Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:06 PM
Halon
Fire Beetle

Default A server like P99 without all the issues?

Looking for a server similar to P99 ruleset, no boxing, setup for grouping etc etc...without all the connection issues, error 1017, 1018, crashing when zoning.

I literally spend more time trying to connect and login than I do playing. I quit trying after 5-10 attempts and play somewhere else. I tried every "fix" they have posted in forums and on reddit.

Some people will say it is on my side that the problems exist. I can not agree to that. I have 8 different emu client installed and only p99 has these issues. I also play several different mmo's from EVE, EQ Live, ESO, Tera to Warframe - None have connection issues.

TL;DR - Server like P99 without connection problems of P99.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:13 AM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
Some people will say it is on my side that the problems exist. I can not agree to that. I have 8 different emu client installed and only p99 has these issues. I also play several different mmo's from EVE, EQ Live, ESO, Tera to Warframe - None have connection issues.
Just curious, how are the other 100's of players connecting ? (including myself). You don't ask yourself that ? Doesn't matter how many clients you have installed, only Titanium works on 99, along with the patch files from their site.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:01 AM
Halon
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huppy View Post
Just curious, how are the other 100's of players connecting ? (including myself). You don't ask yourself that ? Doesn't matter how many clients you have installed, only Titanium works on 99, along with the patch files from their site.

I have asked that, I have used a clean titanium install, I installed it 4 different times. Re-downloaded the patch zip. Set compatibility modes, flushed dns cache, and several other posted fixes, I even stood on one foot and prayed to the p99 gods and still I spent 45+ minutes logging in, select server back to login or when I was able to get to character select. Select character and back to login. You might think that is a fine way to run things but I don't want to waste my time doing it. Why does it have this issue when other emu servers do not? Is it because titanium client? It worked great every so often. Not sure why it is an issue now. And there seems to be quite a few people getting the error from all over the place. Support is "so sorry" but no workie.

On Topic - Any other servers out there that work and run the same ruleset?
Old 03-10-2020, 01:15 AM
Splose
Banned

Quote:
Why does it have this issue when other emu servers do not?
P99 is much more advanced than most other servers. They have systems in place that won't allow you to login unless you have their current patch installed properly. There are hundreds of people online right now.. it is your problem not the servers.

And there may be other servers running the same ruleset and type of environment as P99 but the quality will be much lower.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:37 AM
Halon
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splose View Post
P99 is much more advanced than most other servers. They have systems in place that won't allow you to login unless you have their current patch installed properly. There are hundreds of people online right now.. it is your problem not the servers.

And there may be other servers running the same ruleset and type of environment as P99 but the quality will be much lower.
Yep, I know it is working for hundreds of others but there are some that is doesn't work for. (look at the forums.)

Since it is working for those hundreds it obviously not any problem from their (P99) end. I get that logic so please explain why it works sometimes but doesn't other times.

Why I can get in and play for 20-30 minutes but then it is nothing but 1017 error after error for as long as I feel like putting up with it.

Let me be clear, I do not care why it is not working. I have tried everything they and other players have offered up as fixes and nothing works 100% or at all. I do not care about the quality if I can not get on and play reliably. I am not going to invest my leisure time in a server that is not available to ME when I have time play.

Instead of offering the an inane comment of it works for others and/or works for me. Tell me how to fix it so I can play.

Or better yet - stay on Topic and offer up alternative servers I can spend time on that will work.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:00 AM
Uleat
Developer

I would ask if you have these same types of problems on other servers - regardless of client.

If so, it would most likely be a local issue.

I'm not saying this is the cause and not offering any advice if it is..

..but, a lot of people with connection issues have a 'budget' plan from their ISP.

Those types of plans tend to not do well with the data rate required when first connecting to a server.

Something to check...

Compilin' Dirty
Old 03-10-2020, 11:19 AM
Halon
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uleat View Post
I would ask if you have these same types of problems on other servers - regardless of client.

If so, it would most likely be a local issue.

I'm not saying this is the cause and not offering any advice if it is..

..but, a lot of people with connection issues have a 'budget' plan from their ISP.

Those types of plans tend to not do well with the data rate required when first connecting to a server.

Something to check...
Thank you, that is my current point. I do not have those issues with other clients / servers or any other games.

I have a high speed 4G internet plan that is metered, but of course I verified I had not hit the limit. In my op I listed a few games I play that I am assuming (not verified) use more or are more strenuous in their network connection and/or security.

