Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:43 PM
MarcusD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
Perfection is impossible.

It's easy to drop any magelo generated loottable/lootdrop. There are quite a few of the above table entries that go unused which could be matched up with a bit of work.

It's also easy to drop all items outside of an expansion if those items are labelled with an expansion - like I have done for 60k+ items - so some of the magelo gen data dropping isn't necessary.

This is what I'm basically talking about. Getting the data proper in the database is huge as everyone has said. I've made some of it so simple a caveman can help!
I have not yet graduated to caveman level but I will be helping at some point lol. I need to learn more about databases...learning how to use Heidisql would probably help .
Old 10-10-2015, 03:48 PM
AdrianD
Discordant

Contact me bro!

It's in my selfish nature to assist people where I can so I can achieve my self-righteous goal of getting classic content?

Yeah, that's it...
Old 10-10-2015, 03:49 PM
MarcusD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocating View Post
Everything you need to know is here.

http://www.takproject.net/forums/index.php
struggling to find lol I have been there but couldn't find any downloads or whatnot.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:46 PM
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets View Post
It's a risk in humility but going through 'any lengths' to keep something open that someone requests remains closed from the beginning is not making something 'open source' - that's called stealing and is not part of the open source mantra.

EQEmulator is not a community where we leak the latest and greatest programmers in the communities' work. If you want that type of community, I recommend this website: www.ragezone.com
Lets be honest, we potentially stole EverQuest .. lol .. you know what I am talking about, lots of /zone 'ing in live with a little handy utility.

EQEmu is built more on the Cyberpunk mantra than 'just' open source.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:42 PM
Uleat
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by image
Lets be honest, we potentially stole EverQuest ..

If that's the case, then they were listening more to their marketers and not to their consumer base...

Compilin' Dirty
Old 10-10-2015, 09:50 PM
MarcusD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by image View Post
Lets be honest, we potentially stole EverQuest .. lol .. you know what I am talking about, lots of /zone 'ing in live with a little handy utility.

EQEmu is built more on the Cyberpunk mantra than 'just' open source.
<sarcasm>. I get the logic. Since we are using something from shrewd narcissist code hoarders we also should become shrewd code hoarding narcissists ourselves. Because only our project matters and how much we can monopolize the market. </sarcasm>

I can sense what happened. Someone got a little glimmer of paypal donation button gold in their eye. Not that accepting donations is bad, it is very good but once you get a glimpse of the end of the rainbow it can change the way you do things. We have to build for what is good and right and not stare too much at the donate button.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:34 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

So, I've been here for a little while, I see posts of all variations that very much resemble history repeating itself, one of which is the classic topic.

People will complain until the bitter end that P99 doesn't "share" their source/db and what have you, but to be completely honest, they aren't obligated to and they literally don't owe the community anything.

It is no different than said organization (not to confuse with business) of a few guys who dump their heart and soul into a project with insane amounts of time, they don't have to share their work because it is their fucking work, regardless of whether it resembles what "should" be available to the public.

While it is very encouraged to give back and a person/organization doesn't have to, P99 has definitely given back in more ways than people have a fucking clue about directly and indirectly and its the attitude that something is owed that pisses me off regardless of the intricacies of the drama that transpire around said server.

Circle back to my original point of repeating, every once in a while there are people who have stars in their eyes with enough fume to get a server up and half working and then realize how much work they are in for, and that if it really was that simple than everyone would be doing it. Running a project is not just throwing some content and source together, it becomes a whole other realm when you all of a sudden have many players to respond to and integrity of the project as a whole to maintain.

That being said, appreciate that there is EQEmu in its current form and that there is as much availability as there is and there is in my opinion, an incredibly healthy attitude about sharing and contribution amongst many. I feel obligated myself to continue to facilitate this as much as I can even though my days of playing with server content have been gone for quite some time. It's been about giving back to a community that gives people so much freedom and ability to express their own creativity and learn things they had no idea they'd even affiliate themselves to.

To conclude, if someone wants to head up a next-to classic project, organize it and run it with a healthy, non-spiting attitude that is of P99 I more than welcome it. However I must say, good luck.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:50 PM
Speedz
Hill Giant

TAKProject and EQMacEmu have seen many benefits from p99.
I fully agree with your sentiments Akka.
People tend to fly into the scene and do very little to investigate the history of something before making assumptions and flame wars.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:09 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedz View Post
TAKProject and EQMacEmu
The reason I say the same is that GiT for EQMacEmu points back to TakProject.

Aren't they the same? You also have to think that people like Haynor are involved in both projects. There is no way things are not implemented on both TakProject and P1999.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:20 PM
Speedz
Hill Giant

TAKProject hosts the EQMacEmu parent. But it is slightly different in it's own ways.
Even before Haynar's involvement we saw a number of advances in the project directly from p99.

