Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::News

General::News EQemu news posts.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:45 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Unless you made a typo, it looks like you're trying to grab from PEQ :P

I usually just follow the sourceforge page using the plain ole cvs command which says:

Code:
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@eqemulator.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/eqemulator login

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@eqemulator.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/eqemulator co -P EQEmuCVS
I assume you can tack on /Source/eqbuilder and /Source/eqextractor after EQEmuCVS to grab just those two projects. If you do get them working, might as stick them in SVN under utils.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Andrew80k
Dragon

I took a crack at compiling these 2 over the weekend both on Unix and Windows. I don't have the MFC classes with the Express version of the compiler I have for windows and wasn't able to get anywhere close to getting it going there. I made some more progress compiling it on Linux, but it still failed for me, but I'm using gcc 4+ an older version *might* compile it. But it appeared to have some files missing, namely one of the logsys files, but I don't remember which one off the top of my head. I thought I'd take a little different tack and hack up ShowEQ to get it to give me the information that I was looking for and then hack it up some more to log it properly. That might work, /shrug.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:02 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

The missing files are probably in common, in fact you may need zone too. Might as well grab all of the source.

ShowEQ is extremely limited when compared with the power of eqextractor and EQBuilder. Between the two, they can handle zone data, doors, objects, ground spawns, traps, NPCs with full stats and their paths, merchantlists, etc. Even I sometimes take things like doors and zone data for granted, but looking at these new zones, I'm starting to see how brutal it will be to do it all manually :(
Old 02-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Andrew80k
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedude View Post
The missing files are probably in common, in fact you may need zone too. Might as well grab all of the source.

ShowEQ is extremely limited when compared with the power of eqextractor and EQBuilder. Between the two, they can handle zone data, doors, objects, ground spawns, traps, NPCs with full stats and their paths, merchantlists, etc. Even I sometimes take things like doors and zone data for granted, but looking at these new zones, I'm starting to see how brutal it will be to do it all manually :(
I downloaded the entire codebase again to make sure I was getting the latest. But these 2 haven't been updated in years, and if there is stuff in zone and common it's probably not even going to compile anyway, but that would likely give clues to where things need to be fixed. Is it possible that the files it's expecting no longer exist? Has the logging changed in the last couple of years? If so they may actually just be gone in favor of something else. I've only been on the emu for a year or so actively so I don't recall.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:47 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

The newest of the files look to be 18 months old, so:

Code:
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@eqemulator.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/eqemulator co -D "01 Sep 2007" -P EQEmuCVS
Should grab them all from that time period. I'll try when I get home.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:40 AM
trevius
Developer

Cool, I got them now. Just from a quick review of the source for eqextractor and eqbuilder, it looks like it may be fairly easy to get them working pretty well. That is assuming there aren't currently any issues with compiling these builds. It looks like all they need are new opcodes and structs to match eqlive. I think combining some of the structs I have made for SoF, and the structs and opcodes from ShowEQ, it shouldn't be that bad at all. At least, that is if that is all there is to updating them. Really, it should only require just a few structures and opcodes to be accurate. Off the top of my head, I think it would mostly just be the spawn, door, objects, positionupdate, newzone and zonepoints structures (and related opcodes) that would be able to get 90% of what we would want.

I will probably start trying them out soon and see what happens.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:20 PM
Andrew80k
Dragon

Anyone have any luck with this yet. I tried getting the Sep 1 version but I'm getting the same error:

Code:
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../common/logsys_eqemu.o', needed by `world'.  Stop.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:29 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

I've reverted to using VS 6.0 and MySQL 4.0 on Windows and I am getting there. Tons of code errors but hopefully I'll get it to compile.

As for your error, just add the file to your makefile But, why you are building world? It isn't required to do so.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:25 AM
Andrew80k
Dragon

Well I've made much more progress. I have the collector compiled now, but the extractor isn't happy. I compiled world because it seemed, at least on linux that it was looking for other stuff. Now that I have everything except extractor compiling, I probably don't really need to. But I tried a couple of ways before to get it to compile by itself and I just kept getting dependency issues. I compiled it all and it seems to like that better. Now it's just time to find out where it's broken...
Old 02-15-2009, 06:39 PM
trevius
Developer

Let me know if you guys can get these to compile. If I am right and all that is needed is updated Struct/Opcodes, that should be considerably easy to do using ShowEQ source.

