Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Zordana
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkim View Post
Zordana,

The patcher looks to be coming along nicely. Just wondering if you were planning on having this open source at some point so others could hack on the code?

-ork
not sure about this yet, since the only reason to do so would be to "prove" that it doesnt have any backdoors or shit like that.. but there are other ways to find out things like that.. you can basicaly track everything an application does..
projects like this is my hobby, so its like giving away my hobby if others work on it if you know what i mean
Old 05-10-2010, 07:12 PM
orkim
Sarnak

I'd be more interested to have open source so if you happen to disappear, others (or myself, or whatever) could pick it up and continue working with it. All to often it seems people burn out after X days/weeks/months/years/etc and it would be nice to be able to extend it. Personally anyways, that why I much prefer open source applications to use in my projects.

However, that said, 99% of the time I never even look at the source code. Guess it's more of the idea that I *COULD* if I wanted too, not that I even would. Just imagine something down the road changing and not being able to update the patcher. :P

Just my $0.02 about it.

-ork
Old 05-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Zordana
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkim View Post
I'd be more interested to have open source so if you happen to disappear, others (or myself, or whatever) could pick it up and continue working with it. All to often it seems people burn out after X days/weeks/months/years/etc and it would be nice to be able to extend it. Personally anyways, that why I much prefer open source applications to use in my projects.

However, that said, 99% of the time I never even look at the source code. Guess it's more of the idea that I *COULD* if I wanted too, not that I even would. Just imagine something down the road changing and not being able to update the patcher. :P

Just my $0.02 about it.

-ork
yeah, true, if i will EVER stop playing EQ or stop being that involved with that, i will make it opensource, definitly.. when toys get bored, i throw em into the folks if they want it :>
Old 05-10-2010, 11:21 PM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

Sadly many of the good tools never have their source released.. Back in 2003 there were some great programs which I only have the compiled code. I could therefore never study how they were coded, or fix them when we were chasing live then. Think of the spell editors that probably don't work any more...

GeorgeS

http://www.georgestools.chrsschb.com//
Old 05-11-2010, 12:15 AM
Akkadius
Administrator

It's coming along quite nicely. He's adjusting path-files per client so each client will load files accordingly.

Background will look white in this case, it's really transparent.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:48 AM
Taurinus
Hill Giant

Looks good. What's it written in? My quick guess is something.net.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:21 AM
Zordana
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurinus View Post
Looks good. What's it written in? My quick guess is something.net.
yep, written in c#
Old 05-11-2010, 08:41 AM
RichardoX
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeS View Post
Sadly many of the good tools never have their source released.. Back in 2003 there were some great programs which I only have the compiled code. I could therefore never study how they were coded, or fix them when we were chasing live then. Think of the spell editors that probably don't work any more...

GeorgeS
Yeah, do you remember in eqemu ver. 4.5-5.0 when the eqemu tool was available? It was an all-in-one emu editor that worked very well I might add. It had an item editor, loot editor, grid creator, character manager and a lot more. Unfortunately that fell through as eqemu progressed and I do not believe the source was ever released.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Zordana
Sarnak

need a tester (with titanium client)!
send me a PM
Old 05-16-2010, 09:20 AM
Zordana
Sarnak

Version 1.0
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31288