Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Tools

Development::Tools 3rd Party Tools for EQEMu (DB management tools, front ends, etc...)

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 02:15 PM
cole89103
Banned

Default Windows Gui for EQEMU RELEASE

This is a GUI (Graphical User Interface) For the eqemulator, its features include the following
  • Starting and Stopping EQEMU Uses start.bat file to start the server (must be in eqemu directory for this to work)((WINDOWS USERS ONLY))
  • Server Console GUI (Graphical Telnet Client tailor made for EQEMU Server)
  • Server Variables Editor
  • Server Rules Editor
  • Server Petitions Viewer/Editor

To Install Extract all files in archive into your main eqemu directory and edit the config file to match your server settings (for Console gui username and password MUST have status 200 or above and have a md5 password setup in the account table)

**!!~ NOTE ~!!**
This is released in BINARY form only Sources will never be released so please do not ask for then I have many reasons for not releasing them. This software is written in C#.NET and Requires .NET framework 2.0 or better

Last edited by KLS; 05-08-2008 at 11:41 AM..
Old 05-06-2008, 08:21 PM
trevius
Developer

Did you post a link to the file, or is this post just to let people know about what you are working on? I know you had your previous posts on this that you asked to be deleted and it looks like they were. You released a very early version of the software and then pulled the file shortly after. Though, I don't personally think that deleting posts is a good idea on these forums. I think if anything, they should only be moved somewhere else instead of deleted.

I am going to post in this thread what I posted in the last one. But, first I want to say that I do appreciate any and all tools and information to help the community. Your tool sounds like a nice start to something that could be very useful.

I just want to clarify about using tools or any software that is closed source. There is absolutely no guarantee that the files are not malicious and could potentially be used to cause harm to your PC and/or database. Anyone using files that are closed source and haven't been verified by a trusted developer to be clean and hack free should know that they are "use at your own risk". I think it especially important to beware when you are entering your database username and password in the program's config file. This one apparently also needs to be configured with your username and password for a GM impossible account that has access to your server if I am reading that correctly. It would be very easy for that information to be forwarded to somewhere else so that person could use as they please.

Let me be clear on this; I am NOT saying that I think this software is malicious and I would certainly hope that it isn't. I just want to make sure everyone is aware of certain possible risks even if the chances are very low. Many of us have put countless hours into our servers and I think everyone deserves to hear and understand this warning.

As I suggested in the last thread that was deleted, I suggest that you allow this source to at least be looked over by a dev that is willing to check it and have them post to verify it is safe. Of course, this means that someone will have to check and verify it every time there is an update. It can still be closed source and get verified by someone else.

Last, I apologize if this post is read as an attack. If the moderators think this is an unnecessary post, then feel comment on it. If this thread gets deleted again and then remade, I will post the warning again unless asked not to by a mod or dev. This time I am saving the post so that I don't have to write it all over again lol.

Again, I am all for helping the community and creating new tools for people to use. That is great stuff. I don't at all mean to upset the creator or to stop them from creating or updating their application. I just think it is only fair to give the warning I have given.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:22 PM
cole89103
Banned

there are plenty of tools that are not opensource i will not release mine EVER CAvedude has seen the source as has another member of the community who helped me create it but i will NOT RELEASE THE SOURCE STOP ASKING!!!

And i will not be updating or further supporting either tool that i posted people who have it use it and enjoy it already but i think everyone needs to realize that implying something is malicious simply because the developer of said software doesnt release the source is NOT going to change the fact that it REMAINS closed source if you want an open source version make it yourself simple as that. I will not put my copyrighted work out for anyone to rip off and THAT is final

http://shardsofnorrath.no-ip.org/EQEmuGui.zip

ONCE again!
THE SOURCE WILL NOT BE MADE PUBLIC UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES FOR ANY REASON EVER!!!
Old 05-06-2008, 11:43 PM
MNWatchdog
Hill Giant

I dont get why not release it AFTER your done developing it at least. Not like theres something top secret in it I assume. And how useful will it be if you stop updating it to the current state of the Emu and noone else can either?