Since I am pretty busy with SoF still, I don't have much time to work on this just yet. But, if anyone wants to test out if my theory on how to fix them is correct, I would gladly spend a few minutes to update something easy like Doors so you guys could see if it then works to collect doors. If that doesn't work, then there is probably more to it than I am thinking. If it does work though, it should verify that we could have these great tools up and running again in no time. Really, using the ShowEQ source, almost anyone could do it. They keep opcodes that we would want for this in the /conf/zone_opcodes.xml file and the packet structures are in the /src/everquest.h file. ShowEQ and EQEmu use almost the exact same structure setup, so it will almost be just a copy and paste. Other than that, you may need to compare the Titanium struct/field names with the struct/field names from ShowEQ and make sure that they match. For the ones that don't match, you just need to use your best guess as to which Titanium field would be in place of the ShowEQ field. Most of those are very easy to tell though, because it is the difference of something like "Name" and "name" in most cases.

I will definitely take some time after SoF development settles down some and give these tools a shot. But, if anyone wants to have a try at it before then, feel free! I will definitely try to answer any questions anyone working on these might have. Though, I really can't help much with the actual compile. I suck at that stuff, lol. I would mostly just be able to help with Structs and Opcodes since I have been getting alot of experience with them lately :P
Old 02-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Andrew80k
Dragon

I'm still having trouble getting the extractor to compile. There are some files missing from the cvs download that I can't even find in the svn. I tried to copy things around and comment stuff out but I'm still not having any luck. I may just skip it for now and see if I can just get the collector going. Once I have that going and collecting logs I can work on the extractor to get the data out of them. I'm working on it a bit tonight.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:16 AM
trevius
Developer

Hmm yeah, I can't get either of these even close to compiling either. If you can get either compiling, or if someone can't find a version that does actually compile, I will start trying out adjusting some structs and opcodes in them and running them to see if they might actually be able to get working with Live again. Once the compile works for both, it won't be hard for me to find out just how rough it will be to get them both updated for EQLive again. I imagine it won't be bad at all.

Really, all I need is something that can identify an opcode and then use a packet structure to parse the fields out and convert that to SQL. ShowEQ already has easily readable log files that could be parsed pretty easily. I know that is basically all these 2 programs are doing. If I knew enough about how to make something that could do that, I would make one myself lol. It would just need to be able to convert hex into strings, floats and int8, int16 and int32s. After that it would be all about putting them into a format that could make an SQL file or go directly into the database even.

I figure that if I have to, I may just use ShowEQ to collect the really hard stuff to get set perfectly like doors and manually break each field down from the packet and add them to my database manually. I could probably do doors in about 5 minutes each, which is much less time than trying to place them the hard way lol.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:01 AM
trevius
Developer

Yeah, just to test it, I just manually converted all of the doors in Crescent Reach into the database and they seem to work perfectly. Everything is in the right place and even lifts work great and are perfectly aligned. I just broke down each packet to fit the packet structure for doors, and then used hexvis to get all of the info from the hex that I needed for the table.

So, if needed, things like this could be done manually with some work, but it would be extremely nice to get the 2 tools working that were made to do this automatically
Old 02-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Andrew80k
Dragon

Well, I was able to get the collector to compile under linux. It includes a bunch of stuff from the common files so I've been trying to make sure it was using the latest version of stuff. My next step is to take what I can of the ShowEQ stuff and make sure the structs and opcodes are correct for live and then try to collect to see what that does. Unfortunately, it's probably going to be slow for me for a bit as I just got into the teeth of my graduate classes. I will be trying to get this going over the next couple of weeks though. I'll post as I progress. I haven't gotten the extractor to compile yet, but I suspect that I know what is wrong and I think I have solved it but I haven't tried it yet. It's not much use without the collector working so my priority is on the collector. Once the collector is working again I can pass that to the PEQ guys and they can start collecting the heck out of live zones and I'll start working on the extractor. I don't think the builder will be hard once the others are working. It actually may work just the way it is, but we'll see.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:03 PM
trevius
Developer

Oh, you are working on eqcollector? I thought were were only talking about eqextractor and eqbuilder2. I think eqextractor pulls the data from the packet collect and puts it in a certain order or whatever and then eqbuilder takes the output from eqextractor and puts it into the database. I am not sure how eqcollector would fit into all of that, but I didn't think it would be useful to us anymore. Plus, IIRC, the structures and stuff work differently there, so it would be harder to get it going I think.