Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:20 AM
liquest
"Special" Member

Well what do you guys think in your own opinion will you be returning as a free player?

Liquest Auctions, WTB AA's up to the current compatable clients PST with offer.

"A casual stroll through a lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." ~Fredrick Nietzsche

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.." ~Albert Einstein
Old 01-31-2012, 02:02 AM
Noport
Opcode Ninja

I wonder how that would work I have 4 accounts the main account has higher lvl players started back in 2002. I'll have to look into that more.
I could talk to my guild again let them known how i'm doing. This might shed more light on Hot as i have it enabled on eqemu. This would make
it better for everyone to get there client updates just an idea.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:39 AM
Speedz
Hill Giant

Speaking of client updates, with this free model I doubt any bundle releases will be sold that Emu can advance on. With patches constantly etc... this could hamper our progression to "keep up" or add new content past the last client compatibility.

That is the idea that kinda sucks but hey it would allow more packet collecting and better refinement of what we actually have. I for one may look into collecting what is needed. Thats about the only reason I would go on live.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:41 AM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedz View Post
Speaking of client updates, with this free model I doubt any bundle releases will be sold that Emu can advance on. With patches constantly etc... this could hamper our progression to "keep up" or add new content past the last client compatibility.
I think it may be the opposite. They haven't yet updated Steam to include a VoA expansion purchase or a new download. When EQ2 went F2P, they put up the new download stuff on Steam right away and you can see them here:

http://store.steampowered.com/search...term=everquest

I don't know if they actually updated the EQ2 client download on Steam at that time, but it is possible. Once EQ1 makes the switch to FTP, I am hoping to see it available that way on Steam and maybe they have just been waiting to do their updates until the F2P change happens. At least we can hope that is the case :P

I also agree with what Lillu said about EQEmu or EQLive losing players to one another. There are many players on EQEmu that probably spend more playing on the EQEmu server they are on than it would cost them to have a subscription to Live for a long time. People are willing to pay for something they enjoy and find worth their money. Many EQEmu players are just the more casual type that don't have the endless amounts of time to play that it takes to make good progress on Live. Though, some are big boxers that might be interested in playing live if they could get away with using MQ2 there to control a crapload of characters. If any servers were going to lose players to EQLive F2P, it would probably be a small amount of the Live-Like servers such as PEQ. Though, most PEQ players have well established characters and probably would not want to start over again. I think most custom servers on EQEmu would be pretty unlikely to lose players. I suggested on the SOE forums years ago that they should allow custom servers that are run by players, as I think that would have a huge impact on their player numbers, but I am sure they think it would be impossible to properly implement a system that would allow that.

Last edited by trevius; 01-31-2012 at 04:56 AM..
Old 01-31-2012, 05:43 AM
Speedz
Hill Giant

Good to know. I wasn't a huge EQ2 fan. Dropped after the first huge nerf that killed my ranger. So my knowledge of that was null.

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
I think it may be the opposite. They haven't yet updated Steam to include a VoA expansion purchase or a new download. When EQ2 went F2P, they put up the new download stuff on Steam right away and you can see them here:

http://store.steampowered.com/search...term=everquest

I don't know if they actually updated the EQ2 client download on Steam at that time, but it is possible. Once EQ1 makes the switch to FTP, I am hoping to see it available that way on Steam and maybe they have just been waiting to do their updates until the F2P change happens. At least we can hope that is the case :P
Old 01-31-2012, 11:09 AM
BrandeX
Sarnak

Quote:
I don't see WoW going to a free-play model?
They have had one for several months now.
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Wor...lay-33227.html
Old 01-31-2012, 02:42 PM
Noport
Opcode Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedz View Post
Speaking of client updates, with this free model I doubt any bundle releases will be sold that Emu can advance on.

That is the idea that kinda sucks but hey it would allow more packet collecting and better refinement of what we actually have. I for one may look into collecting what is needed. Thats about the only reason I would go on live.
They are giving you upto Hot client for Free. They said if you wanted VoA you'll have to buy it. So we'll have to sit back and watch what happends too Steam.

Feq:
All three membership levels give you the House of Thule expansion and access to nearly 13 years' worth of gameplay and diverse zones. The latest expansion, Veil of Alaris, is also available for purchase and will grant you full access to all the features and content of that expansion

Accounts
2. I don't play EverQuest or any SOE games, but I do have a Station account. Can I try EverQuest using my old Station account info?
Yes you can! Click here http://launch.soe.com/everquest/ to download the game now.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:44 PM
Banderas
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandeX View Post
They have had one for several months now.
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Wor...lay-33227.html
LOL touche! That will tell you how much WoW I play
Old 01-31-2012, 03:16 PM
501st
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noport View Post
They are giving you upto Hot client for Free. They said if you wanted VoA you'll have to buy it. So we'll have to sit back and watch what happends too Steam.
What they give you access to doesn't matter client side. Expansions and their content are locked via flags that are assigned to your account when you buy an expansion and redeem the code. The CLIENT will have all the way up through Veil of Alaris as well as any new expansions/patches regardless what subscription type you have, however. You won't be able to access them on Live, but you would on EQEmu...

