Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Quests > Quests::Q&A

Quests::Q&A This is the quest support section

Old 07-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Nightlord
Sarnak

Default Hollowshade War

Anyone know if this was implemented and working?
It's not working for me and I'm not sure if I'm just not doing it correctly.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2009, 02:06 PM
vales
Discordant

Was working in PEQ, but it's been a while since I last tried it. What database are you using?
Old 07-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Nightlord
Sarnak

It's a recent peq db. When I zoned in the Grimlings had taken over all 3 camps. The cat people were still in the outpost, so I went to the southern grimling camp and killed the chieften and his guards, then the spiritists. The defenders spawned and I started clearing them out waiting for the owlbears to show up and they didn't. Went through the defenders spawns twice and still no owlbears. Then the chieften hut respawned again.

Have never done this quest on Live so I can't compare my experience.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

You should kill four Defenders, then a fifth one will spawn (wait for him), when you kill Defender 5, it will be a random draw on the other two tribes spawning in the zone.
This is as far as I got with this work (burn-out), I made all three tribes on separate spawns and implemented a 'cycle system' - I also made sure all named mobs from all the tribes had their proper drops.
The way to get the Defenders to spawn, is to kill the main boss in the dominating tribes's home cave/town. I did this a long time ago, so I forgot which were the bosses names.
Grimlings base is in the village
Wolves base is in the cave same side river as the Gremlin Village is, and Owls is in the Cave other side of river, up by cat town entrance.
I know there's more to it - but since on live, this tribal system in Hollowshade was always broken (during the period I played there), I never got a good bead on how it fully worked.
Hollowshade was a zone that never really caught on to well, because SOE was on an 'expansion bender' (they still are), so the zone and its drops quickly became worthless void the druids that farmed for Owlbear pelts.
BtW, the zone always defaults to Grimlings - if the zone is dynamic, don't zone out , else it will reset back to Grimlings.

Last edited by Angelox; 07-06-2009 at 06:04 AM..
Old 07-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Nightlord
Sarnak

Thanks for your replies guys. I just noticed that the NPC files in the quests\hollowshade folder were commented out ( # )
#a_grimling_chieftain.pl
#Ghowlik.pl
I'll uncomment them and give it another try when I have a chance.
Will report the results.

Again thanks for your time.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:28 PM
gaeorn
Developer

A # at the beginning of the file name does not "comment it out." It has that to match the spawn name. A # is only a comment within files of certain types.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Shendare
Dragon

Actually, the # at the beginning of NPC names is not like Perl # comments.

The # is actually part of the NPC name in the npc_types table, and allows script writers the ability to use multiple versions of an NPC in a zone that display the same name to players in the client, but have slightly different internal names to differentiate their Perl script files. The EQ client strips out any leading or trailing # or _ characters from an NPC's name while displaying them.

There might be three different versions of an NPC named 'Boss Guy' in a particular zone, changing out as part of a scripted raid event.

Each version would have its own npc_types entry in the database, and would have its own Perl file to handle the scripted event for that version.

So in the npc_types table there might be entries for "Boss_Guy", "#Boss_Guy", and "##Boss_Guy", and there would then be three associated .pl files in the zone's quests directory... Boss_Guy.pl, #Boss_Guy.pl, and ##Boss_Guy.pl.

Got your head around it? Or did I totally confuse you. Heh heh.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Nightlord
Sarnak

Ahh .."light turns on" That's a great idea btw. Thanks for the explanation .. heheh guess I'll have to "comment" them back in again.