Only Haynar can comment on what is a direct take from p99. which from my understanding is nothing past code he personally made.

EQMacEmu is what EQEmu is to all general servers. p99, PEQ, and any other server in the list.

TAKP and p2002 just are servers based off that code with their own twist.
In a public hosted server there will always need to be some form of closed source.
Be it experimental unstable code, or security bits.

Also not all coders want their code public. So there is that issue that needs to be accounted for as well.
No single dev owes anything beyond giving credit for another coder's work. I think that has gotten lost multiple times in threads like this.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:31 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Thank you for clearing that up Speedz
Old 10-11-2015, 09:13 PM
haynar
Developer

Yes, I dev on P99 and Takp. I have helped out on EQEmu a little too, but not much.

I have added several of things I did on p99 to takp. Nothing is a cut and paste anymore. There are many differences that make it basically so I have to re-develop things.

Nilbog and Rogean, with what they do on p99, was never the intention to have a server so populated. And there has been many thing that were necessary for that too. P99 was always about recreating the "classic" experience. If people wanted to play there, that's great too.

There are things I co-develop on both projects, like changes to the pathing systems. Those have diverged enough, they are still similar, but different.

There are things I have added to takp, that should be added to eqemu too. The original rotation code on p99 was done by Kanras, and for the life of me I struggled so hard to figure out exactly how it worked. And for the longest time I couldn't. But when learning how to decypher the movement delta's on takp, I figured out how the heading delta worked too. That let me do a new implementation of heading deltas, to allow mobs to rotate during certain movements.

Could I do more to contribute to the main EQEmu project? Sure, if I had time. I like to play this game too. I have gotten a whole one blue of exp, in the last 3 months. But I don't care.

If you want a "classic" server handed to you to work on? Get the PEQ db, start making changes. Work at it 30-40 hrs a week, for the next 2 years, with 2 or 3 other people, and tada, you will have it too.

Good luck. Happy coding.

And Go SLAY the DRAGON!!!!

Haynar
Old 10-11-2015, 09:22 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynar View Post

If you want a "classic" server handed to you to work on? Get the PEQ db, start making changes. Work at it 30-40 hrs a week, for the next 2 years, with 2 or 3 other people, and tada, you will have it too.

Haynar
And you can take that to the bank. It is a huge time-sink. I work a 40 hour a week job and spend 4~5 hours a night working on my own server. I manage to spend a small amount of time playing, but that dwindles more and more. Luckily this week the Mantis tickets slowed down so I got a bit more play time in.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:48 PM
MarcusD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynar View Post
Yes, I dev on P99 and Takp. I have helped out on EQEmu a little too, but not much.

I have added several of things I did on p99 to takp. Nothing is a cut and paste anymore. There are many differences that make it basically so I have to re-develop things.

Nilbog and Rogean, with what they do on p99, was never the intention to have a server so populated. And there has been many thing that were necessary for that too. P99 was always about recreating the "classic" experience. If people wanted to play there, that's great too.

There are things I co-develop on both projects, like changes to the pathing systems. Those have diverged enough, they are still similar, but different.

There are things I have added to takp, that should be added to eqemu too. The original rotation code on p99 was done by Kanras, and for the life of me I struggled so hard to figure out exactly how it worked. And for the longest time I couldn't. But when learning how to decypher the movement delta's on takp, I figured out how the heading delta worked too. That let me do a new implementation of heading deltas, to allow mobs to rotate during certain movements.

Could I do more to contribute to the main EQEmu project? Sure, if I had time. I like to play this game too. I have gotten a whole one blue of exp, in the last 3 months. But I don't care.

Good luck. Happy coding.

And Go SLAY the DRAGON!!!!

Haynar
So your saying that you guys feel like forcing everyone to spend 12,000 hours so they can start actually improving p99 database instead of reinventing the wheel? If p99 really only cared about the classic implementation and didn't care about having a monopoly of players then why would you place a 12,000 hr hurdle to others who have the same goal? Come on don't tell me it isn't about the coin.

In a free society anyone can do what they want but that doesn't stop me and people like me for calling people out on their BS.

I wonder if any of the p99 donators have ever asked for an audit to see where their money is ACTUALLY going . That would be interesting.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:54 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusD View Post
I wonder if any of the p99 donators have ever asked for an audit to see where their money is ACTUALLY going . That would be interesting.
No one is forcing their hand in donations. They contribute because they know how much the developers bust their asses, daily. No matter how you feel about p1999, they owe you nor me nothing. As I said before, if you want something bad enough then start working on it, like now.