Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:15 PM
blackdragonsdg
Dragon

Default Everquest F2P on Steam

Title says it all. I don't yet know the client version as I am still downloading it.

Code:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/205710/
Old 12-13-2012, 09:44 PM
trevius
Developer

Hell yeah!

They must have just put that up, cause I checked it about 8 hours ago and it wasn't there. Downloading it now and will begin test it to see if it will be useable with EQEmu tonight or this weekend. This is something I was really starting to doubt would ever happen considering they skipped 2 expansions.

Also, why do you always surround links with a code box? You know that makes it so people can't click them and instead have to copy and paste them to use them? To make a link, just paste it without putting it inside a code box like so:

*** EDIT ***
I am not "downloading it now" as there is an error that says "An error occurred while installing EverQuest Free-to-Play (No Subscription)" when I try to go through the install. Hopefully that issue gets resolved. Or, maybe there is something I need to do to resolve it, but not really sure what that is...

Last edited by trevius; 12-13-2012 at 10:13 PM..
Old 12-13-2012, 09:57 PM
blackdragonsdg
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
Also, why do you always surround links with a code box? You know that makes it so people can't click them and instead have to copy and paste them to use them? To make a link, just paste it without putting it inside a code box like so:

Sorry it is a habit. Some of the other web forums I read require it to be done that way and when I come on here I just do that without thinking about it.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:06 PM
ghanja
Dragon

I believe they do that to keep the referring website hidden and 'hides' it from search engines (some bb software).
Old 12-13-2012, 10:52 PM
blackdragonsdg
Dragon

Well now this was a bit unexpected: Starting EverQuest (Built Dec 10 2012 17:35:44)
Either I am dreaming or Christmas just came early for eqemu. The Steam version matches the current live build.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:13 PM
sorvani
Dragon

someone get the RoF version? just to see if the client is the same? I expect it is, but you never know.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:57 PM
trevius
Developer

I think it is safe to assume that the RoF version is the same, but if anyone happens to buy the expansion so they can play it on Live or whatever, please do a version check on it as well as described here:

http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka...ClientVersions

And for anyone that runs into the same install error I was getting, I figured out how to resolve it. You just need to completely exit Steam and restart it. If you have troubles doing that, just restart your PC and it should download fine.

I highly recommend everyone downloading this now. As soon as I can validate a few things, I will make a news post about it to make sure people start getting it while they can (in case it goes away but let's hope it doesn't). As long as both the F2P and RoF downloads don't both poof from Steam, we should have a valid client available for EQEmu again for a while to come. The only reason I suggest getting it now is incase they remove the F2P download and leave the RoF one which costs money. You can't beat free!

Last edited by trevius; 12-14-2012 at 03:24 AM..
Old 12-14-2012, 01:55 AM
Dougal_Dragon
Fire Beetle

Awesome I have the client saved to waiting hope all goes well for EMU on this
Old 12-14-2012, 04:37 AM
Noport
Opcode Ninja

RoF version is the same, (Built Dec 10 2012) and works the same on eqemu i have Live and Gold access RoF get all maps etc here http://rof.eqresource.com/index.php
Old 12-14-2012, 04:46 AM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noport View Post
RoF version is the same, (Built Dec 10 2012) and works the same on eqemu i have Live and Gold access RoF
Yes, but did you purchase RoF through Steam and check the build date before patching? I assume the answer is no, which means that isn't the info we are looking for. Really, the Steam RoF download is almost certainly the same as the F2P download from Steam, so it shouldn't matter. We were just asking if anyone has been able to verify that yet. It is pretty low priority though since the F2P client is readily available on Steam.

For now, probably the most important thing is to get EQExtractor2 working with the current Live client to make the opcode and structure work easier to do. I don't know of an easy way to do it using Wireshark. I figure we can use the info that showeq has found for the new client to get the extractor working, and then go from there. Once I can get packet dumps, I can start working on getting logged in, which hopefully shouldn't be too hard. Then there is the matter of populating the rest of the opcodes and adding all of the new structures and encode/decodes which is the majority of the work for client compatibility.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:02 AM
Noport
Opcode Ninja

the file size for RoF is 10.5 gig give or take a few because i added mapfiles to it.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:27 AM
trevius
Developer

Old 12-14-2012, 07:01 AM
Noport
Opcode Ninja

So are you replying you would like to see my RoF.conf file and or the dump file? 80)
Old 12-14-2012, 07:15 AM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
So are you replying you would like to see my RoF.conf file and or the dump file? 80)
Edit - Actually, it looks like it should be pretty easy for me to get the packet dumps and opcode stuff all worked out. It will be the struct work and encodes/decodes that will be tough.

Last edited by trevius; 12-14-2012 at 02:12 PM..
Old 12-14-2012, 08:44 AM
joligario
Developer

Quote:
the file size for RoF is 10.5 gig give or take a few because i added mapfiles to it.
Untouched Steam download I have:

Code:
Size: 8.74 GB (9,391,893,562 bytes)
Size on disk: 8.76 GB (9,412,734,976 bytes)
Contains: 8,385 Files, 54 Folders