Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 05-11-2005, 09:25 AM
Rogean
Administrator

Default New Server Idea (PvP)

Ok, so I'v been thinking the last few days.. Came up with this idea. I took a lot of ideas from some of the different MMORPG's.

First, this is going to be a PvP Server. I'm not sure if I will name it Raid Addicts or not. Max Level will be 50. Here is how the PvP will cut down:

EQ2 Idea Aspect
First, to start off, only the continent of Antonica will be available. The two PvP Factions are going to be Qeynos and Freeport. The human race will be in a civil war. Players starting out may chose to align to either Qeynos or Freeport. They must make this decision before leaving the tutorial. I have not decided yet if certain races will be restricted to a certain faction (Ex, Trolls can only be Freeport, High Elves can only be Qeynos.) All other cities in antonica will be made into Exp/Raid Zones.

WoW Aspect
There will be three types of zones. "Qeynos Territory", "Freeport Territory", or "Contested Territory". While in a "Contested Territory" Zone, players may attack and be attacked by opposing faction players. For Factional Territory Zones, see below.

SWG TEF System
TEF Stands for "Temporary Enemy Flag", and here is how it will work. If you are a player in a zone that is territory of the opposing faction, you can not attack any opposing players, but you may be attacked by them. Once a player attacks an opposing faction player on the attacking player's territory, the attacker recieves a TEF. Once you receive a TEF, You can then be attacked by ANY opposing faction player on your own territory. TEF will last for 5 minutes from the last combat action you recieve/give, or until you zone.

EXAMPLE: Player A is a Qeynos Player. Player B is a Freeport Player. both players see eachother in a Qeynos Territory Zone. Player B MAY NOT Attack Player A. Player A Points and Laughs. Player A then decides to ATTACK Player B. Player A Receives a TEF, and may now be attacked by Player B. Player C Comes along (Freeport Player) and is able to help Player B.

Once you receive a TEF, It does not matter who you attacked to receive it, you may be Attacked by ANY Opposing Faction player in ANY zone.

LDoN Points
Yes, I know.. Rogean always has to use LDoN Points. I haven't finalized how I'm going to handle the LDON System yet, but heres my starting idea. I will be using the different catagories for different things. 1 May be PVE Points, recieved for killing mobs. a 2nd may be for killing Opposing NPC Factional Guards. A 3rd may be for killing Opposing Players in PvP. You will then be able to spend these points on items.

Name Coloring
I will be changing the way you see other players depending on their factional status. Here is how it will work:

Green: GM's/Guides
Purple: Friendly Players (Same Faction)
Blue: Opposing Players (Opposite Faction Non-Threat)
Red: Opposing Players (Opposite Faction Threat)

Name Colors will change if the status of their faction changes.

Example: Player A is Qeynos, Player B is Freeport. Both players are in a Qeynos Zone. Both Players see the other as Blue (Non-Threat Opposite Faction). Player B Knows that he can't attack Player A unless Player A has TEF, but player A can Attack Player B to Receive that TEF. If player A Decides to attack Player B, or any other Freeport Faction in a Qeynos Zone, Player A Receives TEF, and his name color will change to Red for All Freeport Players in the zone. Player A, Upon recieving TEF, Will then see all Freeport Players as Red.

Raid Addicts Feel
I will try to preserve the Raid Addicts feel the best I can. However, I'm going to try and keep this balanced, where a 15/25 weapon will actually be a level 50 UBER Weapon, so that casters will actually have a chance with their spells and not being resisted.

And, of course, Armor will be dropped in EXP Zones appropriate for the players hunting there. There will be different armor for each faction, dropping from their own territory exp zones. Hopefully this will offer a little individuality to the server. I don't think I will introduce dye's.

And of course there will be Raid Zones, but the high end zones will be Contested Territory, to add a little pvp fun to the mix

I'm looking for Suggestions and opinions. No Negative Opinions please (Ex "It will suck") Unless it is constructive and you can back it up.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:40 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

I find no obvious flaws with the server concept in general, but before you begin putting a lot of time and effort into it you might want to gauge the market a bit. We have one pvp server in full swing and another on the horizon (no pun intended ). Unlike PvE, servers dedicated to PvP have *got* to have at least a certain number of people online at most times of the day to be successful, and the PvP population may already be thinned out among the other 2 servers.
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Rogean
Administrator

Well it will take a couple of months to develop. Hopefully by then people will be ready to try something new =)

Last edited by Rogean; 05-11-2005 at 06:12 PM..
Old 05-11-2005, 10:11 AM
Belfedia
Demi-God

