Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 06-27-2005, 09:12 AM
animekenji
Fire Beetle

Default Winters Roar down indefinitely

Winters Roar will apparently not be playable for the foreseeable future due to a Cease a Desist Order issued against them by Sony. The website is gone and the login server is unreachable.

http:\\67.15.24.48\

It's too bad. WR was much more fun than Sony's version. :-(

I hope they'll be back online soon.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:01 PM
Hellefire
Fire Beetle

Default Wr

Hm, that sucks. If anyone gets more info on this or finds out how I can help WR, please post here.

Hellefire
Old 06-27-2005, 06:53 PM
land.admiral
Fire Beetle

Default sad day

tis a sad sad day
Old 06-27-2005, 07:43 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

The obvious solution is a total replacement client--models (player and mob), zones, weapons, icons, the whole nine yards. IMHO the hardest part of it is the content, not the code. There is an OpenEQ section about *coding* a client, but it might be a good idea to set up a section where people can organize calls for replacement content and post submissions:

- spell icons
- item icons
- player models
- creature (monster) models
- zones (though the OpenZone section is good for this)

I'm not surprised they shut WR down, if nothing else because WR, with 300+ players, was actually beginning to compete against live on a non-trivial level. We've had a day to lament it's loss (well, you have; I've never seen WR), but in loss there is also opportunity: I've lost count of the number of people in the past couple of months who have expressed to me a desire to create original content beyond zones. This would be an exellent time to organize a total (and I *do* mean total) divorce from the live client. With a 100% home-grown client that uses not a single byte of SOE's content, a post-WR server could tell them to pound sand (as well as branch out into game systems beyond EQ's, which IMHO is like D&D For Dummies).
Old 06-27-2005, 09:40 PM
KhaN
Dragon

So true WC ...

Im very Sorry for Wiz and its staff, but it had to happen one day ...

Old 06-28-2005, 03:20 AM
Traul
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windcatcher
The obvious solution is a total replacement client--models (player and mob), zones, weapons, icons, the whole nine yards. IMHO the hardest part of it is the content, not the code. There is an OpenEQ section about *coding* a client, but it might be a good idea to set up a section where people can organize calls for replacement content and post submissions:

- spell icons
- item icons
- player models
- creature (monster) models
- zones (though the OpenZone section is good for this)

I'm not surprised they shut WR down, if nothing else because WR, with 300+ players, was actually beginning to compete against live on a non-trivial level. We've had a day to lament it's loss (well, you have; I've never seen WR), but in loss there is also opportunity: I've lost count of the number of people in the past couple of months who have expressed to me a desire to create original content beyond zones. This would be an exellent time to organize a total (and I *do* mean total) divorce from the live client. With a 100% home-grown client that uses not a single byte of SOE's content, a post-WR server could tell them to pound sand (as well as branch out into game systems beyond EQ's, which IMHO is like D&D For Dummies).
Sounds like that's the plan. When Wiz shutdown the server he announced the WR dev team is working on a complete stand-alone game called Dawntide, with a new client and everything.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:49 AM
solid11
Discordant

Please don't get pissed at this because I'm just saying how I feel and it's just an opinion.

I feel it's BS how insecure Sony is feeling with their UBER mult-billion dollar company against one little independant server. I'm going off rumor, but if it is about the name of the site as a problem, then I say change the name just to stick it in their face. Again just a humble opinion.

Also, I like WC's enthusiasm for a totally custom content server, BUT what drew me to this site is because it is "EQ"Emu. I love that I can play and help create live like content without putting up with Sony's BS. To be totally honest I would have never come to this site if it wasn't about EQ, and I am willing to bet 99.9% of everyone else would say the same thing.

A spin off of custom content from this site would be awesome because we all like to play/create new things from time to time, but I hope there will be an equal divide between EQ and custom, not a total abandonment of either.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:55 AM
Shazzel
Fire Beetle

If you read up on "Dawntide" it is sounding alot like EQ with their own code , zone , races , class's etc.

They need to get a pre-alpha website/forums up.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:23 AM
steihl
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazzel
If you read up on "Dawntide" it is sounding alot like EQ with their own code , zone , races , class's etc.

They need to get a pre-alpha website/forums up.
They're working on it. Wiz said there should be a rough palyable alpha within a month or so. The game was in the works for a while, they already have an engine, because they expected something like this would eventually happen. =P
Old 06-28-2005, 08:24 AM
Sarepean
Discordant

Very smart. =) I'll probably jump on the bandwagon when they release it.

Way to stick it to Sony, guys! Let them know that we're not going to take their crap and that a bunch of people who like Everquest are going to break away from "flattering" Sony by attempting to mimic their server and make their own game that will probably have half the bugs and downtime.

