Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Quests > Quests::Q&A

Quests::Q&A This is the quest support section

Old 02-06-2009, 12:56 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Yeah, I'd use the task system for that. It has more of an initial learning curve than quests, but it has proven to be far more powerful. Once you get the hang of it, and use KLS' awesome editor you'll find it is easier than writing quests! In this case, using globals as a counter is just plain ugly. I hate the practice myself, and am often required to do so for lack of a better alternative. Since your server is custom you can take advantage of the task system, since you're not bound by what's Live Like.

Here is all the info you'll ever need, be sure to read everything: http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka...SystemOverview

Here is KLS' taskmaster editor: http://code.google.com/p/projecteqemu/downloads/list

Last edited by cavedude; 02-06-2009 at 09:01 PM..
Old 02-06-2009, 05:20 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

unless I am wrong Task system has 1 annoying thing - you must do steps in order.

Basicly if step 2 asks you to kill 10 orcs and step 1 asks you to kill 10 goblins - untill you kill the goblins killing of orcs complitly pointless which in turn becomes annoying having to kill in the specific order (i can understand when it matters for a progression quest, but when you have 2 mobs sitting next to each other one giving you credit and other does not untill you get to that step of the task - realy gets on my nerves)

so quetsion is- can you ste it so steps can be done out of order or that is a no-no in task system?
Old 02-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Derision
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayer View Post
unless I am wrong Task system has 1 annoying thing - you must do steps in order.
You're wrong.

If all activities have the step column set to zero, they must be completed in order.

If any activity has non-zero step number, than all activities with the same step number can be worked on simultaneously.

See Task 16, Arachnida in the PEQ DB for an example.

I agree with you though, writing tasks by hand can be a pain in the a**e

Last edited by Derision; 02-07-2009 at 02:29 AM.. Reason: Tried to clarify things a bit.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Randymarsh9
Dragon

Ok, I don't get how to give the task to an NPC to assign it to people. i have a basic task written up in the task creator, but now I don't know what to do with it.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Randymarsh9
Dragon

Can anyone tell me how to make an NPC make this task selectable? I am looking at a list of task commands, but I can't figure out where I will put them.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Derision
Developer

Using a Perl quest, quest::assigntask(100) is one way. If you have a number of tasks, e.g. 100,101,102 that you want them to be able to choose from, use quest::taskselector(100,101,102).

The list of the Perl task functions is here:

http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka...kSystemPerlAPI
Old 02-21-2009, 04:50 PM
Randymarsh9
Dragon

i am using that task creator that someone suggested, and I keep having a problem with it where no matter what the reward method keeps going back to perl quest reward. All I want is for it to give the item that I put as the reward, but even if I save it, as soon as I reload the task it makes it reward type perl quest reward again.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Randymarsh9
Dragon

nvm. I just edited it in navicat and it fixed it.