Ive seen utilities come and then become more and more useless because it isnt being maintained and cant be without the source.

People come and go all the time and it seems like the wheel is constantly being recreated.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:56 PM
cole89103
Banned

I will NOT GIVE out MY copyrighted WORK simple as that nor will i support it for a coomunity that demands my work so they can use claim it as their own if you dont like that it is closed source DO NOT USE IT!!

STOP ASKING FOR THE SOURCE YOU WILL NOT I REPEATE NOT GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2008, 12:40 AM
moydock
Discordant

Damn man, take some midol or something.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:43 AM
cole89103
Banned

well i said it in the intial post i dont know what part of it people neglected to understand i thought i was quite clear not to ask for the source
Old 05-07-2008, 03:51 AM
trevius
Developer

Just to be absolutely clear, I could care less about the source. I don't want it, and I don't even want to see it. I never implied I did. I just wanted to give out the warning that anyone with the ability to code could easily slip something nasty in there. I am not saying you did, but what better way would there be to get unlimited access to people's databases than by making a simple tool and then handing it out as closed source?

If Cavedude saw the source and gives it the all clear, then that is all I was getting at. If he was to post and say that this is safe to use, then there wouldn't be much of a need to be concerned anymore.

I am sorry that you took my original post the wrong way. Let's try to keep it calm and friendly. If you aren't going to work on this tool anymore because of the closed source issues, then that is too bad. This community can always use extra tools and helpers.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:36 AM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

Anyone who writes software does not need to disclose the source. I think that's cole89103's choice. As a writer of software I also do not release source to everything I put out, but in my case, certain code cannot be released due to license restrictions, or just my preference.

Anyway, just enjoy the tools source or not

GeorgeS

http://www.georgestools.chrsschb.com//
Old 05-07-2008, 07:48 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

I don't understand why we chose this guy to wail on? I was worried about minilogin and the the Login Server when I first started here; What's to say that's not a big bomb waiting to explode in my PC?
And what about all the other stuff I have? most of it is not open source - something there could screw me too.
But at this point in life, I just make sure I have my bottle Vaseline with me at all times
Old 05-07-2008, 07:55 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

My name is cavedude and I approved of this message.

His code does exactly as described above, nothing more. Of course, I take no responsibility for bugs or other unforeseen errors.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:28 AM
cole89103
Banned

LMAO OMG thats funny thanks cavedude I needed that.

That said My choice to not support or update the tool was based on the implication that the software sniffed passwords or was in another way malicious i dont see all the other tool developers HAVING To submit their code to the developers of the emulator for "approval" And that is also the reason for my reaction to it.

So why did you choose me to whail on? I am currious here, if you show me 10 other tools that submitted their source to the devs for APPROVAL before they posted it ill shut up however that said i am certain i can name atleast one dev who didnt submit their source to anyone.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:43 AM
leslamarch
Discordant

I can say that i have been using this for weeks and all works well, This is another great tool to add to my list. everything we use could be a risk.
Thanks for the great tool!!
Old 05-07-2008, 10:54 AM
cole89103
Banned

yeah including the public loginserver which grants the admins of the ls gm access to the worldserver theres even a variable for it here

http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka...erverVariables

honorlsworldadmin

Lets see what tools are closed source

well the DRP editor by sesmar was closed source
simple client
minilogin
some of georges's tools
various other tools
peq server pack installer(installs the emu which is open source but sources the db and requires the root password to do it) ~NOTE~ just pointing out that there are people who dont release the source and dont get attacked like this for it or demanded that a dev approve their tool!

so why does MY source need to be approved or released? and why is my tool being targeted and basicly flat out called a password sniffer or other malicious software? personally i think i deserve an appology at the mere implication
Old 05-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Theeper
Discordant

Noone attacked you, or "wailed" on you. Trevius never said your software was malicious. In fact, he said ..

Quote:
Let me be clear on this; I am NOT saying that I think this software is malicious
You don't have to release your source if you don't want to and Trev doesn't have to use it if he doesn't want to. Let's not argue over petty things. There are plenty more important and productive things we could be doing.
Closed Thread