Not to mention that it'll be a good thing for everyone that they no longer have to go on Sony's patching schedule.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:28 AM
Woodlife Treestrider
Banned

Well, that is quite possibly the most disturbing thing I have read in month's.... Not 3 days ago, I sent a PM to WindCatcher offering to lend a hand to a "server" a few of my friends and I are making. The difference is, I told him we were making custom everything. Custom weapons, npcs, zones, you name it. We eventually will change to a custom DB cause the current one is getting to be pointless. WindCatcher can vouch for the validity of the PM, infact I have an unread PM in my box, most likely from WC. Seeing this topic, I could not wait to post a reply.

Elements of Norrath was first planned to be a server with a lot of custom content, by EQEmu standards atleast. But, ever since the addition of our modeler, Percy, a great many doors have been opened to the idea of just making a new game in itself. Here is an example of how good Percy is. Kerosh showed him the zones made by Khan for WoA, and I guess percy responded by saying they wre "disgusting" or something to the effect. I guess if you would like to compare his zones to artwork, you could say his "paintings" make the Mona Lisa look like a child's scribling. But, enough with that. The weird part of this post is the fact that we were just wishing some of the top end dev's would help out to make this new game get developed faster. The fact that WC posted the idea of that happening seems very weird, and seems like possibly the emu community as a whole would like to see it happen.

Point is, if you would like to help, feel free. We deffinately need a large staff to get the project moving at a decent pace. Contact Luft, Kerosh, or myself. We will be glad to look into your application.

Orknel
Old 06-28-2005, 10:48 AM
Traul
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlife Treestrider
Well, that is quite possibly the most disturbing thing I have read in month's.... Not 3 days ago, I sent a PM to WindCatcher offering to lend a hand to a "server" a few of my friends and I are making. The difference is, I told him we were making custom everything. Custom weapons, npcs, zones, you name it. We eventually will change to a custom DB cause the current one is getting to be pointless. WindCatcher can vouch for the validity of the PM, infact I have an unread PM in my box, most likely from WC. Seeing this topic, I could not wait to post a reply.

Elements of Norrath was first planned to be a server with a lot of custom content, by EQEmu standards atleast. But, ever since the addition of our modeler, Percy, a great many doors have been opened to the idea of just making a new game in itself. Here is an example of how good Percy is. Kerosh showed him the zones made by Khan for WoA, and I guess percy responded by saying they wre "disgusting" or something to the effect. I guess if you would like to compare his zones to artwork, you could say his "paintings" make the Mona Lisa look like a child's scribling. But, enough with that. The weird part of this post is the fact that we were just wishing some of the top end dev's would help out to make this new game get developed faster. The fact that WC posted the idea of that happening seems very weird, and seems like possibly the emu community as a whole would like to see it happen.

Point is, if you would like to help, feel free. We deffinately need a large staff to get the project moving at a decent pace. Contact Luft, Kerosh, or myself. We will be glad to look into your application.

Orknel
Honestly, that post made no sense to me... Not to sound like a jerk or anything but how does the probable death of Winter's Roar have anything to do with the development of your server?
Old 06-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Wiz
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlife Treestrider

Orknel
Arrogance is not a good measure of ability.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Woodlife Treestrider
Banned

Because, when the oppurtunity to make an extremely custom server came up, we ended up planning on making a whole "game" instead of just a server. But, overwhelmed by how much we noticed we were planning on doing, we knew it would be a longtime coming. With the closing of Winter's Roar, WindCatcher made a post suggesting making a game beyond an EQEmu server. That makes everyone else realize that would be a good idea, and makes people want to help out. With that, it may be easier to find skilled people willing to help, making our "server" get developed a lot faster. If all goes as planned, than the game will be up much faster than projected.

P.S.: It's funny how it takes the closing of one of the best, if not the best, servers on EQEmu, and the posting of a senior member, to make people want to join together and make something more than just another server. I guess having almost 800 posts gives you some say. Either way, once again if you have the skills necesarry and want to do something with it, then feel free to PM and we will talk.

Orknel
Old 06-28-2005, 11:11 AM
Woodlife Treestrider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz
Arrogance is not a good measure of ability.
Obviously some people do not understand the point of my post. Sorry for any imperfections in the post, but the point of it was:

Because of the fact that WR was faced with legal problems, WindCatcher suggested that this community as a whole develop a game that has nothing to do with Sony. This would give the developers who want to use their skills without facing legal problems a place to practice.

Sense we (luft, kerosh, a few others, and myself) were planning on doing that, but on a smaller scale do to lack of support, I figured I would give the oppurtunity to anyone interested. I guess you could say I was "advertising" it, but I was in no way trying to use WR's downfall as a footstep for us.