Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:52 PM
techguy84
Discordant

Default New PDF Server Creation Guide

I finally got around and finished up the Server Setup part of my PDF guide. Im going ahead and getting it out here to you guys because of the minilogin issues some people are having.

Its not anywhere near complete to what I want it to be, but you get

Play Guide - For Emu only or Dual Installs for Emu and Live together
Server Setup for Windows with latest components
Minilogin Guide - For those wanting LAN Only

Its as detailed as my Wiki guide if not more. Stuff is better laid out in tables and things, but the biggest feature is SCREENSHOTS.

80+ to be exact. There is almost a screen shot for each step you take in the setup process for all three sections so now everyone that is setting up a server can reference them to see if they see what I see.

http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka...ka=ws992mysql5

If you have Adobe installed and click the link, it will just open up in a browser window.

As such, you will need Adobe Acrobat reader to view it. Click Here to get it.

Hope everyone enjoys this. I know I did.

Please note, the CVS address for PEQ is WRONG in this guide! See this post for the proper information: http://eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23536

Last edited by cavedude; 01-24-2008 at 06:05 PM..
Old 05-26-2007, 02:36 AM
kedra
Sarnak

Hah, I wish I'd had that when I was getting started!

Great job. That should prove to be very helpful.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:24 AM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

Very well written - Good job!

GeorgeS

http://www.georgestools.chrsschb.com//
Old 05-26-2007, 04:34 AM
jimbabwe
Hill Giant

Looks good.

Bugs/suggestions.
The image on page 12 overlaps some of your text in my Adobe pdf viewer(I believe the newest version for windows)

Possibly link the table of contents sections to their actual pages so you can just jump there.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:47 AM
techguy84
Discordant

I actually wrote the guide in Office 2007 and exported in PDF. I am looking to try and convert it to true pdf to help some of the issues from the conversion from *.doc

Dont know how to link the TOC to the rest of it, but sure once it is made to proper PDF, that option is there.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:56 AM
sfisque
Hill Giant

might want to try loading it up in OpenOffice. OO has an "export to PDF" option that i have found to be quite good.

== sfisque
Old 05-27-2007, 05:23 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

techguy84, You did real good! Great guide and very needed - I think I'll "sticky" this thread - hopefully others will get better help.
EDIT - I moved it to "general" support, because you hint towards other types of help in this guide.

Last edited by Angelox; 05-27-2007 at 01:26 PM..
Old 05-27-2007, 07:20 AM
techguy84
Discordant

Never used OO before, well, other than opening it up and looking at it. I am in love with the new design and feautre of Office 2007, although I feel like I am using some form of i(****) from apple, as it has that apple look to it. But its still super sleek and great to make formating changes. For example each section title is a simple click and click to give it the white lettering with blue background or to add the ones that have the lines below the text.

But, for this type of doc, the one and only solution is going to be Acrobat because lets face it, this truly is a Portable Document, not a resume or letter.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:53 AM
Kambic
Sarnak

Just wanted to say great doc, thanks.

And I love Office 2k7 also
Old 05-30-2007, 04:56 PM
techguy84
Discordant

Thanks everyone for the good feedback on this. I was getting 2 or 3 PM's a day with the old guide and minilogin support. I havent gotten any over the past couple days so I guess it must be pretty good. Gotta love screenies.

Anyhow, I just wanted to let people know that some things have come up and its kinda put the guide on hold for a little bit. It WILL be finished, at least a good portion of it, but I cant say when it might be done. I overshot my last ETA by a good 3 weeks so I have learned that I cant promise much if you all are interested in the rest to come.

Hope this dont upset anybody, as I just wanted to get whats up up to help with all the problems people were having.

I just know that I have been a member this time around for a month or so and I have already gotten roughly 130 PM's about troubleshooting so,,, um yea, I wanted to get it up.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:38 AM
Jablambo
Fire Beetle

Thank you Techguy! Wonderful job on this guide! A while back I tried using the guide off the site and had many problems during this process and never got it to work and gave up. I followed your guide 100% and I had no issues with anything whatsoever! Thanks again! You are a big help!
Old 07-03-2007, 06:05 AM
CrabClaw
Hill Giant

It's really fresh and a very classy guide Crabby likes.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:12 PM
techguy84
Discordant

Default Not So Good News..

I am pulling my guide down as of 10/27/07 for the simple reason that I am getting 10+ emails a day with really silly questions like...

Quote:
I try to source "load_system.sql" and it doesnt workz.. plzz help mezz thanks..
Or (My favorite)

Quote:
howz do i start this emu thing... i just want to play... can you make a video guide for this... its toooo complicated
I put the email in the guide for compentent people that had competent questions like

Quote:
Hey, thanks for the great guide, but ran into a small issue. When I start the server, it starts fine (attachs log files here) but my characters stick at logging in. Any ideas!
At which point I answer with things about port forwarding, firewalls, accounts field (for minilogin) ect....

That person followed the guide, got it working, but hit snags in things I really didnt cover, which is really the only flaw there in it. The setup, even with the newest realease of the emu, works 100% out of the gate. Even with SQL updates, if your following that guide, your going to download a DB that has those sql updates in them, like the never ending updating PEQ.

But if for some reason, you cant read slowly and type in

Code:
 cd\peqdb
when sourceing in that database, then you really should try to avoid the server setup side of things and just focus on playing...

I know this may be a bit not like me, as I like helping people, but enough stupid **** is enough. Hell, people dont even try to contact me here anymore through PM's. They just automatically jump to the damn email link at the top of the guide like its nothing.

READ THE BOARDS..... USE SEARCH........ USE COMMON SENSE

Anyhow though, the guide will remain down until I get the time to rewrite it, taking the email out, and clearing up a few things, which I'm not sure when that will be. Its just not simple to yank stuff out of a PDF if anyone has really ever tried, with the software I have anyhow. It breaks formating really bad.

Also, for those of you that downloaded the guide, I ask you of two favors..

1. Dont email me stupid questions. I will answer you regardless, but just understand that stupid ones get on my nerves really bad.

2. DONT POST IT ANYWHERE. I really dont want the carnage to continue cause someone says "Oh yea, I got the guide, here's the link, Ill host it." In the guide it says that it can only be hosted here and on my site. I wont go into details, but its not open source, so dont put it where it doesnt belong.

I will get it back to those of you that really enjoyed it and found ti usefull, and it will be better than it is now, to make up for me having to take it down.
I appricate everyones thanks with it, and I appriceate the question and problems you have been having, but silly questions are just that, silly questions.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:04 PM
number6
Sarnak

Put Mattmeck's email address on the document... problem solved...
Old 10-27-2007, 08:11 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

I think techguy's rubber band has finally snapped.