Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:02 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by image View Post
Lol for the hate for older clients, the trilogy client is not compatible with the new netcode anyway, any sort of support for trilogy would require a lot of modification.

Sounds like there are a lot of conflicting interests in this post anyhow I don't see much agreement.
Someone said to use the TakProject net code. I thought they used the Trilogy client, it may have been EqClassic that was using it.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:00 PM
mgellan
Sarnak

Quote:
Lol for the hate for older clients, the trilogy client is not compatible with the new netcode anyway, any sort of support for trilogy would require a lot of modification.

Sounds like there are a lot of conflicting interests in this post anyhow I don't see much agreement.
Since Milestone 1 is Classic, no matter what you're using a newer client. I actually tried to get Classic working from my original CD and couldn't get it working in anything newer than Win98SE, and my attempts to set up a VM with 3D support under Win98SE failed, the oldest Windoze with the right drivers is XP which doesn't support the old DirectX. Although thinking about it it might work under WINE!

To me there's some solid justification in using Titanium, since it works in modern OSs, and will likely do so for some time. Also, as I understand it zones like Highpass are hard coded to be the revamped zones in newer clients so there's no way to get a classic HP unless you use an older client. Happy to be corrected on this!

Also with DBG recognizing/supporting P99, I feel a downloadable Titanium client seems the most likely scenario for getting a fully legal licensed version of EQ so the barrier to entry for EQEMU is substantially lowered.

Finally with Titanium, there's a lot less crap to disable!

Regards,
Mg
Old 10-08-2015, 03:02 PM
mgellan
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocating View Post
Someone said to use the TakProject net code. I thought they used the Trilogy client, it may have been EqClassic that was using it.
Tak uses the Mac Al'Kabor client, which is POP era AFAIK. -- Mg
Old 10-08-2015, 03:16 PM
provocating
Demi-God

I hear a lot of complaints with desync's, people like not liking the lack of scrolling, etc. Just saying.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:28 PM
Furniture
Hill Giant

The takp client is fine. I box regularly on my own server with it and never had a desynch. Literally the only annoyance is not being able to mouse wheel back to 3rd person from first person. Your options are to either spend hundreds of hours learning and working to make an eqemu server classic, or to just play on the high quality, very polished Takp source code and db and deal with the first person view.

I'm just suggesting this because ive been here before. I've spent countless hours making eqemu source and database classic before takproject came out and imo it's just not worth it. I'd really recommend giving it a try because it's exactly what your looking for.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:31 PM
mgellan
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocating View Post
I hear a lot of complaints with desync's, people like not liking the lack of scrolling, etc. Just saying.
Well considering I've put thousands of hours on Titanium on P99, it seems fairly solid. Yeah there's desyncs when you get a stupid number of people all in one zone, not sure thats anything but one of those tradeoffs you have to live with. The HighPass issue to me is what makes it mandatory. Plus of course it's been demonstrated by P99 that you can get some decent results with the client.

No sure what lack of scrolling means, mouse scroll wheel works?

Regards,
Mg
Old 10-08-2015, 03:33 PM
Furniture
Hill Giant

Desynching is a server issue btw, it doesn't have anything to do with how good a client is
Old 10-08-2015, 03:34 PM
Furniture
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgellan View Post
Well considering I've put thousands of hours on Titanium on P99, it seems fairly solid. Yeah there's desyncs when you get a stupid number of people all in one zone, not sure thats anything but one of those tradeoffs you have to live with. The HighPass issue to me is what makes it mandatory. Plus of course it's been demonstrated by P99 that you can get some decent results with the client.

Regards,
Mg
Your confusing the p99 titanium client with the takp Pop client.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:48 PM
mgellan
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
Your confusing the p99 titanium client with the takp Pop client.
Ah ok. What annoyed me most was the Alt key would be sticky when I flipped between boxed clients, so I'd have to hit it once each time I switched. Pretty annoying.

Regards,
Mg
Old 10-08-2015, 06:07 PM
Demi-God

Quote:
Since Milestone 1 is Classic, no matter what you're using a newer client. I actually tried to get Classic working from my original CD and couldn't get it working in anything newer than Win98SE, and my attempts to set up a VM with 3D support under Win98SE failed, the oldest Windoze with the right drivers is XP which doesn't support the old DirectX. Although thinking about it it might work under WINE!

To me there's some solid justification in using Titanium, since it works in modern OSs, and will likely do so for some time. Also, as I understand it zones like Highpass are hard coded to be the revamped zones in newer clients so there's no way to get a classic HP unless you use an older client. Happy to be corrected on this!

Also with DBG recognizing/supporting P99, I feel a downloadable Titanium client seems the most likely scenario for getting a fully legal licensed version of EQ so the barrier to entry for EQEMU is substantially lowered.

Finally with Titanium, there's a lot less crap to disable!

Regards,
Mg
The original disc client won't work but trilogy does. Titanium still requires modification to revert some model changes made over the years.

trilogy

versus titanium

Taken on windows 7 by the way.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:34 PM
mgellan
Sarnak

Quote:
The original disc client won't work but trilogy does. Titanium still requires modification to revert some model changes made over the years.
I haven't had a Trilogy set for years, but they're super cheap on eBay so I ordered one to play with, thanks! Even less crap to disable! -- Mg
Old 10-09-2015, 12:42 PM
Demi-God

Quote:
I haven't had a Trilogy set for years, but they're super cheap on eBay so I ordered one to play with, thanks! -- Mg
Cool, unfortunately I don't think there are many public code bases you will find that support trilogy at the moment.

This first one is based on the trilogy client:
https://github.com/erfg12/EQTrilogy-Old

This is based on the mac client, but the netcode base is what you want, the opcodes and structures would have to be corrected, this requires a lot of programming knowledge
https://github.com/EQMacEmu/Server/

I am working off of my own code base which is a customized version of eqemu base back in 2k11. Still have a ways to go before Trilogy is working (zone server) on my server alongside other clients.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:42 PM
tramtrist
Fire Beetle

Nevermind we posted at the same time and you answered the question
Old 10-09-2015, 12:46 PM
mgellan
Sarnak

Thanks man appreciate the pointers -- Mg
Old 10-09-2015, 12:51 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:

Regards,
Mg
I never said there were desync's with Titanium. I said there are desyncs with TakProject and whatever client they use.