Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Packetcollector

Support::Packetcollector Any PacketCollector related problems or questions should be posted here.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Derision
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedude View Post
Lastly, could you make it so that version also gets added to the WHERE statement? So if I select version 1, it would tack on "and version = 1" to the end of the query.
Oops, I forgot this request. I'll put this in tomorrow.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:57 PM
blackdragonsdg
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
What version of The Void did you use it in? It worked fine for me in Void A, B, & G.
It is the one when you zone in from PoTime...no idea which version it is.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:06 PM
blackdragonsdg
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derision View Post
If you are willing to email me one of the .pcap files that is causing the crash (DerisionEQ at gmail.com) I'll see what's causing the crash and fix it.
I just sent the file.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:17 PM
steve
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragonsdg View Post
It is the one when you zone in from PoTime...no idea which version it is.
If you do a /who on yourself, it will say in the zonename. Depending on how far along you are with SoD progression determines what version of the zone you get sent to. Void A is the default version with no progression completed.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:54 PM
steve
Discordant

Are you guys camping out to character select after getting to each zone? Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something unneeded. And will multiboxing confuse the capture?
Old 06-04-2010, 10:09 PM
robinreg
Sarnak

I just go to the zone that I want to do capture with. try to find a good spot preferebly in the center of the zone. then camp out to character select screen, start your sharkwire, then log on. Just sit around for 30 to 45 mins. then stop your sharkwire save your pcap. then generate the sql with the extractor. The program filters out all players characters, mercs, and pets. Just need to make sure there are no mob aggroing from anyone or you during the data collects. I did most SoF today and most zones were empty so I had the zone to myself. works out perfectly. The only 2 zone I had trouble with is Dragonscale and Loping Plains as there were other players killing mobs and such. So I just left that until I find a time that I have the whole zone to myself. Crystallos I need to get keyed for it. I just need a couple of items from Zeka and MMM then I can do the combine and I'll be able to access that zone.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinreg View Post
I just go to the zone that I want to do capture with. try to find a good spot preferebly in the center of the zone. then camp out to character select screen, start your sharkwire, then log on. Just sit around for 30 to 45 mins. then stop your sharkwire save your pcap. then generate the sql with the extractor. The program filters out all players characters, mercs, and pets. Just need to make sure there are no mob aggroing from anyone or you during the data collects. I did most SoF today and most zones were empty so I had the zone to myself. works out perfectly. The only 2 zone I had trouble with is Dragonscale and Loping Plains as there were other players killing mobs and such. So I just left that until I find a time that I have the whole zone to myself. Crystallos I need to get keyed for it. I just need a couple of items from Zeka and MMM then I can do the combine and I'll be able to access that zone.
I can get them all too when I get done with a few campaign things on my server.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:57 PM
steve
Discordant

I'm just nervous about how long I should stay in a zone to be sure I get all of the pathing. Are you staying 20 minutes in each zone?
Old 06-04-2010, 11:06 PM
robinreg
Sarnak

I usually stay sometime between 30 to 45 mins to make sure I get all the pathing. move around a bit if it's big zone like commonlands.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
I'm just nervous about how long I should stay in a zone to be sure I get all of the pathing. Are you staying 20 minutes in each zone?
5-10 minutes is fine really, to get the gist of pathing. Otherwise there's a new grid system function that KLS made that is phenomenal.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:02 AM
robinreg
Sarnak

ah I was just following the suggested time that was posted on log repository. Or was for the old collecting?
Old 06-05-2010, 01:36 AM
trevius
Developer

Ideally, collects should have no one else in the zone if possible. Otherwise, pathing is going to be messed up by people pulling and killing spawns (one of the Relic collects shows this right when you zone in due to a player obviously training the zone in). Another thing I have noticed is that mounts show up pathing all over if people are in the zone and using them. That is easy enough to correct, though.

For doors, any door that is set to opentype 157 needs to be changed to 105 and have invertstate set to 1 for them to work correctly (steamfontmts and dragonscale for example).

As for collecting good pathing grids, it is a really good idea to use a rogue for collecting if possible. Many zones are accessible via a level 51 rogue on the Mayong Server. The reason it is good to use a rogue, is because you can move around most zones fairly freely as long as you consider anything you get near to make sure it can't see you. If you want good pathing, you will need to wander through the zone one section at a time so you get good pathing collects. The further away you are from an NPC, the less updates you get and the more choppy your pathing will be for them. But, if you move from spot to spot in a zone, you can get some pretty nice pathing collects. It does take a while to do that properly.

I am sure pathing will need to be cleaned up no matter what, but with a really good collect, that cleanup could be minimal. The collects we have so far are really great either way. If someone was planning to do some major work on a zone to make it fully playable, I would highly suggest making sure you have as good a collect as possible though.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:37 AM
Derision
Developer

Quote:
Are you guys camping out to character select after getting to each zone? Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something unneeded. And will multiboxing confuse the capture?
Multiboxing can confuse the extractor and appears to be the cause of blackdragonsdg's crash.

What happens is the extractor reads each packet in the .pcap file looking for an SOE 'Session Request' packet (that the client send to the server).
When it sees a session request, it 'tentatively locks on' to that session and waits until it sees a particular packet (which was OP_NewZone and is
the packet in which the server sends various details about the zone) before deciding this is a valid EQ connection and permanently locking onto
this stream and ignoring all others.

What can happen, is if you zone in a second character before the server has sent the OP_NewZone to the first one, the extractor get's confused
by the crossed streams (oblig. Ghostbusters reference).

I've altered the extractor locally to 'permalock' to a stream when it sees an OP_ZoneEntry packet from the client to the server. This is the second
packet sent and so it is much less likely that multi-boxing will cause an issue, although of course, only the packets to/from the first client to
zone-in will be processed, but that shouldn't be an issue.

I'll push this version out later today when I've looked at another issue.

EDIT: Oh, and you don't need to camp out when you have finished. Just stop the capture and save it.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:03 AM
joligario
Developer

Derision: There's something very important I forgot to tell you.
Blackdragonsdg: What?
Derision: Don't cross the streams.
Blackdragonsdg: Why?
Derision: It would be bad.
Blackdragonsdg: I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?
Derision: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
Trevius: Total protonic reversal.
Blackdragonsdg: Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Derision.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:14 AM
robinreg
Sarnak

yeah I figured that it would not be a good idea to box on the same computer that is doing the collecting or running the wireshark. I have my 2nd account on my laptop while I go run my wireshark on my computer. Only reason I have 2nd account is to be able to do instances as you need 3 to get a group mission or expedition and the mercenary would count toward it. However, the mercenary would not be counted toward a raid expedition unfortunately.