Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:42 PM
MarcusD
Banned

Default Wait isn't EQEmu GNU GPL? P99?

So I was reading the source code and saw that EQEmulator is GNU licensed. If I am not mistaken GNU allows you to do whatever you want with the code but you have to keep it open source. So that means you can monetize it and sell it but no matter what your product has to be open source.

Doesn't this mean that p99 is required to open their source code?
Old 10-14-2015, 03:56 PM
Cilraaz
Sarnak

Holy baby Jesus. You've got quite a grudge there, don't you?
Old 10-14-2015, 03:57 PM
MarcusD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
Ad hominem or can you answer my question?
Old 10-14-2015, 04:01 PM
Cilraaz
Sarnak

No, just the ad hominem. I've had enough of actually dealing with your viewpoints after the DikuMUD tinfoil hat and visions of grandeur with zero coding or database ability to back them up. I'm pretty sure most of the active community is with me on that.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:02 PM
Demi-God

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq....cePostedPublic

Does the GPL require that source code of modified versions be posted to the public? (#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic)

The GPL does not require you to release your modified version, or any part of it. You are free to make modifications and use them privately, without ever releasing them. This applies to organizations (including companies), too; an organization can make a modified version and use it internally without ever releasing it outside the organization.

But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL requires you to make the modified source code available to the program's users, under the GPL.

Thus, the GPL gives permission to release the modified program in certain ways, and not in other ways; but the decision of whether to release it is up to you.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:10 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusD View Post
Ad hominem or can you answer my question?
Here, I'll answer it: Yes, it's GPL. As an old developer myself I can tell you there's a cold chance in hell P99 will give you their source code. Even if you do manage to get that from them, you'd still need the database - which isn't covered under GPL.

TL;DR you got banned for P99 and are pretty mad about it and are looking at ways to bring them down. Been there, done that, realized it was more important to, you know, actually fucking work on a project instead of bitch all day on message boards.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:42 PM
provocating
Demi-God

I mean you posted so many threads over on the p1999 forums they basically not only banned you, but deleted just about every thread you ever started. You can only be trolling over here, you know what you are doing, so cut it out.

And I quote....

“You’ve ruined your own lands, you’ll not ruin mine!”

So leave my beloved EqEmu alone.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:44 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
Yes. He got banned from p99.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:41 PM
MarcusD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by image View Post
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq....cePostedPublic

Does the GPL require that source code of modified versions be posted to the public? (#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic)

The GPL does not require you to release your modified version, or any part of it. You are free to make modifications and use them privately, without ever releasing them. This applies to organizations (including companies), too; an organization can make a modified version and use it internally without ever releasing it outside the organization.

But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL requires you to make the modified source code available to the program's users, under the GPL.

Thus, the GPL gives permission to release the modified program in certain ways, and not in other ways; but the decision of whether to release it is up to you.
So what that means is someone could make their own private server and play at home and modify the code without releasing their code but as soon as you post your server on EQEmu you have to release your modified source code.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:42 PM
MarcusD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonstar55 View Post
Yes. He got banned from p99.
What is your source for that?
Old 10-14-2015, 06:43 PM
MarcusD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocating View Post
I mean you posted so many threads over on the p1999 forums they basically not only banned you, but deleted just about every thread you ever started. You can only be trolling over here, you know what you are doing, so cut it out.

And I quote....

“You’ve ruined your own lands, you’ll not ruin mine!”

So leave my beloved EqEmu alone.
Your making stuff up
Old 10-14-2015, 06:45 PM
MarcusD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets View Post
Here, I'll answer it: Yes, it's GPL. As an old developer myself I can tell you there's a cold chance in hell P99 will give you their source code. Even if you do manage to get that from them, you'd still need the database - which isn't covered under GPL.

TL;DR you got banned for P99 and are pretty mad about it and are looking at ways to bring them down. Been there, done that, realized it was more important to, you know, actually fucking work on a project instead of bitch all day on message boards.
I think what needs to happen is they need to be removed from EQEmu server list because they have violated the GPL. I was never banned btw. I left. Pretty sure the database is part of EQEmu's copyrighted material so that is included in the GPL as well.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:54 PM
Shendare
Dragon

I am afraid your certainty is not well founded in that last point. The p99 developers built their database, pulling from verifiable sources of classic spawn, quest, and drop information. They do not share the one that we use.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:02 PM
Uleat
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusD
So what that means is someone could make their own private server and play at home and modify the code without releasing their code but as soon as you post your server on EQEmu you have to release your modified source code.
You're missing the exclusion clause:
Quote:
They are NOT releasing P99 binaries to the public, so they are not obligated by the GNU GPL to release their source code.

They are only providing a public service up to the point of their connection to the internet. Behind that, all is private - including their binaries.

Compilin' Dirty
Old 10-14-2015, 07:05 PM
Kingly_Krab
Administrator

Project 1999 is an independently operated server, with Rogean on the team they can do whatever they want. Literally, he hosts the login server, no one can take him off of it either, like do you think before you make a post, honestly? Rogean is part of the Administration here, along with KLS, Cavedude, and Akkadius. If anyone has the right to do what they want, it's those guys. Also the fact of the matter is, they don't have to freely distribute something they created, their database schema is likely miles different from ours, nor is it even handled under the GPL, so that's a pointless thing to poke and prod at. Project 1999's source code is something they don't want released, they have custom code for supporting their classic experience, such as enabling old models and stuff, as well as limiting some stuff client-side. None of this has to be released unless they want it to be. And do you realize how awful it'd be to have 3,000 Project 1999 copies?