Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:31 PM
Larthrus
Fire Beetle

Default Connection to server cannot be reached

I am trying to setup the game to be run offline, went through all the steps for setting up the server but am stuck at the login screen. Error message, a connection to the server cannot be established. My login server is set to 127.0.0.1:5998. I can connect to public servers without any issue and am trying to set up anow offline server. Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:39 AM
Visha
Fire Beetle

Default Same issue

I have the same problem. Trying to set up a server for offline play while underway. I'm running it in a virtual windows 7 machine via virtualbox. Server runs great, but I can't log into it from the physical host.

I've read over a LOT of posts about the setup, and I've looked at the stuff regarding firewalls, login.ini, eqemu_config, and eqhost.txt. So far, I haven't figured out the right mix of IP address and firewall setting within those files, or perhaps there's something extra I'm missing.

I'm sure it's simple and I just need a better grasp of basics. If you figure it out before I do, I'd love to know how you got it to work. Until then, or a posted fix from one of the guys who gets it, I'll continue knuckle-dragging and internet/forum searching.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:20 PM
Uleat
Developer

If you can connect from the public login server, then you are definitely not configured properly.

When you specify 'offline' server, you need to clarify whether it will be localhost- or LAN-based.

The LAN-only setup is essentially the same as the public, with the exception of no port-forwarding (and a few other things...)

Here are links to my setup for a 'localhost' server:
http://wiki.eqemulator.org/i?Module=...aste=v9o6ffGz#
http://wiki.eqemulator.org/i?Module=...aste=Iq5InHLy#

LAN setup:
http://wiki.eqemulator.org/i?M=Pastebin&Paste=a7B7hqZK#
http://wiki.eqemulator.org/i?M=Pastebin&Paste=CQtvaEUL#

Compilin' Dirty
Old 04-25-2016, 11:34 PM
Visha
Fire Beetle

Default I might be making this overly difficult with virtualbox

Uleat, thanks for responding! I have seen your posts a lot in my meandering.
Your answer will probably fix the issue if I have the server intalled directly on my machine, but I don't. It is on virtualbox. The only IP readout I get is 10.0.2.15;I'm unable to ping that address from MSDOS on the host machine, so it's no surprise that I can't connect.

my questions are these:

1) I've read some old posts stating that installing the server repack messed up windows / explorer for some folks. I realize this new self-installer is NOT exactly the same, so is it safe for windows to run outside of a virtual environment? I've noticed NOTHING wrong on the Windows 7 I have installed on my virtual, but my host runs windows 10 and I have no backup disks.

2) If the answer to the question above is "it's fine", then I have no more questions! If it's not, though... I'm back at "why can I not see this virtual machine from the host?" In answer to your question about local or LAN, I'm going for LAN.This is definitely a straight configuration issue; from your other posts, I know that's right up your alley. I used your configuration suggestions (both of them) and neither could resolve the issue. I'm positive it has to do with my inability to ping the virtual machine. If that was fixed, I think the answers you've already provided would do the trick.

Thanks for taking the time to help! Thanks also to you and all the other members of the project; you guys are giants to a lot of people, and we appreciate what you've done here.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:10 PM
Uleat
Developer

I don't have any experience with VMs..so, I can't answer that one.

The installer is completely different than the repack. It really is no different than installing the components yourself following a guide.

The only issue I recall about the repack was that it was uninstallable for some people, leading to the case of it always trying to reinstall itself.

That was traced back to a perl hangup - I believe - and was not actually the fault of the repack itself.

There may have been other issues..but, that's the one I recall atm.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 04-26-2016, 05:48 PM
Visha
Fire Beetle

Default Thanks!

Thank you Uleat! I will install it on my computer after work instead of virtualbox, and follow the guide you have provided. I don't anticipate any further issues, but I'll post back with results. If my post times seem wonky, it's because I'm posting from Japan. it's 6:50 a.m. here.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:59 AM
Visha
Fire Beetle

Default Working

It works! Haven't tried logging in from a different comp, but I can log in from this one. Should be fine since it's set up for LAN. Now I can buy my network switch and cat cable. Looking forward to playing underway on my off hours! Thanks a bunch Uleat!
Old 05-02-2016, 10:42 PM
ArtofPeace
Fire Beetle

Well I sort of have the same issue. If it is preferable to start a new thread about it please let me know. Otherwise Ill add onto this one.

I have used the Windows Server Installer provided by Akkadius, and everything installed without any issues. I am using the Titanium client.

I am attempting to set up my server for Offline private play. I can run the start server batch file, and it loads up everything without issues. When I launch the game, it just comes back with "a connection to the server could not be reached, check your internet connection to make sure you are online."

Edited**

On a hunch I decided to go and reinstall my actual game client.
That seems to have done it for whatever reason, I am now able to load up and log in no issues (so far)
So all good here!

Last edited by ArtofPeace; 05-02-2016 at 11:39 PM.. Reason: Solved issue