Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 11-14-2004, 05:24 AM
Slayden
Hill Giant

Default MMORPG's... The Difference...

Personally I am finding it very difficult to become interested in any of the newer MMO's- but they just don't seem to fit.

Now, I know many long for their newbie days for many, many reasons, partly being that thats when everything was new and fresh, and our addictions thrived.

Maybe its just because EQ was the first mmo that I ever experienced, for example, us older people believe ___ was the best music, and the beatles being great, while the newer kids think it sucks, and the music of their generation is the best music.

So my generation was EQ. There is something about the original EQ that draws me to it, and still does, so many things that i like about it so much more than any newer mmo up to date. The style, the graphics, the spells, the lore, the zones, the choices, the hunts, the creatures, the detail. I just can't put my finger on it all, but to me it was just, the perfect mmorpg.

I've been playing EQ2 for nearly a week, and i'm in the wow beta. Personally i'm finding wow a bit more enjoyable than EQ2, but aside from that, i'd much rather be running around norrath, taking down those hill giants with my soulfire and a few friends in rathe mountains, while waiting for that big plane of hate fear raid that was going to gather within the next few hours... And keeping an everwatchful eye out for those evil darks that may attempt to ambush us.

I guess its just me, i don't know, all i know is, i miss my EQ =/
Old 11-14-2004, 05:26 AM
mrea
Discordant

It's not just you at all. If you were to ask everyone here, I bet most would say that pre-Luclin, EQ was at it's best. Thats why I love PEQ, I can selectively enable expansions, and I still don't think (when it's released) I'll install Luclin.

Old 11-14-2004, 05:32 AM
Slayden
Hill Giant

Default ?

What is PEQ exactly, don't recall ever hearing of it.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:35 AM
mrea
Discordant

PEQ=ProjectEQ. They are the main world-building/database team. They have collected all of Classic and Kunark so if you were to set up a server like that it would be almost identical to live with only those expansions.

Old 11-14-2004, 05:39 AM
Slayden
Hill Giant

Default ahh

Very interesting, thank you
Old 11-14-2004, 07:44 AM
McFox666
Sarnak

Slayden, so do I think... I REALY miss my pre-luclin EQ =(
Old 11-14-2004, 08:54 AM
mysticalninjajesus
Banned

how come you think wow is more enjoyable than eq2? did you get in wow beta before you got eq2 so you have a higher level character on WoW so you spend more time there?
Old 11-14-2004, 02:54 PM
Slayden
Hill Giant

Default ~

Well, when you experience EQ2 quite a bit, think about it, what all do you see? It's nothing extraordinary, the best thing EQ2 has going for them is their eye-candy graphics and voicing. Aside from that, what really makes them a better game than anything else?

The overall feel i get from playing WoW is generally better. Quests are not *required* for you to do to accomplish many things throughout your characters career, animations seem to be a bit smoother in wow. Wow's pvp servers also created that fear & doubt, something that tallonzek on EQLive originally created, but lost throughout the several new expansions that had been dished out.

I've also had a bit more fun playing WoW, finishing up a hard, long hunt in the mountains, a few friends and i met up at a local in, to sit in chairs, drink our booze by the fire, and talk the rest of the night away. The vibe set by these type of environments is truely enjoyable.

The graphics are generally easier on the eyes, and a hella lot less demanding. But these are only a few features that i mention, my reasoning ofcourse goes on, and so-forth.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:01 PM
mrea
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayden
animations seem to be a bit smoother in wow.
They better be. The graphics for WoW suck as far as I am concerned. They look like they took the models from WarcraftIII and just made them larger...

Old 11-14-2004, 03:10 PM
mysticalninjajesus
Banned

EQ2 has the superior engine.. WoW has the superior 3d artists. its true sadly.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:13 PM
mrea
Discordant

Eh, the WoW models suck imo. I feel EQ2 has the best of both, although I can't truly say because I haven't played WoW yet, but screenshots look 'dated' to say the least.

Old 11-14-2004, 03:24 PM
mysticalninjajesus
Banned

you probly think the post-luclin models are better too because the old ones feel 'dated'. too you whatever has more polygons is going to be the superior model no doubt.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:28 PM
mrea
Discordant

No, I do prefer a lot of the older models to the newer ones (Iksar, Human, etc) but I'm saying the modellers for Blizzard didn't even try on WoW. I know they have talent because of how SC:Ghost is looking but well, yea, thats my position.

Old 11-14-2004, 03:56 PM
Scorpx725
Discordant

EQ1 Velious Roxd my sox.

I loved EQ classic at release, couldnt stop playing it. The game was just so much fun. It was groundshaking really, a world with other real players.

Raiding Naggy, Vox, Fear, Hate and Air. Emperor Crush and his invis guard, Qeynos was swarming with people, EC tunnel lagging like you were in a pool of molases on a cold day swimming up the side of a building. 120 People zerging nagafen for almost a good hour.

Inte's Sword of Death! 120/20 was it? Hitting for 200 - 600 dmg in classic was INSANE. You dont hit for 600 now, except for BSes and crits.

Then Kunark came about, quite a fun expansion in itself, new zones, new levels, new content. And most important.. the epics. Oh god the epics. People completing them, drooling at 100hp weapons, items with 20+ a stat.

Next was velious.. oh my god Velious. This expansion was so god damn good. 3 Factions, at war. Choose your side, you made your game then. Best of all... a fuckton of dragons. Dragons everywhere. Huge zones, AoW ripping people new ones. 200 people raids wiping on him cause you had 3 or 4k hp at most.

Then Luclin.. what a fucking disaster luclin was. The "LOL 7 models for the whole expansion". The "lets give mobs 1bazillion hp". SoE took over with Luclin, and the game went down hill ever since.

Then PoP. PoP was a fun expansion.. till the cockblocking in ele's and such started. Devs.. finish shit before releasing it. kthx.

The rest of the expansion I wont comment, except for GoD. Horrible in its released state, now not bad.

PvP! I remember me and 3 friends killing trolls in their swamp for about 3 hours, till some ubers came in and almost got us.. hiding in the troll swamp cause we were lost as all hell. Dear god that was fun. Now EQ PvP is so bad.

Ok well, Im done running my mouth, that was a fun trip down memory lane.

Edit-- Yes, I know Hate etc wasnt released till a bit after release.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:46 PM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

On the contrary... I liked Luclin + PoP much better than Old World, Kunark and espically Velious. Also the luclin models...awesome.

'Course I didn't actually read the posts above this, I skimmed them.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.