As for Steam, you're right. As Trev said, Valve promoted EQ2 when they went F2P and dumped client updates. Anyone who uses Steam a lot may want to keep an eye out around March to see if SoE/Valve does the same for EQ1. It may mean a client update which MAY mean VoA on EQEmu.

-Danyelle/Miku
Old 01-31-2012, 05:06 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banderas View Post
LOL touche! That will tell you how much WoW I play
To be fair, your access to the game is severely restricted on the WoW trial. You're capped at level 20.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:23 PM
501st
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst2112 View Post
To be fair, your access to the game is severely restricted on the WoW trial. You're capped at level 20.
You may not be capped that low on EQ F2P but a level 90 with 250 AAs is...well...bad. 250 is passable at 60, maybe 65. Even by 70 you should have at least ~400. At 90? HAHA. They may as well be capping you at 20
Old 01-31-2012, 06:29 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501st View Post
You may not be capped that low on EQ F2P but a level 90 with 250 AAs is...well...bad. 250 is passable at 60, maybe 65. Even by 70 you should have at least ~400. At 90? HAHA. They may as well be capping you at 20
Not to turn this into a which F2P is better debate, but there's a whole lot more game you can see in EQ with the F2P restrictions. I played for years up to the GoD expansion, and all of my toons are below the restrictions with the exception of bag slots and perhaps PP on one toon.

Admittedly it is a different game now than when I played on live, but I think there's far more to see and do to allow you to decide if you like the game in the EQ F2P model.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:58 PM
501st
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst2112 View Post
Not to turn this into a which F2P is better debate, but there's a whole lot more game you can see in EQ with the F2P restrictions. I played for years up to the GoD expansion, and all of my toons are below the restrictions with the exception of bag slots and perhaps PP on one toon.

Admittedly it is a different game now than when I played on live, but I think there's far more to see and do to allow you to decide if you like the game in the EQ F2P model.
Oh I'm not debating that in the least, I agree. I'm just saying they're keeping you locked out of more than what is displayed on their F2P page. Indirectly of course. Modern EQ relies heavily upon AAs for example. Both statistically and, by association, when dealing with other people. At level 90 with 250 AAs you will find xp zones difficult to play through. Many groups, and ESPECIALLY guilds, will shun you due to low AA count (many guilds have a minimum AA requirement. A lot of experience groups are picking up on this as well. Elitism at work.). This essentially keeps you locked out of zones that technically you should be able to access. Makes some quests impossible to complete, items impossible to obtain. etc

It's really just a clever way to lure people back to Live, rehook them, then force them to pay. Though I doubt any of that was ever in question lol. Ironically if anything this will be more beneficial to Emu players than it is to those that still play Live. For one, people can go buy Underfoot from Steam and no longer have to worry about how to fix the missing files. Just set up a free account, patch a copy of your client to Live, and drag and drop files. No issues with legality or file distribution. Not to mention the possibility of Steam promoting this and updating the clients which can result in a VoA client for EQEmu (Which those that already bought SoD/UF could likely get for free) which opens up stuff like player housing etc for custom servers to fiddle with once it's coded in.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:21 AM
Dinggo
Sarnak

I totally worded that wrong and didnt get the right point across that I was trying to make, but hey some of you took what I said and trampled me like a fallen jockey at the derby.

So to clear it up, what i was trying to point out was that it makes sense for SOE to move EQ1 to the f2p model now because it is the direction the company is going in, with ALL of its products, past, present and future. Keeping one buisness model makes alot more sense in the overall scheme of things.

EQ1 is doing just fine for subscriptions. It has paid for itself (and the development of just about everything SOE/SCEA has done in the past 13 years (Playstation 1 Developement was soley funded by EQ profits as stated in the 10 year EQ anniverssary book)) many, many times over. It was never in danger of closing down in the near, or far future.

The best line from FanFaire two years ago was the DEV's response to how long does EQ have left. The DEV said, "Its not a question of how long will Everquest last, but a question of which one of you're kids will be working on the game as a deveolper in the future." That pretty much nailed SOE's commitment to keeping EQ1 going as long as it can.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:34 AM
Dinggo
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501st View Post
Just to help make the point that 250 or even 1000 AA is ridiculously low for ANY character in EQ1. Combat Agility and Combat Stability is a 100% must have for Warriors, I wouldnt even consider taking a warrior to VoA or even the 1-2 expansions before that with less then max in just those to AA lines ... at lvl 95 CA and CS are 683 AA's maxed out ... for just 2 of AA lines, 2 of like 30 minimum required lines for a tank in EQ1 today.