu horrible.

There has to be some way that developers can function and code without all that crap being done. We went from a lot of work being done but a poor community, to a great community and no work being done!!

WTB the mythical middle ground!!
Old 08-28-2007, 10:11 AM
Demi-God

I think a big problem right now is the interaction between the developers and users has been severed for the most part in EQEMu. All people who have been giving code additions have not been getting the attention they deserve (KLS for example, think thats the name). Either way its up to the current developers to take responsibility for the project. Most of the developers that have moved on are on new projects or working and don't have the time.

And yeah the early EQEMu years were pretty destructive, but the passion for developing EQEMu was much stronger at that period of time as well. So I think it somewhat balanced itself out and it began calming down for the most part. All I can say is it would be good to learn from those mistakes
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:19 AM
WildcardX
Developer

Quote:
There has to be some way that developers can function and code without all that crap being done. We went from a lot of work being done but a poor community, to a great community and no work being done!!

WTB the mythical middle ground!!
I have to take exception here on the statements that EQEmu is a dying project or that no work is being done anymore. I know for a fact the hard work cavedude and I put into the PEQ work database. Him and I are adding or editing the database on a daily basis. Also, there are a number of people who are contributing other changes to the PEQ database which we manage and then there are also a number of people who make contributions to the quests on a daily basis. As for the coding, I know KLS and FNW are very active as am I. Its true that during the summer, things slowed down a lot, but I think thats normal and happens every summer. I know for me, the summer means a lot of home improvement projects and vacation.

Anyways, it irked me reading that nothing is being done to further the project, because it is simply not true. And this is coming from one of the "developers"... me.

Quote:
If it's not on IRC, it ain't l33t!
Closed Thread