Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:57 PM
Riklin
Hill Giant

Default Resyncing Spawn_Events - HOW???

I've been running servers for a while. I've run servers under windows 7 pro and now am running a server under with debian Linux. They both work for most things. That said, there are several zones that have specific spawns that occur based on times. They all work on the theory of being in sync with what the server game time is set to. It has to match what is in the database precisely. That is why every database set has a eqtime.cfg file. the file syncs that specific version of the database, and ONLY that database. It works perfectly as long as nothing unusual happens.

So what can happen that disrupts the time? You'd be surprised how EASY it is to screw up your game's time. Here are some ways to screw up your PEQ database time...
1. Forget to copy the new eqtime.cfg file over when you source a new version of the database.
2. Abort your server (shut down the server without using proper shutdown commands).
3. Experience a server crash.

Cavedude and others have said they cannot possibly provide a correct eqtime.cfg file for everyone, I get that. What about providing detailed instructions, or better yet a sql script to resync the database???

I have tried running scripts to reset the values in the spawn_events table, but whenever I change them, then run another query to check the values, they are changed yet again! This happens repeatedly and it's really annoying.

If you want to check whether you server timing is screwed up, go to the entrance area of lake rathetear. Those ruins right next to the south karana zoneline should have gnolls in them during the daytime and undead gnolls during the nighttime.

I have spent several days trying to figure out how to reliably resync these spawn events, but have not had any success yet. Does anyone have an exact set of steps necessary to perform a spawn_events resync???

Thanks,
Riklin (Halls Havoc)
Old 01-18-2016, 12:15 AM
provocating
Demi-God

I just copy my default eqtime.cfg over every time I restart my server, it is in the script. Since I have started doing that I have never, ever had an issue.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:00 AM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

Did you shutdown your server when changing the dates and times in the DB? If you don't, the game will just write them back out.

I had this issue a while back - my server was like 100 years behind the closest spawn event. I just shut it all down, and changed them to the next game day. Started it up and they all sync'd themselves just fine.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:40 PM
Riklin
Hill Giant

After a couple more hours, I finally got it to work in most zones, particularly Lake Rathetear. There are some things that need to be kept in mind when looking at zone timing events.

Assumption: You copied the correct EQTIME.CFG file and put in the correct place, when you created your server.

Things to keep in mind:
1. Zones only load when occupied. That means...
2. You will have to wait in the zone until the next cycle starts, before the timing events start working.
3. Some zones such as Kithicor never seem to work correctly. That zone is supposed to have high level undead at night only. They are there 24x7 now.

Steps I took to resync my server's spawn_events:
1. Shut down the server with the #worldshutdown command on a gm character.
2. Just before the server shuts down, do a /time and note the game date and time (IMPORTANT!). It will be something like: "Game Time: Saturday, June 28, 3743 - 1 AM"
3. With game server shut down, take a look at the zones in the spawn_events table. I suggest resetting one "set" of zones at a time, then confirming they work correctly, then repeating the cycle on the next set.
4. To verify your fix worked, you need to know what changes in the day/night, in the particular zone you are in. For instance, in the example Lake Rathetear, if you use the #zone or #peqzone commands, you enter the zone in the zone, near the South Karana zoneline. That's a good thing, because if you head for the lake, you come to a set of "stones" and remnants of a camp. During the day there, gnolls spawn. During the nights, undead gnolls spawn. Ironically, Gnoll Embalmers spawn in both day and night. In any case, if you adjust the next_year, next_month and next_day to the day following whatever your /time was when the server was shut down, you can confirm this pretty easily. Restart your server, then #zone or #peqzone a character to lake rathetear (lakerathe), approach the camp (stay back by the tree), then watch. There will probably not be thing at the camp, if there is you either don't have a problem with this zone, or got really lucky. If nothing is at the camp, then wait for the next day/night cycle. The gnolls should start spawning.

5. Repeat this for other zones in the spawn_events tables as needed.

Good luck! I hope this helps somebody...
Riklin (Halls Havoc)
Old 01-19-2016, 05:03 AM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

The #date command would probably have done it too. Just set it to right before your spawn events.

Also, the PEQ database doesn't have a day/night spawn for Kithicor anymore I don't think.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:41 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

I concur with N0ctrnl. Had to do the same thing (making sure spawn_events and server times were brought closer together).