Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:34 AM
noudess
Discordant

Default Very small Progression-style server seeking a couple or 2 friends.

I started a progression style server a few months ago.

It is VERY basic. We started with Odus only and expanded out slowly. The goal is for original world only through at least the next 1-2 years. I'm obsessive about getting the zone the way I want it before opening it, and we're in no rush. So we seek a casual gamer style. Our highest char is 40 and past most of the content.

Our focus is just fun and role play.

We only have old school loot for the most part, but we'd made several modifications to things like the newbie quests which "enhance" old school drops as you go.

The server only has 4 players - a tight knot group of us from back in the early 2000s. And, as I say, we play casual.

I think a couple or two friends that like the older school game, would have fun playing on our server, if they just enjoy the old game. We seek a couple or two friends, as we can;'t provide much in terms of grouping. When the 4 of us are on, we solo alot, or duet. That's not to say you won't have chances to group up at all, just that we're living on our own little server and most nights we only have 1-2 hours, so we do our own thing. All 4 of us can be very helpful if the 2 of you need us for something, just give some notice.

There are a handful of tweaks, as I said, but the server is pretty basic.

- we use hell levels
- xp is substantially reduced from live
- we currently only have about 18 zones open
- best res on server is 50% atm.
- We have tied some PoK books to odd places to facilitate access to old school spell research items until the zones are accessable via normal avenues.
- We have a nexus zone - solely as a home for imported merchants until those zoned become available
- We're trying to stick with a feel from around 2002-2003. So some newer spells and such are not sold.
- The newbie quests yield something quite different than the armor :P
- sense heading and swimming , etc start at 0.

If you are a couple, or a couple of friends, who might like to spend some time on our server, drop me an email or a PM here. You'd have to get set up with Titanium and access our private login server. noudess@gmail.com.

I'd just like some more activity beyond our little crew - in chat and what not - and get feedback - but we want you to be self-sufficient for the most part - again - hence the idea of a couple.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:10 PM
sunbeam
Sarnak

So if you start with odus, what does that mean exactly?

Erudin, Toxx, Kerra Ridge, then maybe Qeynos?

Or do you have zones like SolA reachable somehow?

And are the quests (aside from whatever you were talking about with class armor) in the category like some doable (Testament of Vanear for example needs Highpass and N. Qeynos), and some not (like the ones for the cleric quellious symbol that needs you to go to faydwer or whatever).

Just think a little more info might help people consider it.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:34 PM
noudess
Discordant

Zones: Erudin, Erudin Palace, Erud's Crossing, Toxullia Forest, Kerra Ridge, Paineel, The Warrens, Stonebrunt Mountains (yes I know - not original) but fits nicely, A portion of Frozen Shadow (ties in with stonebrunt quest nicely), North and South Qeynos, Qeynos Catacombs, Qeynos Hills, North Karana (via nexus or port), Nexus (travel only and relocated merchants), and to aid in old school spell research, Misty Thicket and Nektulos (via stones).

The only doable quests are those that can be done in the zones provided. Newbie armor quests that require some outside drops (Black Burrow) for example have an alternate means until those zones open.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:11 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Have you considered joining a server that has done this already?
Old 12-17-2015, 10:35 AM
noudess
Discordant

I enjoy the work and I think some of what I've done is unique. I played on P1999 for years. We simply enjoy having our own server. If a couple people decided to join and enjoyed it, cool.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:46 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

I wasn't referring to p99 but there are many servers who aim for a classic-era feel with quality of life improvements.

I'm simply advocating for combining similar servers since populations have been shit lately haha.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:21 PM
Krran
Sarnak

Quote:
classic-era feel with quality of life improvements
I like this. EQ can really dig into life. Sometimes that's ok, but most of the time not so much.

Playing the latest live progressing server was disheartening, with some of the peoples attitudes, the competition, people locking down zones/quests, and some evil and corrupted things I won't mention. I left about four months after it opened for my sanity. I just copied my character on to my private server so i feel like I can keep him. He was a good smith.

Playing for fun is... much more fun.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:00 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krran View Post
QFT.

Everyone's idea of fun is different, but the goal is to enjoy it of course.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:34 PM
noudess
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krran View Post
I like this. EQ can really dig into life. Sometimes that's ok, but most of the time not so much.

Playing the latest live progressing server was disheartening, with some of the peoples attitudes, the competition, people locking down zones/quests, and some evil and corrupted things I won't mention. I left about four months after it opened for my sanity. I just copied my character on to my private server so i feel like I can keep him. He was a good smith.

Kinda why I hide on my private server with friends. Most people suck. I really enjoyed P1999, but once I got into the guild raiding world, each night of play just forced me to see what dicks so many people can be. There was some of that back in the day, but for the most part people worked together. It seems like now, there is so very few that play with courtesy.

I'll take my hand ful of zones, with a half dozen friends over that, for my own sanitu as well. But I long for a day when we can have 2000 people playing nice.. I guess that idea was left behind.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:28 PM
Thorpa
Fire Beetle

been getting the itch, to play traditional eq, once again.

I've played on a large list of servers and usually end up preferring the small-group-prog servers over all others. It seems like what i hated most about p99 is mutual here.

If I can gather the motivation to install a new partition and install a fresh titanium ill def roll a solo class and chat up with you folks here.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:36 PM
noudess
Discordant

Send me an e-mail if you get a partition setup and I'll give you an account and the address to point eqhosts.txt at.