Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Feature Requests

Development::Feature Requests Post suggestions/feature requests here.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:18 PM
steve
Discordant

Default Command prefix

Something that's always bugged me about the emulator is that you need to hit enter before you can type the # sign, then the command. I realize this is needed because you can't alter the /commands the client understands.

However, what about using the left bracket [ key instead? You can use that without having to press enter first... it's actually used for chat server commands on Live and was curious if [ could be used for all of the emulator commands?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:04 PM
RichardoX
Hill Giant

I can't imagine this would be a hard alteration to the existing code. All you'd need to do is to physically change the prefix(s) for all of the commands in commands.cpp I think. I haven't looked at it in a bit but I'm sure that's all you'd need to do. I don't know about you but a lot of commands for me are hotkeyed so I don't have to type anything. (other than #spawn, etc.)

Go onto the Wiki and look up the tutorial that teaches you to compile with Visual Studio 2010 Express or 2009.. I forget.. It's free by Microsoft and everything you need to get started is in the tutorial. After you get a basic feel-about where everything is; in the explorer, navigate to "Zone" and open up commands.cpp. Everything you want to do should be in there. Simply change it and play around with that. I'm sorry if I've offended you by telling you to learn to compile, I am assuming... I probably know much less. I hope I helped.. in some way..
Old 08-04-2009, 12:43 AM
RichardoX
Hill Giant

Actually correction, I looked into it and I am unsure. Sorry to have misguided you in any way if I have.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:51 AM
Rogean
Administrator

Won't work. Client is hardcoded to use [ as a chat channel command. The server never sees it.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

You could look into /cmd. I know Shards of Dalaya has it, I don't know if it is in Titanium, though.

Last edited by Secrets; 08-05-2009 at 04:07 AM..
Old 08-04-2009, 08:39 PM
steve
Discordant

/cmd doesn't even appear to be in Live... not sure how it could work without intervention by a certain external, illegal program.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:45 PM
steve
Discordant

Upon further investigation, they use a custom patcher that downloads modified client files. Without a doubt, they hacked in that command into their modified client.

Won't help us :(

I don't see why [ can't be used though. Certainly the client is passing off those commands somewhere. If the emulator had some sort of listener of incoming commands, certainly they could be used by the server to perform the same thing?

It looks like ; and ' work the same way. ; is an alias of [, and ' just makes you say it. Seems like ' could work?
Old 08-04-2009, 09:51 PM
trevius
Developer

Why do you need to enter commands without pressing the enter key?

Any command build into the client most likely won't work, as the client will examine what command was issued and decide what to send the server, if anything at all. It doesn't send it directly to the server like a /say message does.

I am not sure what good /cmd would be to you anyway, as I can only guess you are wanting to not need to hit the enter key to save yourself from having to press 1 more button when entering commands. If that isn't the case and all you care about is not needing the enter key for some random reason (I dunno, maybe your enter key is broken :P), then you can always type press ' for say and then the # command, like '#help. You could also do it the long way by typing "/say #help".

If all you are wanting is to save yourself the 1 extra keystroke, then just either buy a keyboard that can have hotkeys programmed into it and set one to do "/say #", so it works no matter what chat you are in, or you can probably download some free 3rd party hotkey app somewhere to do the same thing with your current keyboard and then just set it to something like \ or something.

Last edited by trevius; 08-05-2009 at 05:55 AM..
Old 08-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Rogean
Administrator

' is a link to /say

[ and ; are chat channels. The client makes a seperate connection to the chat channel server that is completely seperate from the emulator server. Those commands are never seen by the emulator server
Old 08-05-2009, 12:32 PM
steve
Discordant

It's not just one extra keystroke, it's enter, hold shift and then hit #, then the command. I was looking to abbreviate it to 'command. The shift key slows things down and is hard on the hands with my carpal tunnel.

Anyway, I don't see why the 'chat channel server' (do we even have this working?) can't pass commands off to the emulator server to process if it's not recognized. Seems like it would be trivial to have it listen to commands being sent and then pass them off elsewhere. But I guess that's why I'm not a programmer
Old 08-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Rogean
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Anyway, I don't see why the 'chat channel server' (do we even have this working?) can't pass commands off to the emulator server to process if it's not recognized.
/facepalm

The Game Server and Chat Channel Server do not communicate with eachother. Clients make seperate connections to each of them, and they run completely seperately
Old 08-05-2009, 02:33 PM
steve
Discordant

Thanks, but you can lose the attitude next time.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Rogean
Administrator

Wow and I was even restraining myself. If you think thats attitude then you must get offended easily.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:01 PM
steve
Discordant

Sorry, this is the Feature Request forum after all, so that's why I posted here about it, thinking it could be changed. I just didn't understand why it couldn't be changed to pass commands back and forth.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:53 PM
realityincarnate
Developer

For whatever it's worth, if you compile your own source, there's a define for COMMAND_CHAR near the top of command.h. You can change it from # to whatever you want, including [. You'd still need to type '[, but it eliminates the need to press enter first or hit the shift key.