Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > OpenZone > OpenZone:: Q&A

OpenZone:: Q&A Support forum for OpenZone help

Old 05-20-2010, 07:02 PM
bristle
Sarnak

Default ryzom is open source

ryzom went open source may 7. i have been to the site to figure out if it is worth while for EQ. i stumbled across it when i was looking for meshes for opensim. i know a lot about opensim and its great on what it can do. but without meshes or npc -driven avatar, its not the great for other things.

ryzom includes the client, server, and tools. the client i am very interested because the emulators dont have one. even opensim uses other people clients.

there are good things about ryzom but i am sure that there will be same bad things. for example, tiles. i like the more organic flow in opensim but then the tiles offer a lot over that. so you give up the convience of opensim (which no one uses here anyway) to tiles.

it used 3dsmax with a promise of blender/collada/fbx -- some part of that.
right now, i would love to see a character in 3dsmax from everquest. i know you can do it it blender for WoW.

its something to think about: http://dev.ryzom.com.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Amphitryon
Fire Beetle

I have been following NeL and Ryzom for a while now and find this has a LOT of potential for many emulator projects...especially ones in need of at least a framewrk, but the fact the client s opensource as well really puts new face on Emu projects...

It means a OT less reinventing of the wheel and not needing to be restricted by pubishers EULAs, opening the door for all kinds of custom content projects. Sure its not an exact fit, not one size fits all, but its a LOT better than starting from scratch.

With the Ryzom stuff you have a commercial grade client/server framework, development tools, full source code AND documentation and the knowledge that it works.

I am willing to bet there is potential to adapt the Ryzom client to be a client core for other Emu projects.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:47 PM
bristle
Sarnak

the client makes sense since opensim and multiverse dont have a clients -- really. for opensim they want the keep the clients second life like and there is a lot of extra stuff you dont need.

the ryzom client has some stuff that is for their service but it is simpler for other stuff. like their xml for display. i think you can have anything you want there. certainly the open screen can be another image.

the biggest problem i have see so far is that character creation is not the way some people want for EQ. but that can be changed.

now for dae or fbx, that is schedule until next year. by then, a lot of the developers will move on. that could be a problem.

for mobs and characters in EQ, there is a problem. 1) there is no export to
3dsmax or blender. and 2) you dont want to use it anyway because of the licensing problem.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:13 AM
Amphitryon
Fire Beetle

As far as licensing goes, one does not actually need to use the Ryzom client if they are using the NeL framework instead and develop their own client. NeL provides all the same pieces, just more assembly required so to speak.