Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:03 AM
Theaccused
Fire Beetle

Default Accused of MQ2 use

I am not sure if there is a better forum to post this, but I need help. I have been accused of using MQ2 on my server and I am trying to clear my name. I have never used MQ2. If there is something in my version of Underfoot that is causing this to trigger, I need to know what is is so I can root it out. I am not seeing anything on my end that seems odd (I don't suddenly find myself on the other side of a zone for example).

I went from having a warm and wonderful relationship with the server leadership to getting vitriol thrown at me. I need to know what is causing this to clear my name.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:46 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Okay a few things.

First are you at liberty to say which server? Hell I get those reports on my own server from my own character. I could not even tell you how to use MQ2, never played with it.

I always find it better to rely on my players to report people. You normally get a feel for the hackers you need to watch, and that we do.

The GM sounds a bit like he may be new to the EqEmu scene. I have seen something as simple as lag or a normal port cause the hackers table to get filled with false entries.

Quote:
Provocating /MQZone used at 251.86, -351.25, -4.72 qeytoqrg
You get messages like this....

Quote:
Kilyin attempting to target something beyond the clip plane of 1960000.00 units, from (468.40, -481.21, 33.60) to a_puma002 (-545.30, 616.42, 50.93)
Just from using the /target command to target your own corpse when it is over a certain distance. I would say the hackers table is just for a "reference", not to be used verbatim.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:55 PM
joligario
Developer

I look at logs like this all the time and I don't see any obvious cheating. I have ways of spotting particular things and these don't trigger my spidey senses.

There are a couple items of interest, but I would need to see full pattern details to confirm.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:00 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by joligario View Post
I look at logs like this all the time and I don't see any obvious cheating. I have ways of spotting particular things and these don't trigger my spidey senses.
It would help if you can elaborate some of what you actually do look for, a PM would be fine.

I also do not see anything that jumps out at me. I cannot just trust the hackers table entirely. You get a feel for players after a while. It can simply be their play style, the way they talk in OOC, you just get a feel for your genuine players.

Some of my best players that have been with me from the beginning trip the hackers table, I know for a fact they hate hackers. They would no more use MQ2 than I would.

As I said I do not know much about MQ2 but looking at your timestamps you were in adjacent zones quite a few minutes apart. If you were warping around would you not make a larger leap? That in itself makes me think the log is false.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:01 PM
Theaccused
Fire Beetle

I have let the GM know about this thread in an effort to get a better handle on it. The concern they have is that my characters generates more reports than any other characters in game (for example, one of my peers had 4 reports to my 80). We (GM and I) are continuing to talk about it, and this feedback is heartening to me. I am also installing a fresh copy of my client from a different source in the event that the problem is something in the client I downloaded.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:04 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theaccused View Post
I have let the GM know about this thread in an effort to get a better handle on it. The concern they have is that my characters generates more reports than any other characters in game (for example, one of my peers had 4 reports to my 80). We (GM and I) are continuing to talk about it, and this feedback is heartening to me. I am also installing a fresh copy of my client from a different source in the event that the problem is something in the client I downloaded.
That will make no difference that I can think of.

It could be something as simple as you having higher latency or running faster. You want to see that hackers table trip? Jump on one of my boats, you can fill that log up quick.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:07 PM
Splose
Banned

As Provocating said it definitely looks like a combination of latency issues + a new server operator.

If you disconnect for a few seconds and run across the zone it'll show up as a huge warp.. Looking at this nothing looks super fishy. Even if they were legit logs nothing really crazy going on.

A big tip for new server operators.. The "moderate MQer" is very rare in my experience, most will make characters with the intent of just cheating on them and will generate TONS of logs (like 80 a day, not 80 over the span of a long time).

Just as well to be safe and to avoid things like this it's very easy to just keep stuff like this to yourself and watch the player invisible and anon. Can't really blame them for being mad though.. it's very disheartening as a content creator for someone to just skip around my zones ignoring most of the time I spent on it.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:12 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splose View Post
The "moderate MQer" is very rare in my experience
I strongly disagree with this statement. Maybe it's just because they all play on PEQ or EZ and don't look at other servers, but the people I know that play on EQEmu and use MQ2 would fall under "moderate MQer"
Old 04-14-2016, 03:14 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splose View Post
Just as well to be safe and to avoid things like this it's very easy to just keep stuff like this to yourself and watch the player invisible and anon. Can't really blame them for being mad though.. it's very disheartening as a content creator for someone to just skip around my zones ignoring most of the time I spent on it.
Only thing that bothers me is them wasting my time. I have more constructive things to do than ban players.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:23 PM
Furniture
Hill Giant

I'd guess these logs are from some kind of npc porter or gate spells. If you look at the misty thicket entries, they are all from a similar location.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:29 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
I'd guess these logs are from some kind of npc porter or gate spells. If you look at the misty thicket entries, they are all from a similar location.
Nice eye.

/10char
Old 04-14-2016, 03:30 PM
Splose
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonstar55 View Post
I strongly disagree with this statement. Maybe it's just because they all play on PEQ or EZ and don't look at other servers, but the people I know that play on EQEmu and use MQ2 would fall under "moderate MQer"
Probably an outdated tidbit, I haven't had a server open to the public for a few years by now.. but damn if I didn't have some interesting people running around back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocating View Post
Only thing that bothers me is them wasting my time. I have more constructive things to do than ban players.
It's a waste of everyone's time but for the sake of my sanity I've had to do it on a few occasions since I know 99% of the time if I confront them they'll just lie about it.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:53 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocating View Post
I have more constructive things to do than ban players.

Tee hee

/10char

Old 04-21-2016, 12:04 PM
chrsschb
Dragon

Is there some reason the GM didn't shadow you for a while to make a factual conclusion? The hackers table is usually full of garbage.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:06 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsschb View Post
Is there some reason the GM didn't shadow you for a while to make a factual conclusion? The hackers table is usually full of garbage.
He actually did, there is more to the story. As usual there are two sides.