Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:13 PM
EQpaladin
Fire Beetle

deleted and reinstalled it all, then followed the directions and still nothing. I hope it will fix itself like you proprosed
Old 05-29-2013, 07:22 PM
mchne
Fire Beetle

I've noticed that moestaverne.com is now resolving to the correct IP address you mentioned earlier, Akkadius, however I seem to be getting some older version of the site. The downloads section features a beta of 1.71 as the latest file, and 1.24 as the latest non-beta release.

Thoughts?
Old 05-29-2013, 07:27 PM
EQpaladin
Fire Beetle

lol still getting 404d on that site =\
Old 05-29-2013, 07:52 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

When you change your DNS you need to flush again.

It WILL pan itself out, eqemulator had DNS issue a long time ago whenever records were changed. There is a more graceful way to change DNS records but it had not been done this way unfortunately.

Whenever a DNS record is distributed to all the root DNS servers in the world, it has a specific time to live set by the owner of the domain, this needs time to die and propogate. For those not completely understanding of what DNS is, it is name to IP address translation that happens within milliseconds of trying to use domain names in browsers or other applications.

Example DNS101:

Code:
    moestaverne.com
    ----------------------------------------
    Record Name . . . . . : moestaverne.com
    Record Type . . . . . : 1
    Time To Live  . . . . : 21616
    Data Length . . . . . : 4
    Section . . . . . . . : Answer
    A (Host) Record . . . : 88.198.230.177
Here is my launcher working since I am pointing to the new address:

I know that setting your primary DNS to 64.90.65.2 should resolve to the new server as it is working for me. Otherwise you may be stuck waiting for a while, or bypassing the launcher for now.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:01 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

I'm using the Google public DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and it resolves properly for me. Keep in mind that ipconfig /flushdns doesn't generally affect any caching you router might be doing, so you may also have to reboot it to force it to flush as well.

Another alternative is adding the address to your hosts file until it propagates to whatever your DNS server is.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:20 PM
EQpaladin
Fire Beetle

wow i dont understand any of this i tried following the directions but i get more confused, i have no idea how to "flush" the dns or even setup the ip configuration properly. /sigh so typical for me guess i'll try again in a month and hope for the best.

incredibly lame
Old 05-29-2013, 08:26 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst2112 View Post
I'm using the Google public DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and it resolves properly for me. Keep in mind that ipconfig /flushdns doesn't generally affect any caching you router might be doing, so you may also have to reboot it to force it to flush as well.

Another alternative is adding the address to your hosts file until it propagates to whatever your DNS server is.
Used nslookup an hour ago and it was resolving to the old address on 8.8.8.8.

A router reboot doesn't hurt, however if you are setting a static DNS primary you are not taking the DHCP option of using your router as your DNS server to even get served the cached requests to begin with.

Code:
C:\Users\cmiles>nslookup moestaverne.com 8.8.8.8
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    moestaverne.com
Addresses:  2001:8d8:1000:b007:74e6:9b1f:1a86:9

C:\Users\cmiles>

C:\Users\cmiles>ping moestaverne.com

Pinging moestaverne.com [88.198.230.177] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 88.198.230.177: bytes=32 time=127ms TTL=52
Old 05-29-2013, 08:44 PM
EQpaladin
Fire Beetle

what does Subnet mask mean? and what should i enter because it wont let me use an IP without using a subnet mask whatever that is....
Old 05-29-2013, 08:56 PM
EQpaladin
Fire Beetle

Well i did the flush in the cmd.exe thing and rebooted that did not work, still trying to figure out how this ip stuff works judging by the population i must be the only one left with the issue so hopefully i can find something to help me fix this
Old 05-29-2013, 09:18 PM
EQpaladin
Fire Beetle

Ok one last question, will this ever fix itself or am i just shit out of luck simply because i dont understand how to do all this dns bullshit?

Appreciate all the help anyways even tho im unable to do anyhting right it would seem.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:22 PM
00Mowgli
Fire Beetle

From my understanding he's telling you this is absolutely something that will work it's self out, just give it a little time, it's just a matter of a bunch of servers updating to the most recent address
Old 05-29-2013, 09:32 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQpaladin View Post
Ok one last question, will this ever fix itself or am i just shit out of luck simply because i dont understand how to do all this dns bullshit?
Yes, it will eventually fix itself, probably in a few hours.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:03 PM
EQpaladin
Fire Beetle

Well thanks to all the references you guys were throwing out there i watched a youtube video on dns i was able to see exactly what you guys were talking about haha, and thanks to the instructions i now have it running >.<

thanks again, learn something new every day hahaha
Old 05-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQpaladin View Post

Appreciate all the help anyways even tho im unable to do anyhting right it would seem.
hahahaha this one made me laugh, glad you got it working
Old 05-30-2013, 12:17 AM
Rumzuck
Fire Beetle

i am sorry guys for this downtime...
moestaverne.com is hosted on a 1and1 server.. i recently moved it to hetzner.de and the server is working like a charm, i love it...
i moved the domain moestaverne.com to the new server and everything was running smooth..
the domain is still in the 1and1 contract, but pointing to the new server..
but 1and1 fucked it up, and routed it to somethin complete different, a server IP i dont even know... 1and1 is just so retarded..
my brother fixed this problem right when it occured.. the problem with DNS is, it may take some time for all dns servers to update...

i really dont know whats going on with 1und1 and how they even can keep ANY customers at all with their shit... their servers suck, their support sucks, they randomly fuck up DNS and point to a complete wrong ip.. i mean wth... im so happy when im TOTALY rid of those incompetent idiots...

im sorry for all the downtime..