Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::GeorgeS's Tools

Development::GeorgeS's Tools A forum just for GeorgeS's tools

Old 10-28-2014, 08:43 PM
Azuull
Sarnak

Default GeorgeS's Tools - eqitems.exe

Okay, I haven't seen this issue with eqitems.exe.

Server is Debian 7.7.0 (virtual machine, same physical machine.) - 10.0.0.32
I am running Windows XP SP3 (for the tools, virtual machine.) - 10.0.0.34
Using peqbeta_* from September as the October release is missing tables.
I can successfully log into the server with EverQuest.

MySQL Workbench connects fine from LAN machine (another physical machine).
Fixed db.ini to reflect my requirements.
Registered all OCXs with no issue.
Installed MySQL Connector ODBC 3.51.2 32bit with no issue.
MySQL TEST: MySQL Connection SUCCESS.

I've tried the root user and the 'eq' user, with hostname and IP address (along with default 3306 port). 'eqitems.exe' just refuses to connect.
Firewall is disabled (no anti-virus on XP machine).

Within /etc/mysql/my.cnf -
#bind_address is commented out (tried from a Stack Overflow post about making MySQL on Debian available to remote connections.)

No bueno. :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:54 PM
trevius
Developer

Try uncommenting your bind address entry in my.cnf and setting it to the ip on your NIC (possibly your public IP, but may be a LAN IP if you are running behind a router from your home or something):

Code:
bind-address = x.x.x.x
(where x.x.x.x is your IP)

This allows mysql to listen on your external facing interface so connections can be allowed from there.

You then need to restart mysql for the changes to take effect.

If that works for you, then you can always lock stuff down later once you have basic connectivity work. It is always easier to work backwards from something that is working than it is to try to set tight security settings and make something work that isn't yet.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:25 PM
Azuull
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
Try uncommenting your bind address entry in my.cnf and setting it to the ip on your NIC (possibly your public IP, but may be a LAN IP if you are running behind a router from your home or something):

Code:
bind-address = x.x.x.x
(where x.x.x.x is your IP)

This allows mysql to listen on your external facing interface so connections can be allowed from there.

You then need to restart mysql for the changes to take effect.

If that works for you, then you can always lock stuff down later once you have basic connectivity work. It is always easier to work backwards from something that is working than it is to try to set tight security settings and make something work that isn't yet.
Didn't seem to work. MySQL Connection Test still showing SUCCESS, eqitems.exe no-go. Tried the server's IP, the WINXP IP, even tried the '*' wildcard (no quotes).
Old 10-30-2014, 04:49 AM
vsab
Discordant

I get the same thing on my local machine- I can connect to my db programatically (using a .net program), via HeidiSQL, via EqEmu. The Test_Connection tool can connect but EqItems can't- although it does say something about the version missing in the variables table- so maybe we're just missing something it's looking for that it uses to validate the db?
Old 10-31-2014, 08:11 PM
Azuull
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsab View Post
I get the same thing on my local machine- I can connect to my db programatically (using a .net program), via HeidiSQL, via EqEmu. The Test_Connection tool can connect but EqItems can't- although it does say something about the version missing in the variables table- so maybe we're just missing something it's looking for that it uses to validate the db?

I think we need George to weigh in.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Azuull
Sarnak

Shameless bump.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:10 PM
Azuull
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsab View Post
I just reread what you said here; I don't even get to that point on my 'remote' machine.

Begrudgingly, I decided to place the tools on the local machine it's running on; I get that error. I turn off the music and it gets to the normal screen (after forcing it to run in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode).

Hooray, right?!

No.

I click 'Load in Toons' and get: Run-tim error '3704': Operation is not allowed when object is closed.
EQItems.exe then closes.

I have never had this many problems with these tools before. Tried with Win Server 2008R2, Windows 7 Professional 64bit, and Windows XP SP3 Professional. Each of these had a fresh download of Akka's EQ Repack and the tools.

*Sigh*
Old 01-25-2015, 03:30 PM
Azuull
Sarnak

Well, I loaded a new ESXi VMWare appliance (Windows 7 Professional 64bit), loaded Akka's repack, loaded a loginserver (<-- all on the ESXI box), made a toon, walked around for a minute, and logged out (<-- on my gaming box).

eqitems still throwing a run-time error:

I should mentioned that this is a fresh download of the tool and the audio for the tool is turned off. Also, I am using eqitems.exe on the same box the server is located (ESXi box.)
Old 02-11-2015, 07:16 PM
Azuull
Sarnak

Shuffle bump.