Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:36 PM
Froggyballs
Fire Beetle

Default Login Server unavailable

"A connection to the server could not be reached."
Have done a ground up reboot of the network, flushed DNS. No change.
Tracert to login.eqemulator.net times out after 144.121.29.122.lightower.net

This has been persistent for a few days, happened simultaneously from different installs and computers.
Old 05-22-2021, 01:34 PM
Froggyballs
Fire Beetle

I've wiped and reconfigured my router, and still neither install will connect to the login server. I connected one of the machines via a different internet connection(same ISP), and it works fine, so I know it's not the PC. Wireshark shows activity going back and forth on UDP 5998 with 160.70.227.52 so there should be no issue in NAT....
Old 08-08-2021, 07:08 PM
x320
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggyballs View Post
I've wiped and reconfigured my router, and still neither install will connect to the login server. I connected one of the machines via a different internet connection(same ISP), and it works fine, so I know it's not the PC. Wireshark shows activity going back and forth on UDP 5998 with 160.70.227.52 so there should be no issue in NAT....
(((im going through the forum one by one messaging people who also couldnt log in, in case you had the same issue i did)))

i was following all the correct installation instructions, and i couldnt get past the login screen either! my account was good, my installation was good, and so was my port/firewall, so i didnt know why i couldnt log in.

as a last ditch effort, i installed the patch from project 1999 too and launched from their titanium shortcut in the EQ folder. success! i could log in, and then i could select any server to play from!

here is the guide and the patch link (tho idk if the patch zip dl link will work from here)
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=2651
https://www.project1999.com/files/P99Files54.zip

good luck!
Old 08-09-2021, 12:00 AM
Huppy
Demi-God

Those patch files have nothing to do with the public login server. They are specific to P99 server ONLY. That public login server welcomes all Emu supported clients. (Titanium through to RoF2). I just logged on to server select screen, with a clean Titanium client, then an RoF2 client, no problem.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:25 AM
Froggyballs
Fire Beetle

Unfortunately since the install works from another internet connection, I know it's neither patch nor install related. At this point I'm assuming it's something in my ISP's configuration but haven't taken the time to make the umteen million calls to Tech Support to try to resolve it.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:33 AM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
At this point I'm assuming it's something in my ISP's configuration
I'm assuming two basic troubleshooting steps have been taken, before you rip your hair out with the ISP

1. Did you try to connect with the router/modem at default settings (without custom configuration) ?
2. Did you try and DMZ the router. (shuts the firewall off and opens all ports) ?

If it doesn't work in DMZ mode then definately an ISP problem, since you can get through with someone else's connection. If it does work with DMZ enabled, then it's a port configuration problem.

I'm also curious (froggyballs) - your profile indicates you've been around since 2010 ? Your problem just started now ?

For anyone else, reading this thread - Reminder:
Titanium/SoF clients use: Host=login.eqemulator.net:5998
All other clients up to RoF2 use: Host=login.eqemulator.net:5999
Old 08-18-2021, 01:17 PM
Demi-God

Simply put use a VPN that should resolve the issue. You can even piggyback on someone elses box if they setup a VPN for you.

Just as a general note, years back when I was hosting pvp servers I discovered some ISP's blocking certain UDP ports, one common culprit I found was verizon FIOS blocking UDP port 7070 (however seemed to be against users in NJ, having FIOS in MA didn't impact you).
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:45 AM
Froggyballs
Fire Beetle

Yes I did troubleshoot fully, as documented in the first 2 posts

1. I went all out, disconnected all devices, factory reset the modem/router and then tried to connect off a fresh configuration. Then with DMZ. That's when I tried a different connections(same ISP just next door).

Yeah the problem just popped up around April, so I'm pretty perplexed about the why.
What's truly maddening is I can see ping pong traffic with the server via wireshark when I try to connect, so it's not just a filtered port.

Winter will be here soon, and I'll spend a day with the ISP(Consolidated Communications) and see if we can resolve it.

-- Gecro the sad Necro
Old 09-04-2021, 10:13 AM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
I connected one of the machines via a different internet connection(same ISP), and it works fine
Ya, sounds like it must be some issue directly involving that ISP and you, since you indicated, it works fine with the same ISP on someone else's connection. Where i live, if the ISP is intentionally blocking some port, they do it for everyone's connection, not just a random customer.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:03 AM
Froggyballs
Fire Beetle

I guess I'm retired from EQEmu, the ISP won't assist me, keeps trying to transfer me to "Premium Tech Support", which is a paid service to get help with Router configuration. They refuse to enter any kind of service ticket and are just stone walling me. Unfortunately there is no other ISP I can switch to.

Either SoD or P99 can open a UDP(grabs a random port) to 160.72.227.52 and I see a return from them via 5999 or 5998 respectively to the selected port. This happens 6 times then I see a time out from the client. If i bypass the EQEmu server, I can connect to SoD.

Thank for the good times : Gecro
Old 09-25-2021, 10:57 AM
fryguy
Sarnak

Try a vpn, that helps many people with bad isp and isp routes