Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:39 AM
Wingwhiper
Fire Beetle

Default EQ anniversary Edition

So what's the chances of a move to the EQ anni box set rather than Titanium. Would have all of the EQ content until nov. rolls around
Old 05-16-2007, 08:01 AM
mattmeck

As stated in several other places, were not sure if this can happen, and if it can it would be months before its ready.

The option is being looked into.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:25 PM
techguy84
Discordant

Quote:
Would have all of the EQ content until nov. rolls around
This is entirely debatable. You may have the abilty to go into the zones, but as far as all the content, we are WAYYYY off from that. Zones will be empty. I feel as if having all those cool expansions are just a waste of time when the most developed database is just now finishing or in the midst of Planes of Power.

How many more expansions are after that?

I think that the only sane reason for coding anything beyone titanium is to allow anyone that can not obtain a copy of titanium the ability to play, not for the "extra bare zones"
Old 05-18-2007, 03:48 AM
Wingwhiper
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy84
This is entirely debatable. You may have the abilty to go into the zones, but as far as all the content, we are WAYYYY off from that. Zones will be empty. I feel as if having all those cool expansions are just a waste of time when the most developed database is just now finishing or in the midst of Planes of Power.

How many more expansions are after that?

I think that the only sane reason for coding anything beyone titanium is to allow anyone that can not obtain a copy of titanium the ability to play, not for the "extra bare zones"
Well I was thinking more along the lines of the non-legit servers, which, is no where near the majority of the servers, and I actually think there's only about one. The reason I think it would be nice to make the switch to Anni ove3r Titanium is to add the possibility of have all the game available to be implemented. If this project is to continue growing, in light of recent issue's, the next 3 expansions will need to be added someday anyways.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:15 AM
devn00b
Demi-God

Big problem is, cant capture packets, so cant make the code work.

Another problem is, what developer(s) are gonna do that, who is left workin on the emu? FNW? Doodman? Hell we used to have 3-5+ developers working on getting 1 patch working and that would take a couple weeks sometimes.

I wouldnt hold my breath for an update of that kind, the emu just doesnt have the people anymore.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" Club
Most Senior EQEMu Member.

Current Work: EverQuest 2 Emulator. Zeklabs Server
Old 05-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Demi-God

The days of EQEMu are coming to an end, most of the functionality has been implemented and most coders believe in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" policy, which I agree with. I am sure there are copies of Titanium available on a torrent site somewhere, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Now is the time to start supporting the new projects, SWGEMu, EQ2EMu (/cheer Lethal), and possibly a Vanguard Emulator (I am sure someone will start one sooner or later).
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:01 PM
gernblan
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by image
The days of EQEMu are coming to an end, most of the functionality has been implemented and most coders believe in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" policy, which I agree with. I am sure there are copies of Titanium available on a torrent site somewhere, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Now is the time to start supporting the new projects, SWGEMu, EQ2EMu (/cheer Lethal), and possibly a Vanguard Emulator (I am sure someone will start one sooner or later).
I respect your opinion, but as a serverop, I can tell you that no, it's not "close enough" yet. Many things just don't work right still, such as tribute, leadership points, many AAs don't work still, etc. etc.

I wish I knew C++ better, I'd be hammering away at it, but until I can pick up that language enough to write code you guys would actually accept, then all I can do is tip my hat to you all and pray that you keep working on this emulator.

EQ was the first huge MMORPG. As such, it deserves the respect to be emulated as well as possible, because it's a historic game, the first of it's kind.

I really wish there was more of a sense of history in this project, and that those who can contribute at the coding level would fall in love with it again and keep plugging away at it. I really do. I love this game.

The major complaint I've heard from some devs I've talked to is that they say that no matter what they do, their code never gets accepted, so why bother trying? I have a diff, for example, written by Aza77, that will keep players from logging in more than once per account at the same time. That's a HUGE patch for the emu, as we all know the problems multiple logins cause the LS. I asked if he was going to submit it... he replied (and I hope I'm not "outing him "here by saying his words for him but) why bother, they probably won't look at it anyway.

Just my two cents, which are probably worth even less, I know.
Jest 4 Server
Linux (Jest3 runs on Fedora, our Dev servers usually run on Ubuntu and/or Gentoo), OC-12 Connection = Hella Fast

Last edited by gernblan; 05-18-2007 at 08:06 PM..
Old 05-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Demi-God

As hard as it is to believe, tribute, leadership points, AA's are a very small portion of the game, most of the functionality for EQ is in EQEMu which is what I am referring to. I am well aware that it isn't ALL implemented.

When I started working on EQEMu my knowledge of C++ was very limited, but I can tell you tinkering with the code is the best way to learn, just continuing to pray and depend on others to do things for you just doesn't work these days.

EQ is also a very outdated engine and not the first major MMO, UO was the first major MMO. Never the less a lot of work is required to emulate any MMO and we all have real lives to contend with.

As for code not being accepted and getting booted for suggesting it, that is quite the paranoia, most coders became coders because they did submit important improvements to the project. I don't know what to say beyond that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gernblan
I respect your opinion, but as a serverop, I can tell you that no, it's not "close enough" yet. Many things just don't work right still, such as tribute, leadership points, many AAs don't work still, etc. etc.

