Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Default Does anyone want some custom zones?

For those who don't know the Scorpious2k server, we have over 20 custom (not in EQLive) zones. I'm not talking about the way they are populated, I mean the ZONES are different - created with OpenZone and a lot of imagination.

For some time, I have wanted to find a way to release these to the community. I have decided to either:

1) make it a sub-project of the EQEmu project, and put it on sourceforge. The only problems with this is that we seem to have stopped using sourceforge (makes no sense to me) and that the devs with control of our sourceforge site seem to be in perpetual AFK.

2) Start my own sourceforge project, which has the advantage of not having to count on people who are not around, and gives some independence to it. I'm not sure how independant it should be.

NOTE: these also become available for the SimpleClient project.

I guess my question is, is there any interest? Would anyone want to work on new zones? Contribute zones they have created? Would anyone want to use these? Or am would I be wasting my time?
Old 06-04-2008, 08:07 PM
xxarthurxx
Hill Giant

I would be interested, Id love to see how others have set up their custom zones ect and varity is always nice
Old 06-05-2008, 12:49 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Agree, Scorp. I think you should open your own SVN if nothing else, and maybe keep a couple of admins assigned in case you fall off the planet.

Do these zones require "ZoneProxy"? I remember reading about that lonnnng ago, and it scared me away from ever making my own content with OpenZone. I tried once and made an OZ custom zone named "Nexus" and it worked pretty good... then, ADHD took over and next thing you know I am doing DB work elsewhere.

I like the work Sak was doing, and so far not convinced about SimpleClient (no offense - just never gave it a good whirl). If nothing, I'd love to learn how to "properly" create custom zones like this. In short, yes. Please.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:22 AM
Bulle
Hill Giant

Indeed I am interested Scorpious. I feel our community of world builders should share the work we do to a greater extent. At the moment there is not much custom content available "to pick and start from", there is pretty much only PEQ and Angelox DB.

Custom zone geometry is one thing we all could use. We could also start sharing some of our zone contents (not talking specifically about your zones here, we all have written some stuff on our own), custom quests etc. It is normal that server maintainers do not publish their whole world, and this is not what I am asking for. But when portions of a world contents became fairly well-known it may be time to share it, selectively.

One major problem for content sharing is the medium. Zone geometry files are whole, so that part is quite easy, it takes making the files available for download somewhere, with minimal instructions on how to put that to work. Content (DB, quest) is something else entirely.

My latest work on EQEmu was to write a wiki-based tool as a way of configuring (writing) content. The tool take scontent description from a wiki and generates the DB entries out of that. It would be a way to share, as the wiki part is very readable, and the generation works. But at the moment I have little time to devote to EQEmu so I have put it on hold.

People may want to ask what I have to share. I would like to get stuff, but what can I offer in return ? Well I do not have much, but I have written a few quests and tweaked some NPC drops for low-level adventuring. As I do not plan to run a public server for the moment I would have no problem sharing that with other content builders.

To sum up Scopious, new zones are very interesting and if you can make some of them available to us be sure you can count me among the grateful people who will look at them. I hope we can go further as time progresses, and that your initiative encourages our community to open some of our private gardens
Old 06-05-2008, 02:17 AM
Cripp
Discordant

definatly interested. just got into the whole OZ thing myself and this would help me figure some stuff out im sure.

www.nugblazers.com
Old 06-05-2008, 05:20 AM
Aramid
Discordant

Seriously, I really don't know why you need to ask . Post up the zones and just watch the download counter roll up the numbers.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:42 AM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams View Post
Agree, Scorp. I think you should open your own SVN if nothing else, and maybe keep a couple of admins assigned in case you fall off the planet.
I was thinking the same thing. Well, not the planet/fall thing. Only thing that would take me away is my current computer (lack of) crisis, but that's another thread.

Quote:
Do these zones require "ZoneProxy"? I remember reading about that lonnnng ago, and it scared me away from ever making my own content with OpenZone.
No, the way we use them is simply to replace existing zones. I selected the mmc*, ruj*, mir*, and guk* zones as a large block of them. We also used Nektropos and tutoriala. Basically, any zone you never plan on using "as-is" can be a custom zone.

