Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:32 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Default One more model question

I think this will be the last one, if anyone knows an answer. What I am trying to accomplish is make the Ghost Ship appear in Butcherblock. I have talked to Shendare and Uleat about this before, we almost got it working but it ended up messing up other zones. If I try to load the Ghost Ship in butcher_chr.txt I get a client crash when zoning in. Shendare suggested added this to the GlobalLoad.txt

4,0,TFFFC,oot_chr,Loading Characters

Which did work, yes I had the Ghost Ship in butcherblock, it was global now. But here is where the issue came into play. The Ghost Ship is model 72, so are ships like the Icebreaker in Iceclad Ocean. The Icebreaker turned into the ship you would see in Butcherblock, but of course with a lower Z Axis. So that was an issue, players could no longer take the boat. I had to reverse that change.

I have tried several different ways to possibly override this or change the order but have yet to figure it out. When opening up iceclad_chr I found the model for that ship to be GNS_DMSPRITEDEF, that is the normal Icebreaker. Is there a way to make all of this work together without stepping on each other?
Old 02-07-2016, 02:34 AM
Zaela_S
Hill Giant

Editing datafiles. Either...

a) Cannibalize a (s3d-based) race you don't care about and modify the ship's ACTORDEF string in oot_chr.wld to use the 3-letter id for that race instead, effectively remapping the ship's race id.

b) Rip the fragment data and textures for the ship out of oot_chr.s3d/wld and into butcher_chr.s3d/wld. The wld fragment data is a bit tricky since you'd need to correct a bunch of internal pointers.

c) Rip the fragment data and textures for the ship out of oot_chr.s3d/wld and into their own stand-alone s3d/wld, which you can then maybe reference in butcher_chr.txt without crashing (it's not clear why some things crash for one method and/or zone but not another...). I think I had a crappy utility that did something like this..? S3D Model Extracter I don't remember how it works and wine doesn't seem to like it so I haven't re-tested it.

d) As with a), but convert the ship's model data to one of the eqg formats and cannibalize an eqg-based race instead of an s3d-based one.

None are great solutions unless you have a patching system in place, preferably one that will allow you to execute a little fixup program on the client's end to avoid distributing data files themselves.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:31 AM
provocating
Demi-God

I would definitely like a clean solution. Sometimes simple is best, I just used the normal zones ship model (72) and edited the mobs pathing, which was quite an endeavor, because there was a ton of them.