Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:56 AM
Speedz
Hill Giant

Default World wide mob level scaling?

I'm not sure where to post this so I figured this was good as any.

I just had a thought/idea that I am unsure of how to implement or if it is even possible.

The idea is to make the entire server scale mobs to player levels just like in LDoN instances.

Each zone would load based off the level of the first player to enter the zone.
Tho another idea is to have the zone adjust mob levels based on an average of player levels as the zone is used.

So if a player of level 5 enters, all mobs con 1 level under to 2 levels over his level. Then say a level 15 enters, the mobs adjust to an average of level 10.

Past this, scale the loot to drop based off of level too. I wouldn't want mobs that are normally level 70 dropping level 70 loot if they scaled down to 5.

Some of this seems a bit far fetched to me, but I just thought I would dump my raw idea out there to see if anyone has ever tried this, or if it has been done/attempted before. I have my own doubts that a zone would adjust levels while it is being used...But I have not dug that deep in this to know either way.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Vexyl
Hill Giant

Interesting idea, I found myself imagining how the code would look as I was reading it. It sounds possible. The npc info is stored statically in the database, but you can edit their properties temporarily just like you can in-game.

I'm not sure why you would want to do this though. Why not just have a level 1-10 area, 10-20, etc... To save yourself work and just recycle the same zones?

Consider this:
What if two level 5's are in Crushbone having an epic battle with orc pawns and a level 20 enters the zone to kill d'vinn for his dragoon dirk? It averages to be level 10 and now they are fighting a few level 10 orc pawns. Now generalize this problem. Unless you find a solution to that then I don't really like the idea except maybe as a challenge to implement it.

Also this should be moved to Development::Feature Requests or Development:evelopment.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Speedz
Hill Giant

Those are 2 great points. I did think of the epic battle scenario.
I think if it was doable to implement this, maybe have it set that each zone can have multiple instances based on group and raid allows only.

Maybe even a stretch to not change the level of currently agro'd mobs.

The other point, I would not be against moving this to feature requests if that is more applicable.

As far as why?

Well to see if it can happen (the challenge).
Also open more ideas to custom worlds and game design.
A few examples could be a diablo type structure and the fun of exploring previously high level zones as you level up. We all know the grind of the same old zones at any given level. Even if the server is customized to heck and back, it can get boring being locked into the same set of zones per level.

Could make for interesting scaling for raids. For high end raids could also add a modifier based off average level and number of people in the raid. Then scale loot to expand on this as well.

Last example could be that the "instance" world can be limited to zones the admin sets. So then they could set server events that cover zones previously made and populated with more options available.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Simple solution to this: Instance zones and allow only your group into them. Scale the zone to the group's average level through code (this isn't supported in the emulator currently, but can be easily added) and do not allow anyone else in. Enforce trivial loot code to prevent exploitation. For example, on zone bootup a zone might have an average level of 50. Make it so anyone 60 or above cannot right click on the corpse, cannot attack NPCs (or get aggro period on them or heal anyone below the zones' level range). You'd have to code that yourself though.

It's an interesting concept and something I considered before, but I do not have the time to mess with it anymore.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Speedz
Hill Giant

Maybe someday if I get ambitious enough and figure out how to dig through it.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:44 PM
jpyou127
Discordant

Is it possible to scale instances easier with the current state of the EMU? I ran across this in my searches and I had an idea to do this.

Celestial
Old 04-13-2017, 02:34 PM
Albator
Fire Beetle

I think someone said recently to use lua to do it but didn't give any hints how to go about it. The lua forum is pretty barren but does look like it has lots of potential.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:08 PM
jpyou127
Discordant

This is what I am wanting to do: http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37660

Celestial
Old 04-13-2017, 03:49 PM
The_Beast
Discordant

With mobs scaling to player level, I always think about the old Forgotten Halls on live. I noticed CoN server, on the alla clone, implies the FH expedition
is working there ?

http://chroniclesofnorrath.com/alla/quest.php?id=5790
Old 04-14-2017, 12:46 AM
Coenxai
Hill Giant

Absolutely possible and not the most difficult to implement but itemization would be weird
Old 04-14-2017, 07:08 AM
jpyou127
Discordant

Ahh, never thought about itemization. That would be difficult.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:20 AM
Albator
Fire Beetle

It is even easier to scale the amount of drops with the amount of players. Is that the issue? Because difficulty scaling would mean that no matter how many people are present the mob would be the same difficulty to kill.