Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:12 AM
TaichoTarpit
Fire Beetle

Default Server Hacker Silentfist

Some guy just logged on to Mikes solo server, ooc asked what repack the server was, said he'd check it, then he proceeded to wipe out npc's in the POK hub and kill players. He probably has toons elsewhere named Silentfist (monk). I hope someone reads this and he gets banned somehow.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:26 AM
Azrealvect
Sarnak

Well thats alarming. Didnt even see it on my own site and none of the windows closed so I didnt even notice it was down. Looking into this now.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:31 AM
Azrealvect
Sarnak

Server back up. No real damage was done other than some npc spawns being deleted but those were easily put back in. Thats why we do 2 back ups a day. Looking to try and figure out what he did to get access to gm commands.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:43 AM
Azrealvect
Sarnak

If anyone who plays has issues please let me know in game or at Mikessoloserver.proboards.com though it looked like he really did not know what he was doing if he was trying to actually mess stuff up. Just worried about how he got in.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:33 AM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Can you come into IRC and give us any extra details so we can determine if it's a set up or actual server issue?
Old 12-04-2015, 03:08 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Scroll down to my last three posts on this page :

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/sho...379#post245379
Old 12-04-2015, 09:05 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Yes this is concerning. You are using the repack? Has anyone else checked their command levels? Mine are showing correct and the only things I have at zero is #weather and #loc. I also checked for a player with that name and although the name is very familiar I do not show him on my servers. I have never used the repack though, I like things old school and linux based.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:18 AM
Charles082986
Sarnak

I'm still getting my server up and running. I know there's a hackers table, but I'm not sure what it does or how to use it. Is there a tutorial for those of us that are new to this for interpreting or detecting these sort of things? I hadn't thought something like this was really possible until I saw this post.

For example, I know that when I use /quit to exit out of my client when testing my server, it updates the "hackers" table, but that's the extent of my knowledge.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:21 AM
provocating
Demi-God

When certain predetermined conditions are met, it may make an entry in that table. Like if your player ended up in a certain condition too fast (warping)
Old 12-07-2015, 12:26 AM
Charles082986
Sarnak

Will it auto-detect third party applications for me or do I only see the actions performed with those applications?

I read Trevius's rules (spefically #14) relating to this topic, so I'm trying to avoid getting banned for talking about it, but I also don't want my server to get wrecked because I don't know how to diagnose the problems.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:28 AM
provocating
Demi-God

Only to some extent. Personally I think it is better to just get to know your players, the hackers and cheaters are normally pretty apparent.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:34 AM
Uleat
Developer

It won't 'intrude' into what a player is running on their machine..

But, there are certain actions that can only take place when third-party software executes it.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 12-07-2015, 12:41 AM
Charles082986
Sarnak

So I can only look for patterns of behavior, and make and educated guess? It won't just flat out tell me "Soandso is running HackerBot9000"?
Old 12-07-2015, 12:51 AM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Hackers table is more detectable MQ2 things.