The problem with new server is'nt ideas
Your concept is excellent !!!
This is the Staff, 2 month of devs, 2 month of play, and close...
If this server come, i hope you choose good GM
http://eqfroggy.new.fr : Froggy French Server Website.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:21 AM
solid11
Discordant

Yep, sounds like a great idea. If the new live compatible emu gets out of testing soon, then maybe that will increase the player base since there are a ton waiting to get online. We can only hope.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:25 AM
Richardo
Banned

Good Ideas, although there are lots of people whom do not prefer PVP and perhaps you could build just a "pve" server that have certain zones that "Require" pvp such as Guild/Side instances/wars, etc but does not require all players to join in, so this way, those whom dont like PVP dont have to participate and those who do, can do so. You could add a reward system in this instances, etc... How ever you choose, this is just some insight of my ideas as you may have noticed, winters roar is extremely successful and they arn't a pvp, perhaps.. pvp has been used and unbalanced so much on eqemu that people are sick of it? I really wouldn't know, so here are my half A%%ed ideas.. Although I love your ideas and I will be stealing them all, muhahaha... Kidding :p <3
Old 05-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Rogean
Administrator

The only reason I concidered making a server at all is because I came up with this idea. If I am not comfortable with the idea I have in mind then I'm not gonna bother trying to make the server, and I happen to like this idea a lot.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:51 AM
mikeGreen
Fire Beetle

I think that would be a great server it would be way more grouping and friends then just run to places and solo. I like the two cities against each other like a war. If you do I will definitly be their playing non stop. And also the pvp would make it more fun if you are bored and wanna kill people lol , also the factions with territorys where you would acually have to sneak around the city, Would be lots of fun.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:22 PM
Rogean
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeGreen
I think that would be a great server it would be way more grouping and friends then just run to places and solo. I like the two cities against each other like a war. If you do I will definitly be their playing non stop. And also the pvp would make it more fun if you are bored and wanna kill people lol , also the factions with territorys where you would acually have to sneak around the city, Would be lots of fun.
Keep in mind that the main idea of the server is PvP, its not just an optional part that you can participate in.. It will be mandatory.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:37 PM
dark_one
Hill Giant

Default asd

you should have leaders of each group, player leaders or gm ones that would pwn..

and they can promote people to officers and such

(remember no flaming on the forums so you cant make fun of my idea)
Liscadipesce
Baron-Sprite
Khan
Skynet
Necromancer Guild

Member of "Free DarkOne from his solitude and deban him from IRC"

Old 05-11-2005, 02:39 PM
RangerDown
Demi-God

If there's no flaming on these forums then you need a new sig

I don't know if what you mean is realm-wide officers and such, but the guild system, of course, already has support for leaders and officers.
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:48 AM
KhaN
Dragon

Interesting ideas, if you figure how to change player tag color, i'd like to know how, because i was always told it was client side and couldnt set it manually via eqemu :(

Old 05-12-2005, 02:12 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

You have to tell the other players that the player whose tag is being changed is /roleplay (if you want it purple), GM (if you want it green), or PvP (if you want it red), or turn them off to have it blue.

Oh, and there's also this peach/orange color if they're both PvP *and* roleplay. Rog might want to keep that one in mind if he finds a use for it :P
Old 05-12-2005, 02:29 AM
Rogean
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaN
Interesting ideas, if you figure how to change player tag color, i'd like to know how, because i was always told it was client side and couldnt set it manually via eqemu :(
When a player zones in, I will modify the code that sends out the 'new player' to show that the new player is Roleplay, or PvP, and I'll need to set it to send the appropriate one depending on the faction between the new player and the player receiving the packet.

Then when a player changes status, Ex a Qeynos Player gets TEF, I will have it tell all the Freeport Players in the zone that that player now has a PvP Flag (Red Name).

I will play with it this weekend to see if I can get it working like this (To send out seperate packets), I'll let you know if I get it to work.. It should be possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_one
you should have leaders of each group, player leaders or gm ones that would pwn..

and they can promote people to officers and such

(remember no flaming on the forums so you cant make fun of my idea)
No. This will lead to favoritism.. Players will want so and so to be the leader, and then that leader will play favoritism to who is officers, etc... The Factional System will not be guild based like Richardo's server, and players will still be able to create their own guilds (However, guilds must be aligned to a faction and can only invite that faction players).

Last edited by Rogean; 05-12-2005 at 10:39 AM..
Old 05-12-2005, 05:16 AM
Rogean
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDown
Oh, and there's also this peach/orange color if they're both PvP *and* roleplay. Rog might want to keep that one in mind if he finds a use for it :P
Hmm.. I will have to check that out.. May come in handy for showing non-threat players that are able to attack you. (Players in Opposite Territory Zones)