This didn't just happened once and I am here to complain, I tried playing blue a year ago from totally different location with a totally different isp and had the same type problems. It did not happen every day or every time I zoned but it happened enough that i did not want to waste my time trying to play on it.

When green/teal came out, it was the same thing. I could play at times without issues but other times it was an exercise in futility. At that time I was travelling between 2 different countries using 2 different setups and both had similar issues at various times.

My long winded point though is I do not want to invest the time building a character on a server that is not available to me when I have time to play on it. That is the bottom line and as I have exhausted the resources for fixing this issue. Well it is time to move on.

Thanks again.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:04 PM
Dogmai9
Sarnak

Have you tried binding the EQ process to a single processor core? I know that is an easy fix for some people.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:15 PM
Halon
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmai9 View Post
Have you tried binding the EQ process to a single processor core? I know that is an easy fix for some people.
yes I did, I tried wineq2 as well, I also spun up a single cpu single core xp vm and tried that with the same error. I even installed it on my linux workstation and tried in on wine just for shits and giggles. Same issues. It isn't really a 1017 error since the client will work fine some of the times.

I am betting it is a network issue. Since there are times everything works and other times it doesn't. I have 40-50 Mbps connection with low latency and 2-10ms jitter. I am assuming it is somewhere between P99 servers and my location. My assumption is I can play several alts in eve online and never have a connection issues. I am running 6 alts in EQ Live right now with no problems but not 20 minutes ago I tried to play P99 and kept getting kicked to the login screen or never get past the server select.

This is an on going issue and not something that is new for P99, its been happening to a portion of their player-base for at least 5-10 yrs, maybe more I only skimmed over the posts looking for possible fixes.

Thanks for asking but its almost a moot point now
Old 03-11-2020, 12:27 AM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
I tried every "fix" they have posted in forums and on reddit.
Just throwing something else into the hat, (whether it's relevant or not). Anyone trying to help with troubleshooting on these forums, has no idea just exactly what theories have been thrown at you already, so you may hear repeats of what you've heard already, elsewhere. We don't know about them all yet.

I have read about some having connection issues with P99 when they've had their CPU overclocked. (I don't understand that claim, but maybe a hardware compatibility thing for some) I can't judge anything unless I am right at their box.

Also, just a trivial note, my last ISP, that I got rid of real fast, I was having random connection problems all over the internet.(with logins, etc) I did not realize, (because they don't tell anyone), the "cheaper" packages get harrassed with the dynamic IP being reset/changed several times a day. The sales rep encourages one to upgrade their package to make that issue go away. /shrug

Not sure if any of that is relevant to your issues, but just a thought.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:58 AM
Dogmai9
Sarnak

I wish I could help more. I played on the same server for over a year and never had a single connectivity problem. When I upgraded to a new machine, same operating system mind you, I would disconnect every time I zoned. I'm not smart enough to figure out what was causing it.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:20 AM
Halon
Fire Beetle

No problem, thanks for advice. I have 20+ years in IT and DevOps, and I have tried every suggestion I could find. I probably have over 60 hrs trying to diagnose the issue. Last night I tested a neighbors isp (dsl) same problems.

It's a game and while I wish I could play there , I think I have devoted more than enough resources to it. Its time to move on.

Lol - ergo this thread that keeps wandering off topic.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:30 PM
Halon
Fire Beetle

Update

I tried logging in and playing, worked until I zoned and dumped me, then it was login - server select - login 1017 error cycle again.

I decided to test a theory

I created an account on a cheap vpn and guess what... P99 works fine...my latency went from 50-70 to 150-190ms but zoned a dozen or more times and logged out and in 5 times in a row without one hitch.

I wonder why that is... Oh well not worth the headaches.

Can close this post since there do not seem to be any classic era no boxing servers other than P99.

Laters.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:39 PM
Thalix
Sarnak

Either your Internet provider, software on your PC or your router discards or blocks necessary data packets. VPN establishes a tunnel and forwards the data past this mechanism. This is why it works with VPN.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:41 PM
Halon
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalix View Post
Either your Internet provider, software on your PC or your router discards or blocks necessary data packets. VPN establishes a tunnel and forwards the data past this mechanism. This is why it works with VPN.
Yeah, Thanks for the vpn 101 class. That explains my issue.

My computer/network/router has eq udp indigestion some of the time but only for P99 super secret network protocol since it works fine for everything else.

Well doesn't matter since I am no longer going to mess with it.