I wish I knew C++ better, I'd be hammering away at it, but until I can pick up that language enough to write code you guys would actually accept, then all I can do is tip my hat to you all and pray that you keep working on this emulator.

EQ was the first huge MMORPG. As such, it deserves the respect to be emulated as well as possible, because it's a historic game, the first of it's kind.

I really wish there was more of a sense of history in this project, and that those who can contribute at the coding level would fall in love with it again and keep plugging away at it. I really do. I love this game.

The major complaint I've heard from some devs I've talked to is that they say that no matter what they do, their code never gets accepted, so why bother trying? I have a diff, for example, written by Aza77, that will keep players from logging in more than once per account at the same time. That's a HUGE patch for the emu, as we all know the problems multiple logins cause the LS. I asked if he was going to submit it... he replied (and I hope I'm not "outing him "here by saying his words for him but) why bother, they probably won't look at it anyway.

Just my two cents, which are probably worth even less, I know.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:36 PM
gernblan
Discordant

You're right about UO. I was thinking about first-person MMORPGs but you're right, UO was the first.

I have been tinkering with the code. Trying to learn it. It's amazing what I have found in there (quest objects, anyone?) that isn't well documented yet but is VERY useful.

I'm trying to get involved. I'm also trying to maintain and run, develop (and pay) for my own server... and have a life. it's hard. But I am trying.

I'm fortunate to have another loyal dev on board, named Patience, that is incredible with hacking things like doors, objects, items, etc. He even built a few custom zones we are working on still and have yet to release, but it's something.

My point was that there are so many devs on these forums that simply lurk now. I wish they'd boot up their IDE and get back into the spirit of things.

This emu is SO CLOSE. It just needs some polish and a few more things implemented and I think it would stand as a monument of open source emulators everywhere. In fact, I think it already does.

I wish that more devs would remain proud of what they have done here. I wish that for whatever reason, they didn't bail.

That's all I'm trying to say.
Jest 4 Server
Linux (Jest3 runs on Fedora, our Dev servers usually run on Ubuntu and/or Gentoo), OC-12 Connection = Hella Fast
Old 05-18-2007, 02:00 PM
Amra
Hill Giant

Actually it was Meridian 59
Old 05-18-2007, 06:59 PM
Demi-God

Amra got me :P

I think you see a lot of developers lurk because they just don't have time or can not take part in such a project anymore (Lots of game developer companies won't allow it). I agree the emulator isn't the cleanest code and is definately not commented as well as it should be, but we didn't do much design (absolutely none actually) work before developing the emulator and started out with over 15 developers working in conjunction. We started with a very basic code base and pretty much took it from there.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:21 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

I am still quite the fanboi of EQEmu. The fact that it does work (and, it does aside from latest/greatest fancies) is amazing to me still after playing with it almost a year. Add to that, the fact you can take the world/game we all loved so much, and tweak it to become your own custom concept is even better.

I may not be able to give myself 1200AA and utilize guild tribute (yawn), but I can death touch Quarm. What more is there to life?
Old 05-20-2007, 05:42 PM
smartmonkey777
Fire Beetle

Thumbs down if you all can polish PoP ill be happy for shure !

ill be extatic if the devs can get pop and every thing below that perfect thats the main stuff i remeber although natimbi was a fun zone for my ranjah to solo. past that i keep my database on my external hd mainly for insparation and nostalgia purposes .
if you devs are still gung ho to keep up with eq emu finish up the titanium disk then call it a day .. i honestly havent seen the raid zones in oow i wouldent mind seeing that stuff..

just to add the eq emulator project and trying to get my own server running has tought me alot.. i now know the basics of perl and my sql and will only get better .. and i learned by stumbling and fumbling .. ruining alot of good items in my sql db and making a few quests broken ..LOL

i tip my hat to this site and its devs and mods for doing such a tremendous project .. and helping me learn some coding .. i only wish i wasent such a poor bastard or i would donate cash to keep this up ..

im also highly interested in emulators for eq2 WoW and V;Soh if you have info on these projects please please im me with the goodz : )

---------------------------------------------------------------------
gm of my own eqemu server for my freinds
70 high elf enchanter (fennin ro) eq1 retired pve
70 haffling epic ranger (fennin ro ) eq1 retired pve
70 high elf epic cleric (fennin ro) eq1 2nd box retired pve
70 high efl templar (crushbone ) eq2 retired pve
70 barbarian berzerker (crushbone) 2nd box retired pve
60 night elf preist (doomhammer) retired pve
8 ranger guildwars beta pve dead lol
hopefully soon VANGUARD;soh
Old 05-21-2007, 09:49 AM
mamba666
Sarnak

Sierra online was the first MMORP I ever came across with the original neverwinter nights that flopped quite badly very close behind that. These were the first graphical MMORP that I knew of. there were MUDS before that.

Just my 2 cents.

The sierra online one was pretty fun for its time. The graphics were just barely a cut above color ASCII.

I am quite impressed with EQEMu. It is really damn close compared to 2 years ago when the entire zone would agro on you through the walls and such. The line of sight agro is amazing. it really works quite well.

It is truly fun to play now, so inmy opinion its really just starting to take off as far as actually playing, being in guilds having real raids with real content etc.

heck I just implemented my first scripted mini raid event and I am really happy with what is possible with the emulator as it stands. I see a lot of cool things happening still.