Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 04:36 AM
Bristlebane[nj]
Sarnak

Update: Thanks to Secrets, we will be using a dedicated host!
Thanks very much Secrets.

We will be building soon, forums will be released soon so I don't have to keep spamming up on EqEmu forums for updates...
Old 08-22-2009, 04:45 AM
Bristlebane[nj]
Sarnak

Well seeing as I can't modify / edit the last post..

I have made a forums till we get a real forum.

http://thedivideemu.proboards.com
Old 09-26-2009, 01:36 AM
Myaccountisbroken
Fire Beetle

Whats up with this server,is it still being worked on? There is no info on the forums and I have asked there if it's still going on,but haven't gotten any response..... kinda seems like you hyped it up and then just disappeared (which seems to be what you do everytime)which is why I specifically asked if you were going to pull that dissapearing crap again on this one,and you all assusred that you were going to keep this one going blah blah blah....
Old 09-28-2009, 03:33 AM
Myaccountisbroken
Fire Beetle

Ok for anyone that was looking forward to this Divide server,I couldn't get any info from their forum so this is what I have found out on my own... Secrets,who was supposedly coding this server is now deving for The Hidden Forest which means this server is FAIL and not even happening,they were just too good to let people that were waiting know it's over...thx guys.

Bristlebane[nj] is getting extremely good at comming here and hyping something up,starting a forum,and then just dissapearing.... Whats that about 6 times this year so far?? Should probably try a new forum name before you pull this crap again,as I doubt anyone will believe you after how many times in a row you have done this.I know I sure the hell won't.I even asked earlier in this post if you are going to just end the project out of the blue again like all the times you have before and you guys said no,you were going to keep this one going for a long time....
Old 09-28-2009, 04:07 AM
trevius
Developer

Please try to be nice. This is nothing new to EQEmu. Personally, I wouldn't even consider getting hyped about a server until it had been up at least 3 months straight and growing well with a good steady support team.

It is well known that many people come here posting grand ideas for servers and maybe even start developing or even opening them to the public, but that a large percentage of them don't last more than a couple of months. I think most of the time they may not have realized how much work they were getting themselves into. Either that, or they opened their server and didn't get the player-base they wanted right away and it made them lose interest. Or, maybe they thought their ideas would generate a team of talented and interested developers that would do most of the work for them.

Coming up with an idea for a unique and interesting server is one thing, but making it happen is a whole other deal. Creating content, managing player issues, maybe a small dev team, a website, and so on is a very time consuming thing to do. It takes quite a bit of patience, persistence, and devotion that not everyone is up to.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:22 AM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

Plus most people are doing it for free, and only being paid by the personal enjoyment of creating it themselves. You never know how prepared your GM staff is to take on the trials the server may bring up.

I had this happen recently too, I created a fast rate PvP EXP server and the population got bigger than I had ever anticipated. I ended getting stressed out, since I was the sole designer of the project and finding myself flooded with bugs I couldn't resolve, and had to take the project down.

It was a learning experience for me, one that I leave saying never take on a full project by yourself. Unless you have no life and know your stuff before hand! I upset quite a few people with this project, and I some what regret it, but my biggest regret was that I thought it would be easier than it really was, and said things that didn't fruit to reality.

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com
Old 09-28-2009, 04:11 PM
eqemuross
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Noir View Post
Plus most people are doing it for free, and only being paid by the personal enjoyment of creating it themselves. You never know how prepared your GM staff is to take on the trials the server may bring up.

I had this happen recently too, I created a fast rate PvP EXP server and the population got bigger than I had ever anticipated. I ended getting stressed out, since I was the sole designer of the project and finding myself flooded with bugs I couldn't resolve, and had to take the project down.

It was a learning experience for me, one that I leave saying never take on a full project by yourself. Unless you have no life and know your stuff before hand! I upset quite a few people with this project, and I some what regret it, but my biggest regret was that I thought it would be easier than it really was, and said things that didn't fruit to reality.
Shin = good people
-Vile
Old 09-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myaccountisbroken View Post
Ok for anyone that was looking forward to this Divide server,I couldn't get any info from their forum so this is what I have found out on my own... Secrets,who was supposedly coding this server is now deving for The Hidden Forest which means this server is FAIL and not even happening,they were just too good to let people that were waiting know it's over...thx guys.

Bristlebane[nj] is getting extremely good at comming here and hyping something up,starting a forum,and then just dissapearing.... Whats that about 6 times this year so far?? Should probably try a new forum name before you pull this crap again,as I doubt anyone will believe you after how many times in a row you have done this.I know I sure the hell won't.I even asked earlier in this post if you are going to just end the project out of the blue again like all the times you have before and you guys said no,you were going to keep this one going for a long time....
Seriously? You should know better that this community is flaky as hell. Bristlebane left us, so it's completely away from my control there.

You shouldn't get hyped up about a server, especially one you know nothing about. This happens way too often in EQEMu land, and it hurts me too, even though i've done it a ton of times.

Another thing is i'm not getting paid to do this. You arn't a paying customer, and you don't have any rights to ask for a refund, because you arn't getting your $0 back. That's my damn $0, and I want it to stay in my wallet. But in all honesty, i'm sick of people thinking they are self-entitled to one-on-one service and higher quality service than even EQLive. Because guess what: you're not. SOE doesn't even do one-on-one with people anymore, half of them are automated responses based on skimming over a report. And to expect that out of a FREE service? That's rude, and ultimately selfish and demanding.

So, please, can we agree on one thing that you even said yourself: Don't put faith into one server. Ever.

And sorry if I seem snappy, i'm a bit upset too.

Last edited by Secrets; 09-28-2009 at 06:47 PM..
Old 09-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

I would also think it would be a good idea to delete this topic since the server involved is defunct and it's going to turn into a flamefest.

Probably a good idea. :P
Old 09-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Speedz
Hill Giant

I agree and endorse this sentiment People stop being so selfish, you get your cake and eat it too here. Plenty of servers to choose from. If you don't like whats on the list MAKE one yourself. It does nothing for the moral of the server OPS for you people to demand of any of them.

What....you want the servers to ALL go byby? Keep it up and no one will want to put up with your crap in a free environment.

Keep up the good fight Secrets and all others planning servers, don't let em get to ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets View Post
Seriously? You should know better that this community is flaky as hell. Bristlebane left us, so it's completely away from my control there.

You shouldn't get hyped up about a server, especially one you know nothing about. This happens way too often in EQEMu land, and it hurts me too, even though i've done it a ton of times.

Another thing is i'm not getting paid to do this. You arn't a paying customer, and you don't have any rights to ask for a refund, because you arn't getting your $0 back. That's my damn $0, and I want it to stay in my wallet. But in all honesty, i'm sick of people thinking they are self-entitled to one-on-one service and higher quality service than even EQLive. Because guess what: you're not. SOE doesn't even do one-on-one with people anymore, half of them are automated responses based on skimming over a report. And to expect that out of a FREE service? That's rude, and ultimately selfish and demanding.

So, please, can we agree on one thing that you even said yourself: Don't put faith into one server. Ever.

And sorry if I seem snappy, i'm a bit upset too.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:00 PM
Tharkun
Hill Giant

i agree with secrets... this thread no longer serves to move the community forward, and should be locked/ deleted
Old 09-28-2009, 09:08 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

OK, locked.
Closed Thread