Quote:
I like the work Sak was doing, and so far not convinced about SimpleClient (no offense - just never gave it a good whirl).
Sak and I actually worked together to create a zone. He is very talented. I would hope we can drag him into this little project.

The zone we did is a city, called Copper City. It lies on the northern tip of our starting zones, the homeland islands... Basically, Copper City relaces both PoK and bazaar.

This is the only zone I will hold on to (until I have his permission to release it since he is co-designer)

Quote:
If nothing, I'd love to learn how to "properly" create custom zones like this. In short, yes. Please.
I'm not sure about "properly design", but we have learned a lot with each zone we created.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:02 AM
quadroplex
Banned

deffinatly interested.

As a side note just so everyone knows you can rename zones using s3d spy to rename all the wld files within a zone file you can also change textures, graphics and so forth, making it entirely possible to customize your server almost anyway you see fit!
Old 06-05-2008, 01:43 PM
Sakrateri
Dragon

Sure Scorp, You can give it out. I have no problems with letting others have zones. The only problem I have is that I start getting requests from people to let them have the scene files also and then that means they need all the textures and models also which you know can be rather time consuming and I also have to be careful because I am making what I hope to one day be a commercial MMO and some of my models are for that alone so I dont want to be giving my whole library away ( I make zones in 3dmax for my game but test them in EQ too!) lol. Anyway yes by all means release Copper City. I am also very sorry to hear about your bad luck and feel bad I cant do anything to help you out but I am starting a new life in a new country and its taking all I have to survive at the moment, I hope things look up for you soon.

Also I offered before to make any zones to replace EQ zones for people or even for SimpleClient and that offer still stands as long as no one wants my scene files too :O

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 06-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakrateri View Post
Sure Scorp, You can give it out. I have no problems with letting others have zones. The only problem I have is that I start getting requests from people to let them have the scene files also and then that means they need all the textures and models also which you know can be rather time consuming and I also have to be careful because I am making what I hope to one day be a commercial MMO and some of my models are for that alone so I dont want to be giving my whole library away ( I make zones in 3dmax for my game but test them in EQ too!) lol. Anyway yes by all means release Copper City.
Okay, two things.

FIRST: I want to give out the SCN file along with the *required* textures and meshes for that zone (or put together a package of textures, meshes and models for this project as an add-on for openzone). I would like people to be able to play around with what we have done, change it , and learn. I feel this will lead to more people doing zones, and then everyone benfits.

SECOND: I registered a project on sourceforge today. It will take a while to get approved, but when it does I can't imagine anyone else I would like to ask to be an admin on it first. Interested?

Quote:
I am also very sorry to hear about your bad luck and feel bad I cant do anything to help you out but I am starting a new life in a new country and its taking all I have to survive at the moment, I hope things look up for you soon.
Thanks, and best wishes to you on your move. You didn't move to some strange country and have to learn a new language... like Canada did you?

Quote:
Also I offered before to make any zones to replace EQ zones for people or even for SimpleClient and that offer still stands as long as no one wants my scene files too :O
With the new sourceforge project, there will be a central place for new zones, textures, meshes, etc to be shared.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:28 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpious2k View Post
You didn't move to some strange country and have to learn a new language... like Canada did you?
Truly a frightening thought indeed. Godspeed, Sakrateri.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Richardo
Banned

Hey Scorp. You can give away the zone I gave you too by the way.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardo View Post
Hey Scorp. You can give away the zone I gave you too by the way.
Thanks, but I don't have the scn file or textures/meshes for it.

I am trying to keep it open source (as much as OZ has "source" for a zone)
Old 06-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

I found this, it will give a little preview of what I am talking about: http://scorpious2k.cafe150.com/ click the picture of the zones you want to see more about. I didn't have Homeland Islands in when i did this, so for those zones you will have to wait to see (or download the files and get on my server and collect your own screen shots
Old 06-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Looks like we need a plan "B". I got this back from sourceforge:

Code:
Greetings, The project you are requesting is being rejected, as we have
determined that it is a content generating project, rather than a project
developing Open Source Software. SourceForge.net exists to allow projects a
development environment for creating Open Source Software. Its purpose is
not to host personal content or content which may take up our resources but
which no real software development may be realized. Based on the description
of the project you have provided us, your project is being rejected.
Thank you, SourceForge.net Support
Ideas anyone?