Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:36 PM
Shendare
Dragon

Ooh, googling for Tegra led to a nice blast from the past:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/games_everquest.html
Old 10-13-2015, 09:59 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryatis View Post
This Marcus guy is going to get me banned again... so many posts, so little willpower to not shit them up!
Holy crap.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:11 PM
MarcusD
Banned

I did not inhale...

And remember p99 didn't use everquest source code! They just built the code from scratch. Obviously.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:23 AM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Join us, we need someone like you. Check our site out here: https://www.illuminatiofficial.org/
Old 10-14-2015, 06:47 AM
MarcusD
Banned

Why did DikuMud drop the charges when SOE made the sworn statement? How would you like to go up against Sony in court? A little volunteer nonprofit footing private investigation bills and litigation bills when sony could easily out lawyer you? There was no hope. They knew there was no way forward to pursue it. Even if they took leaked eq source code sony could just claim it wasn't the real source code.

A smart man once said: "The secret to creativity is learning how to hide your sources".
Old 10-14-2015, 08:38 AM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusD View Post
A smart man once said: "I see Jesus in my breakfast waffle".
/10 chars/
Old 10-14-2015, 11:59 AM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

So what the hell is the point of all this anyway? If you wanna wrap an engine around DikuMUD, why not just do it? What difference does any of this make?

It seems like you really want to do this, but you have no skillset or knowledge where to even begin. So instead of learning any of that, you're going to come here and spend page after page trying to convince people of something that may or may not have happened 15+ years ago. But then what? You planning to actually help out or just sit back and talk about how much you know and what you're sure of?

It seems at least reasonably clear to me at this point that you're on your own. The sooner you realize that the better off you'll probably be.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:03 PM
Shendare
Dragon

It can be quite self-entertaining to leap to the worst possible conclusions and suspect people's intentions, motivations, and ethics to be the worst they could be. It can also feel morally rewarding to root for the underdog against a big, mighty corporation. Go down the conspiracy consideration rabbit hole far enough and one might even feel like one has figured out a secret answer and solution that others simply haven't considered.

One would be wise to keep in mind, however, that it is all an exercise in the imagination. Very little, if any, is likely to be reflected in how situations actually played out. The reality of human experience very rarely organizes itself into good versus evil, and nobody has a working crystal ball to look back and see things play out first-hand.

Verant said EQ was inspired by DikuMUD and other MUDs and role-playing games. One guy said it was 'based on' DikuMUD. That choice of words inspired the imaginations of some to suspect that meant they somehow stole something from DikuMUD in order to accomplish their success.

Such has been deemed to be a faulty interpretation. The lead of the development team for EverQuest made a sworn statement that such was not true, as shown in the above linked image. DikuMUD acknowledged the statement and, one should pay special attention to this part, specifically stated that they do not believe EverQuest stole anything from or infringed on anything related to DikiMUD.

Quote:
After two hectic days Verant and the DIKU group jointly resolved the DIKU MUD / EverQuest infringement rumors on March 17th, 2000 .

The DIKU group received a sworn statement from Verant, and the DIKU group thus no longer finds any reason what-so-ever to believe any of the rumors that EverQuest should be based on DIKU MUD.

The DIKU group is proud that "the DIKU feeling" has found its way into a game as enjoyable and award winning as EverQuest.
Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20030808...everquest.aspx

They love EverQuest, and they're proud to have been an inspiration. These are friendly interactions of support for one another. All progress and invention is made based on improvements to that which came before. One common related phrase is that of "standing on the shoulders of giants" to reflect that better and better creations are only possible because we have the innovators of the past to support and guide us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standi...ders_of_giants
Old 10-14-2015, 03:49 PM
MarcusD
Banned

If you want to know the point of all this read the topic. I am not rooting for an underdog I am showing people that DikuMUD is the part about everquest that we all fell in love with. DikuMUD is the spirit behind everquest. We can use dikumud and slap on a gui to make spiritual successors to everquest. It goes from a dead end nostalgia preserve to path forward to revolutionize the MMO industry. Unlike SONY we can use DikuMUD code legally to write our own MMO's, we just have to give them away for free. Gaining experience from that we could write our own MUD and base MMO's off of that and charge money for them.

Also Circlemud is a dikumud derivative that is probably the most viable with current OS' and programs but I am having trouble compiling it. it requires Microsoft visual c++ which I have in visual studio but not really sure how to make that work I ran it and got 1 successful build which when run is a blank project.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:11 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
We can use dikumud
Who is this we? Do you have a mouse in your pocket when you are talking? There is no we. There is you.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:44 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

I usually don't get involved in stuff like this, by stuff I mean obvious flaming/trolling/bashing for the sole purpose of bringing down a project because of intense ass pain. But if you think you have even the slightest idea as to where to begin with your DickInMud source code, you can go ahead, you'll be a solo developer in an empty repository, you're not drawing any contributors here, you're leaving a bad taste in peoples' mouths, your reason unbeknownst to me, but that's beside the point. Don't expect to draw a crowd or a following when you base your whole idea around trying to trash the reputation of the biggest EverQuest emulator server there has ever been (Project 1999), and believe that no one will throw you some factual evidence of your obvious third-grade level intellect regarding dealing with your anger or whatever your feelings were when you made this post and your other post regarding Project 1999. Just do yourself a favor and stop, you're like 1,000 feet too deep already, don't dig any deeper.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:50 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Feel free to contribute: https://github.com/KinglyKrab/DickInMud
Old 10-14-2015, 06:56 PM
MarcusD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingly_Krab View Post
I usually don't get involved in stuff like this, by stuff I mean obvious flaming/trolling/bashing for the sole purpose of bringing down a project because of intense ass pain. But if you think you have even the slightest idea as to where to begin with your DickInMud source code, you can go ahead, you'll be a solo developer in an empty repository, you're not drawing any contributors here, you're leaving a bad taste in peoples' mouths, your reason unbeknownst to me, but that's beside the point. Don't expect to draw a crowd or a following when you base your whole idea around trying to trash the reputation of the biggest EverQuest emulator server there has ever been (Project 1999), and believe that no one will throw you some factual evidence of your obvious third-grade level intellect regarding dealing with your anger or whatever your feelings were when you made this post and your other post regarding Project 1999. Just do yourself a favor and stop, you're like 1,000 feet too deep already, don't dig any deeper.
Lol I have no clue what you are talking about man. I am teaching people history and showing them a path forward for developing spiritual successors to everquest. I don't need or want any followers, everything I've done I have done on my own. I would love to know why EQEmu has let P99 walk all over them and trash their GPL license. Awaiting your factual evidence.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:58 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Lol I have no clue what you are talking about man. I am teaching people history and showing them a path forward for developing spiritual successors to everquest. I don't need or want any followers, everything I've done I have done on my own. I would love to know why EQEmu has let P99 walk all over them and trash their GPL license. Awaiting your factual evidence.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:00 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Quote:
You probably should check your privilege, and what exactly have you done other than show your ignorance on a public forum with no hope of coming back?