Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:01 AM
JohnPublic40k
Fire Beetle

Default Resolution Issues

I have an 8800 GTS and the native resolution on my monitor is 1440x990. I've gone through a series of hurdles in getting the game to run which I will outline.

I installed the game and made the necessary changes to the server file and the desktop shortcut. Running the game would yield half a second of black screen and then an error message saying the game had encountered a problem and needed to close. After searching the forum here I found that several other people had experienced this and the solution was to lower my desktop resolution. I did that, taking it down to 1280x1024. The game ran, but in windows mode.

Once inside I changed the game resolution to 1440x990, then made the game fullscreen and everything looked great. After playing for a bit and logging off I changed my desktop resolution back to 1440x990 and gave the game a shot. It runs in a 4:3 window up until the character screen, then switches to wide screen 1440x990. If I try to go to fullscreen mode the game immediatly crashes without an error message. I figured that was fair enough and changed the desktop resolution back to 1280x1024. However the game still crashes if I attempt to go fullscreen.

In summary, the game will start while my desktop is at 1440x990 and I have been able to get the game running in 1440x990 fullscreen, but only once. No matter what desktop resolution I try now I can not get the game to run in fullscreen at 1440x990.

Can someone please help me get my ini file correct for my setup? Thanks.

EDIT: Oh, I did try tweaking the ini using this thread (http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29362) as a guide, but had no luck in solving the issue. I used his same settings but with 1440 and 990 in place of 1600 and 900 respectively. Doing this, the game would not start up at all with my desktop resolution on 1440x990.

EDIT2: I've been reading up on the issue from this and other forums. I'm at work right now so I can't test this but should the VideoMode section of my ini look like this?

[VideoMode]
Width=1440
Height=990
WidthWindowed=1024
HeightWindowed=768
WindowedWidth=1024
WindowedHeight=768
FullscreenBitsPerPixel=16
FullscreenRefreshRate=60

and if I want to run in fullscreen should "WindowedMode" be set to FALSE?

What is the difference in "WidthWindowed" and "WindowedWidth" ?
Old 11-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Sylaei
Hill Giant

The only part I can answer is the WindowedMode = false for fullscreen. I am playing on a notebook with 1600x900 max and I always play in a window, sometimes stretched to fake a fullscreen. So sorry thats all the 'help' I can give you.

"The significant problems we have cannot be solved at the same level of thinking with which we created them."
Albert Einstein
Old 11-04-2009, 10:36 AM
JohnPublic40k
Fire Beetle

Well, I've resolved to just play in windowed mode. After tinkering with it yesterday with no luck I have set it up to window at 1400x850 and it looks great. (I incorrectly reported that my monitor is 1440x990, it is in fact 1440x900.)

If anyone has a solution to getting the game to run in 1440x900 fullscreen while maintaining a 1440x900 desktop I'd still like to hear about it, but I'm content with windowed for now.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Strides
Fire Beetle

I just want to say thank you for saving me another days trouble I have been stuggling with this myself. I reinstalled the came like 4 times and running windows 7 I found that it helps to "run as administrator" even then when i set the resolution too high it locks up and has to close. I will just deal with it its free and fun.